American Medical Association Report: 1-2 hoursday = Video Ga

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:44 pm

If you can get your crap done and you're left with 6 hours of time left to your day - play away.

If you have 6 hours left in a day, then you shouldn't fill it in with an addiction or something unproductive. You should spend them on finding why you have 6 hrs left in a day, and try to fill those with real life.

Everyone needs a way to destress, to completely check out so to speak, of day to day life. As long as you aren't putting off seeing friends, dating, and other things, and - this is the biggy for me - you can stop at anytime without freaking out - then there's no problem with it.

Agreed with this. And it seems that the suggested maximum is 1-2hrs per day.

You still haven't countered it, though. If I choose to play video games for an hour instead of watching TV, not only is that worse, but I'm an addict? Really? What does TV teach you, again? Certainly not complex problem solving skills...and neither does juggling. I would argue that video games (some more than others) are a lot more productive with regard to most kinds of cognitive development than television. In fact, just about any negative argument you could make about video games would also work against television...in many cases more so. :shrug:

Addiction to television is just as real as addiction to video games. And in fact, it is likely much more common in the general population. Hence, the similar recommendation of television programming.
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 1:00 am

If you have 6 hours left in a day, then you shouldn't fill it in with an addiction or something unproductive. You should spend them on finding why you have 6 hrs left in a day, and try to fill those with real life.
Totally subjective. :shrug: We "should" all be eating our vegetables and loving one another too.

Addiction to television is just as real as addiction to video games. And in fact, it is likely much more common in the general population. Hence, the similar recommendation of television programming.
If 1-2 hours of television per day constitutes an addiction then I'd say we have an epidemic on our hands. :ahhh:
Josee Leach

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Umm.... so what exactly do you think is worth those 6 hours of my life? What do I have to do that would be considered "ok" in your book?
Victor Oropeza

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Such as what? Are you suggesting that everybody wake up, and work their butts off their entire waking hours until they fall into bed? That's much less healthy than playing video games. It's also completely unnatural.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 1:20 am

I feel like I should bring attention to a few videos that Extra Credits did on the subject, and how "addiction" isn't really the correct term.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-addiction-pt.1

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-addiction-pt.2
Aman Bhattal

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Umm.... so what exactly do you think is worth those 6 hours of my life? What do I have to do that would be considered "ok" in your book?

It depends on your current situation. If you are rich and have your future secured, then you can reproduce to have children - they should easily take up the time. If you live in a trailer, you can get a second job to get a better, larger trailer. If you did not finish college, now is your chance. As you can see, it all depends.
gandalf

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm

It depends on your current situation. If you are rich and have your future secured, then you can reproduce to have children - they should easily take up the time. If you live in a trailer, you can get a second job to get a better, larger trailer. If you did not finish college, now is your chance. As you can see, it all depends.
So which is it, then? Do we mindlessly follow the arbitrary guidelines or should we think for ourselves and try to make intelligent decisions based on our situations? I'm so confused! :tongue:
Ross Zombie

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 am

People waste WAAAYYY more time on verbal mastvrbation with their friends on handheld devices than console or PC gaming, if there's any trend for people in their right mind to be worried about with electronics overstimulation, personally I think it's addiction to useless, unproductive, constant babble and text on phones.

Furher, I wonder if gaming is a bit healthier than TV addiction, the most lethargic people I know are people that watch hours upon hours of TV a day.

On the other hand, whatever my personal likes, our society is too obsessed with being productive anyway, personally I want to enjoy life, if that means doing something that the AMA deems unhealthy occasionally, well then I guess the AMA can eat one.
Life long Observer

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:49 pm

It depends on your current situation. If you are rich and have your future secured, then you can reproduce to have children - they should easily take up the time.

Oh, wow.

Just....wow.
Tiffany Carter

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I spend 1-2 hours a day sitting and staring blankly at my computer screen. Does that mean I have a sitting and staring blankly addiction? Are there any help groups for that?

Anyway, even with 2 hours a day for food, 2 hours a day for housekeeping, 8 hours a day for work, and 8 hours a day for sleep, you've got 4 hours to blow on whatever you want. If you have that time and you function normally, why can't you spend that time playing games?
David Chambers

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 am

Oh, wow.

Just....wow.
:lol:

Oh, crap, the crystal in my palm is flashing. :ohmy:
leni

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't want children. I take care of my ailing grandparents, help take care of my household, volunteer with the homeless shelters, coupon and shop for families in need, and help out at my church.

You're telling me that I have to find more crap to fill the 6 hours I work to find for "me time" and spend it on other people again? Screw that. Everyone needs a day here and there to recharge - especially if they spend most other days taking care of other people.

My life is quite "full" and is grounded in "the real world". But I sure as heck find time to tell people to leave me be and let me do what helps me destress. I don't see how playing videogames is any different then if I played piano (which I do), painted, or gardened (which I do).

Honestly, that post makes it sound like you are too busy to enjoy your life and think everyone else should be too.
Baby K(:

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Oh, wow.

Just....wow.
Stop posting on forums you peasent. Only us rich folk can spend time like this, after the procreation ofc.
Javaun Thompson

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

So which is it, then? Do we mindlessly follow the arbitrary guidelines or should we think for ourselves and try to make intelligent decisions based on our situations? I'm so confused! :tongue:

Guidelines are made to provide a guiding line toward making personal intelligent decisions. Many may think that 3 hrs of gaming per day is okay. That is why the guideline is there. To bring awareness to what you think may be okay has in fact been studied and shown to be detrimental. Without guidelines, we would all be quickly floating towards our own biased decisions, which may not be best for us.
stevie critchley

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 2:00 am

Seems I am beyond help. Oh well.
Mark

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I feel like I should bring attention to a few videos that Extra Credits did on the subject, and how "addiction" isn't really the correct term.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-addiction-pt.1

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-addiction-pt.2

This says most of what I was going to raise.

/thread
He got the

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Guidelines are made to provide a guiding line toward making personal intelligent decisions. Many may think that 3 hrs of gaming per day is okay. That is why the guideline is there. To bring awareness to what you think may be okay has in fact been studied and shown to be detrimental. Without guidelines, we would all be quickly floating towards our own biased decisions, which may not be best for us.
Ok, so, the first one, then? :confused: Should I think for myself or not?
Matthew Warren

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Here is the thing, you could argue anything that isnt focused on "aqquire more money" is detrimental.
You will live your life, trying to make it what you think is the best. I on the other hand, will live my life, trying to enjoy myself. I could get a job in an office or something, it would pay better than other careers I consider. Only it bores me, so I refuse to have such a job.

There is a balence.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Stop posting on forums you peasent. Only us rich folk can spend time like this, after the procreation ofc.

Dammit, suppose I better go find a bunch of jobs to buy me a slightly bigger trailer...I mean, I'm happy with the one I live in now, but god forbid I actually be satisfied with my life. Better get to working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week!
m Gardner

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:30 pm

I'd like to bring to your awareness the few hours you've wasted on this forum, now that you know you can more intelligently spend your time in a more productive manner.
Mason Nevitt

Post » Mon May 14, 2012 1:57 am

I'd like to bring to your awareness the few hours you've wasted on this forum, now that you know you can more intelligently spend your time in a more productive manner.

This.
^~LIL B0NE5~^

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Maybe the OP has already earned his/her right to procreate. :shrug: Wait, when do we get to procreate again? If I'm playing video games can someone come get me? I don't want to miss it.
Ice Fire

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Dammit, suppose I better go find a bunch of jobs to buy me a slightly bigger trailer...I mean, I'm happy with the one I live in now, but god forbid I actually be satisfied with my life. Better get to working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week!
12 hours ? No that wont do. You can function with less sleep than that. In order to save time eating, thus give more time for work. I suggest you have one of those nutrient paste, tubes inserted into your stomach.
John N

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:40 pm

While no extreme is good, I find their definition almost as exaggerated. However, it justifies pushing more pills upon people for acting like.. people, so I'm not surprised at all.

In my younger years I was quite the gaming addict. When it drastically affects your life, especially when ignoring important things that shouldn't be, like school work, or being late to a job, or being part of a completely sedentary lifestyle, then it's an addiction.
lucy chadwick

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:47 am

Maybe the OP has already earned his/her right to procreate. :shrug: Wait, when do we get to procreate again?
You have to be rich first, with a totally secure future. To think, we've been doing it wrong all these hundreds of years...
Damien Mulvenna

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games