Anyone else think the Legion is ridiculous?

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 am

Caesar doesn't hate technology just painkillers and chems because he doesn't want his troops to start to rely on them and the same with Houses securitrons he can't reproduce them so he sees that relying on them would weaken them in the long run because tech can fail when you need it the most and they might start questioning why they can't have the robots fight for them forever.
An Lor

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:01 am

Caesar firmly believes that reliance on technology weakens humans and has brought the nuclear war upon humanity in the first place.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar%27s_Legion

Which I thought was a bit inconsistent because the original Roman empire laid out the foundation for science today especially in the field of weapons, battle tactics, architecture, sanitation, farming, etc. Furthermore why speak Latin in a post apocalyptic world? People would surely have some other stuff on their mind than to speak Latin, one of the oldest languages in the world.

Although resurrecting the Roman concept in a modern form is nothing new, historical figures like Hitler and Mussolini loved it too.

In the beginning I found the whole Ceasar Idea a bit unfitting. But I definitely like the concept when I progressed further in the game.
R.I.P

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Eh, this is Fallout. Sometimes the bad guys are just crazy. You shouldn't always put too much thought into how or why things work. Just that they do.

Besides, Caesar gets results, and in a desolate wasteland world, order and unity would be attractive to those who live in fear.

So would putting a .308 round right into KAI-sar's head the instant he was in the open. That dink couldn't stay inside of that tent forever and a 1st recon unit HAD to be watching the fort at all times. I also feel this way about certain real world dictator's and no one has picked them off yet so I am probably wrong.
Amber Hubbard

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:25 pm

It's always nice to see Sawyer pop in on one of these threads, but it's a shame he felt to need to comment in this one. Everything he summarized for us is in the game -- granted, the information varies due to your faction alliances (not until my 4th playthrough did I have a decent conversation with Caesar), but it's there.
This thread is based on a shallow misunderstanding of a pretty interesting, well-reasoned concept. That's not a dig at the OP -- like I said, it took me a while to see the whole picture. It helps if you realize Caesar is not emulating history -- he's using it.

This is a good illustration of the irritating tendency of game fans to criticize based on their enjoyment of a game or game element. You may not like it, but that does not mean it is flawed, afflicted with 'lazy' writing or that it is an error. It means you didn't like it. Period.

It's one thing to say, 'I did not like Caesar's Legion'. That's fine. It's expressing an opinion. It's quite another thing to say, 'Caesar's Legion SUX'. It's terribly elitist to presume that the hours you spent playing a game is in any way commensurate to the months or years that the creators spent making it.

I have something of a personal stake in this. Many years ago I was involved in writing and illustrating a book for the Hero System called 'Horror Hero'. The internet reviews were not very good, because we went to great pains to emphasize the fun of fighting monsters rather than settle for producing a clone of Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness. We indulged in some EC comics gags, made bat-sh*t crazy, larger than life NPCs, wrote some sections in lurid cod-pulp style, kept in mind that we were writing for people who usually played superheroes, etc. Professional reviews were generally positive, because people who were in the industry understood what we were trying to do. It's the same thing here. You guys who are quick to criticize have no idea of the thought and effort that goes into projects like this.

It's like that little sub-thread about the flaws of F3. Bethesda deliberately echoed elements of the previous games because they knew that the majority of the people who would play it had no previous exposure to Fallout. This wasn't ripping off, it wasn't a lack of imagination and it wasn't 'lazy' writing.

Sorry about the self-indulgent rant. I'm aware that without baseless complaining the glorious internet would evaporate. But for pity's sake try to have some perspective, people, and think about things instead of indulging your emotional responses.

You are kidding, right?
There is no rule that says something is got to be good just because you spent 100s of hours creating it.
Saying "I don't like it" or saying "it sux", they both ARE opinions, just expressed in different manner, you just need to consider the scope of your audience.They both indicate a dislike.
Speaking of "elitists", how do you classify your statement here?
"This is a good illustration of the irritating tendency of game fans to criticize based on their enjoyment of a game or game element. You may not like it, but that does not mean it is flawed, afflicted with 'lazy' writing or that it is an error. It means you didn't like it. Period."
Really? So explain then, on what a gamer is supposed to base his/her opinion of a game? Call me crazy, but I thought most people who buy games, buy them with the intent to enjoy the gameplay. If they don't enjoy the gameplay, everything else is not going to matter much.

Don't worry. The glorious internet is not going to evaporate without the baseless complaining, it'll keep itself afloat with all the self-indulgent rants.
J.P loves

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:15 pm

However, I don't recall _anyone_ at the Bitter Springs refugee camp identifying themselves as runaway slaves. In fact, I don't recall _anyone_ in the game identifying themselves as runaway slaves. The closest that I recall is the trio of slaves-in-the-making at Cottonwood Cove -- and pointedly, they hadn't been integrated into the slave population as yet.

I can't recall his name, but isnt the gay prosttute in Westside an escaped Legion six slave? :unsure2:
Chloe Botham

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:01 am

History is filled with virtually suicidal and viciously ruthless guerrilla armies that last only as long as their leader. It's the archetypal Cult Of Personality taken to its sickest extreme.
(Example: The LRA in Uganda, particularly brutal as it forced children into combat for it)
It is true enough to say that such groups are ultimately doomed to fail, but before that they can do tremendous damage. It doesn't make them ridiculous whatever else they are.
AnDres MeZa

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:00 pm

I can't recall his name, but isnt the gay prosttute in Westside an escaped Legion six slave? :unsure2:

Are you talking about Santiago? (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Santiago) I don't recall him as describing himself as a former slave. Maybe "runaway six slave" is one of his prosttute shticks?
Cesar Gomez

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Are you talking about Santiago? (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Santiago) I don't recall him as describing himself as a former slave. Maybe "runaway six slave" is one of his prosttute shticks?

No, Santiago is in Freeside. The guy I'm talking about is in Westside where Meansonofa[censored] is. He's in that brothel owned by the woman roasted and [censored] by cook cook.
Trista Jim

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:24 pm

History is filled with virtually suicidal and viciously ruthless guerrilla armies that last only as long as their leader. It's the archetypal Cult Of Personality taken to its sickest extreme.

History is also filled with small groups of people who have gone on to infamy (or fame) by dramatically changing the societies they live in. Lenin/Stalin, Hitler/Goebbels, Franklin/Jefferson just to name a few. Some of these changes were for good, some were bad. Some started out good and turned bad. Even today, we have this going on.
Charles Weber

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:36 am

Wastelanders tend to be pretty hearty and armed folk used to fighting off the likes of raiders, radscropions, crazed robots and feral ghouls. I know that no matter how dangerous and well armed my character gets, no matter what kind of reputation he builds, most of them don't hesitate to attack him and his companions if he's on the wrong side of their faction. He's a whole lot scarier than any mere squad of Caesar's goons, too. I'm having a hard time buying the notion that these people would be easy to enslave without the heaviest of security, or at least an exploding neck collar. Those always work. Even those pathetic powder gangers staged a rebellion against their NCR keepers.

Of course, I may be wrong. I've also watched as tied prisoners got up and ran when a Legion camp was attacked by a radscorpion only to return when the beast was killed (having successfully escaped) to apparently kneel down and tie themselves back up.

I have no problem with the Legion from a concept standpoint. My gripe with them is purely aesthetic. They look silly, so I shoot them in the face and long for a worthy power armor clad opponent unloading gatling lasers at me.
jodie

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:15 pm

Personnaly I found legion being completely ridiculous. One thing was that NCR were scared of them. Even though they might have had less men *in real world* any rifle would simply kill a person from few shots in jalf-plastic football equipment. And because legion didnt use guns would make them an easy target. I found them 100 times worse when Fallout 3 plot. Which i liked.
The only reason i joined them on my first playthrough i wanted to test an evil character.
x a million...

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 am

Personnaly I found legion being completely ridiculous. One thing was that NCR were scared of them. Even though they might have had less men *in real world* any rifle would simply kill a person from few shots in jalf-plastic football equipment. And because legion didnt use guns would make them an easy target. I found them 100 times worse when Fallout 3 plot. Which i liked.
The only reason i joined them on my first playthrough i wanted to test an evil character.

You're over simplifying it. They werent afraid 'because'. They were afraid because the Legion are trained to be berserkers. And a soldier that you shoot at, trained to fight through the pain, thats one hell of a scary thing to fight.

Also, the Legion DO use guns. But they are trained to fight ruthlessly with unarmed and melee skills because if their gun jams in the field, they can carry on as opposed to sitting idly.
Jordan Moreno

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:25 am

I know Obsidain really failed making their basic armor. The Centurion armor is good but i think that the main armor should have been like some sort of retuextured combat armor.
natalie mccormick

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:04 pm

I can t myself find the Legion ridiculous, they only have few encampment in the Mojave, meanwhile the NCR have a lots on them, even one in the forest but they can simply do the final blow, there must be reason of why the NCR do not attack
Glu Glu

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 am

I can t myself find the Legion ridiculous, they only have few encampment in the Mojave, meanwhile the NCR have a lots on them, even one in the forest but they can simply do the final blow, there must be reason of why the NCR do not attack

I guess that can be explained by General Oliver being known as 'General Wait-And-See'.
Nikki Lawrence

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:18 pm

You're over simplifying it. They werent afraid 'because'. They were afraid because the Legion are trained to be berserkers. And a soldier that you shoot at, trained to fight through the pain, thats one hell of a scary thing to fight.

Also, the Legion DO use guns. But they are trained to fight ruthlessly with unarmed and melee skills because if their gun jams in the field, they can carry on as opposed to sitting idly.

Yeah Maybe. But take 10 heavy troops of NCR tell them to crouch and sent 40 veteran legionaires on them. Their legs will be crippled in no time and they wont really do high damage. Only centurions are powerful enough to do any damage and there should be minority of them while if you go against legion there will be like 20-40 of them with good guns. To make the last battle harder. Strangely Caeser doesnt use Roman Strategies which were one of key successes of Roman Republic/Empire. NCR of the other hand could have destroyed half of Fortification Hill with one blow. Why wouldn't they do so?

Legion could have followed their "code" and still have high-tech weapons and better armor which would have closed their legs. I also found 86 tribes being a bit far fetched. I wouldn't think that most of Arizona became tribes after the war.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Yeah Maybe. But take 10 heavy troops of NCR tell them to crouch and sent 40 veteran legionaires on them. Their legs will be crippled in no time and they wont really do high damage. Only centurions are powerful enough to do any damage and there should be minority of them while if you go against legion there will be like 20-40 of them with good guns. To make the last battle harder. Strangely Caeser doesnt use Roman Strategies which were one of key successes of Roman Republic/Empire. NCR of the other hand could have destroyed half of Fortification Hill with one blow. Why wouldn't they do so?

Legion could have followed their "code" and still have high-tech weapons and better armor which would have closed their legs. I also found 86 tribes being a bit far fetched. I wouldn't think that most of Arizona became tribes after the war.

They have AM-rifles and marksman carbines during the assault on the damn. The elite guards have ballistic fists.

Spoiler
The final part of the Silver Rush quest has you do an energy weapons trade with them, except the Legion gets double crossed and massacred.

All in all they do have some high tech weaponry. They probably just don't have that much. So they keep it for when and where it counts.
Remember the NCR and the Mojave has the Gun Runners (and Van Graffs) to turn to.

Van Buren made them seem more like slavers, though, not just conquerers. They seemed more like a society built on a more raider like base.
Then again they were from farther East and didn't have a huge presence there where the game was supposed to be set.

All in all they came off a bit ridiculous in the way they were portrayed in New Vegas.
Harinder Ghag

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:46 pm

I know Obsidain really failed making their basic armor. The Centurion armor is good but i think that the main armor should have been like some sort of retuextured combat armor.

And were exactly would they get that combat armor? I suppose it would rain down the sky since BASIC MANUFACTURING FACILITIES WERE DESTROYED 200 YEARS AGO IN A NUCLEAR WAR!
Why the HELL would they use combat armor? even NCR troops use a very BASIC type of combat armor and Raiders use some kind of patchwork armor.

A lot of those comments here just show the absolute lack of applying game world logic, Caesar's Legion technology is based on what they CAN produce and since they have NO infrastructure to speak off of course its going to be basic ... hell, do we see energy weapons being used by the NCR? No because they CANNOT manufacture them in significant quantities to keep steady supplies.

The Brotherhood of Steel loses against the NCR because of that, their reliance on advanced pre-War technology is a liability because of attrition, its not a problem for the NCR or the Legion that is not dependent on pre-War tech but on their own production capabilities, the NCR simply have a edge due to their investment on Infrastructure as the Legion lacks it.
jasminε

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:27 pm

In a world where there is 200 year old salisbury steak and pork and beans still waiting to be eaten in every other broken refrigerator, lights working in most every building in spite of all the power lines hanging limply and broken from their poles, and running water in every broken sink (but not bathtubs! they're all broken) in the wastes, I'm not going to quibble about where a faction gets it's combat armor (or Roman centurion costumes).
jodie

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:57 am

And were exactly would they get that combat armor? I suppose it would rain down the sky since BASIC MANUFACTURING FACILITIES WERE DESTROYED 200 YEARS AGO IN A NUCLEAR WAR!
Why the HELL would they use combat armor? even NCR troops use a very BASIC type of combat armor and Raiders use some kind of patchwork armor.

A lot of those comments here just show the absolute lack of applying game world logic, Caesar's Legion technology is based on what they CAN produce and since they have NO infrastructure to speak off of course its going to be basic ... hell, do we see energy weapons being used by the NCR? No because they CANNOT manufacture them in significant quantities to keep steady supplies.

The Brotherhood of Steel loses against the NCR because of that, their reliance on advanced pre-War technology is a liability because of attrition, its not a problem for the NCR or the Legion that is not dependent on pre-War tech but on their own production capabilities, the NCR simply have a edge due to their investment on Infrastructure as the Legion lacks it.

Fiends use one of most powerful energy weapons in the game.
Where does everyone take weapons and armor in post-apocalyptic world? Caeser can find in Arizona good amount of combat armor to equp with veterans. He can paint red bulls and good armor is made.And he can equip them with simple shot guns or any other type of fire power.

Brotherhood loses against NCR becuase of its numbers not dependant on energy weapons. It actually gives them an edge.
Juan Suarez

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:11 am

In a world where there is 200 year old salisbury steak and pork and beans still waiting to be eaten in every other broken refrigerator,

Well you can blame Bethesda for that, FO1-2 did not had any consumable pre-war food (there were a few items but non-consumable).
And even FO:NV makes a joke about who would eat 200 year old food.

lights working in most every building in spite of all the power lines hanging limply and broken from their poles,

Pay a closer attention in NV, you have jury rigged generators being used and some installations would have backup power generators.
I do say this, you are right if we discount land lines but NV did attempted to show WERE the power was coming from as FO3 did not.

and running water in every broken sink (but not bathtubs! they're all broken) in the wastes,

And yet another Fallout 3 issue, New Vegas show things as the NCR had build a water pipe to supply certain areas, the only place with extensive utilities is New Vegas as the others are small local towns were its inhabitants could very well maintain their utilities as they are self-sustaining and not connected to a main grid were repair would be difficult if not downright impossible.

I'm not going to quibble about where a faction gets it's combat armor (or Roman centurion costumes).

Things do not exist in a void, the Legion having a endless supply of Combat Armor would make no sense, in fact it would be ridiculous when we discount "video game logic" (that is none).
The fact you list what are illogical aspects of the game and then say "its ok to have ANOTHER illogical one because we have them" is not much of a argument, you shown no reason to WHY should the Legion go around in Combat Armor besides "we have a lot of things that do not make sense so lets add another".

Also as I had to bring up Fallout 3 I also going to point out the only ones that used Combat Armor in Fallout 3 were the Talon Company, Reilly's Rangers, Rivet City Security and Tenpenny Security showing its not commonly available enough to be used as basic armor.

Edit:
Fiends use one of most powerful energy weapons in the game.

Yes, they can use energy weapons but look were they are housed.

Where does everyone take weapons and armor in post-apocalyptic world?

Some are now manufactured.
Heard of the Gun Runners? also the BoS have limited manufacturing abilities.

Caeser can find in Arizona good amount of combat armor to equp with veterans. He can paint red bulls and good armor is made.And he can equip them with simple shot guns or any other type of fire power.

Let me see Legion Centurion armor entry ...

* The Helmet is that of a super mutant brute's, polished and with an added centurion's frill
* The right pauldron and the right forearm are pieces of T-45d Power Armor. Coincidentally, the NCR salvaged T-45d power armor are missing their shoulder parts.
* The left forearm and gloves is a piece of the Leather armor.
* The chest piece appears to come from the same source as that on a Super Mutant armor.
* The part of both legs is a piece of the Raider blastmaster armor.
* The piece worn at the hips is from the NCR Ranger patrol armor.
* The boots appear to have been taken from Combat Armor.

Their DT is 18, Ranger Patrol Armor is 15 (Ranger armor does have more HP, 500 vs 450 and weights less)
So ... why would Caesar order the issuing of Combat Armor that have the DT of 15, HP of 400 and weight of 25? the only aspect were its superior is it weight less.

Oh and armor HE CANNOT REPLACE!
Also before you bring up that is Legion Veteran Armor I should be talking about, I point out Combat Armor is Medium Armor, the Legion have the best Light Armor in the game with only the Vault 34 security armor standing out (as its the best Light Armor if we discount the Gladiator Armor that we have to since its quest related), the NCR Armor is all Medium (with the exception of the Salvaged Power Armor) and if you look at the NCR Bandoleer Armor that is their basic armor its worst that Combat Armor and yet its NOT their basic armor.

If you want to argue about the Legion using Combat Armor I can make THE EXACT SAME ARGUMENT about the NCR since both apply and the also the reasons to why they DONT use it.

Brotherhood loses against NCR becuase of its numbers not dependant on energy weapons. It actually gives them an edge.

I said attrition, the Brotherhood cannot withstand long conflicts because they can neither replace their personal or their equipment as their enemies (in this case, the NCR) can, even if personal losses were unsuitable the fact is eventually all their fancy equipment will break beyond repair.
scorpion972

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:02 am

Imagine shooting at someone that won't stop coming at you, that's scary [censored] to think that you are point blank shooting these guys and they are still running towards you, that's what's happening, that's why they are afraid.

The scariest person is someone who is not afraid of death and has nothing to lose.
Matthew Barrows

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:04 am

No, Santiago is in Freeside. The guy I'm talking about is in Westside where Meansonofa[censored] is. He's in that brothel owned by the woman roasted and [censored] by cook cook.

Ahh! That would be Jimmy. (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_%28Fallout:_New_Vegas%29) I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing him out.
Marcin Tomkow

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Well you can blame Bethesda for that, FO1-2 did not had any consumable pre-war food (there were a few items but non-consumable).
And even FO:NV makes a joke about who would eat 200 year old food.

Pay a closer attention in NV, you have jury rigged generators being used and some installations would have backup power generators.
I do say this, you are right if we discount land lines but NV did attempted to show WERE the power was coming from as FO3 did not.

And yet another Fallout 3 issue, New Vegas show things as the NCR had build a water pipe to supply certain areas, the only place with extensive utilities is New Vegas as the others are small local towns were its inhabitants could very well maintain their utilities as they are self-sustaining and not connected to a main grid were repair would be difficult if not downright impossible.

Things do not exist in a void, the Legion having a endless supply of Combat Armor would make no sense, in fact it would be ridiculous when we discount "video game logic" (that is none).
The fact you list what are illogical aspects of the game and then say "its ok to have ANOTHER illogical one because we have them" is not much of a argument, you shown no reason to WHY should the Legion go around in Combat Armor besides "we have a lot of things that do not make sense so lets add another".

Also as I had to bring up Fallout 3 I also going to point out the only ones that used Combat Armor in Fallout 3 were the Talon Company, Reilly's Rangers, Rivet City Security and Tenpenny Security showing its not commonly available enough to be used as basic armor.

Fallout 3 shows where the electricity is coming from. Well atleast i have seen small installations and generators.

Capital Wasteland was a place where military would have been stationed and there were a lot of Forts. Obviously in last 200 years they were looted, stolen from police deaprtments and so on. And Tempenny Tower or whatever it had been before the war had security which used combat armor. Not that hard to figure out. Rivet City Security is the same, it was a military aircraft. Reily Rangers might have got them from any source because there are few. And last Talon company HG is based in Fort, a military installations.

And about pipes, because it is mostly irradiated in fallout 3 is probably comes from pre-war water supplies.
Eileen Müller

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Going back to the original Wasteland (from whence Fallout was derived), there were numerous Armories left intact. And given the bunker-like construction, inside those was considerably more radiation-free than outside. I agree that "modern" combat armor would NOT integrate modern combat armor -- not nearly enough to go around -- but I can easily see higher-ranking officers using some (after gluing on a number of Romanesque pieces so Caesar could deliberately "overlook" the infraction of "being out of uniform"). [After all, it IS to Caesar's advantage if his higher-ranking officers can survive better.]

"Human-wave attacks" is nothing new, and perhaps surprisingly, veterans adjust to being attacked in such a manner. Zulus at Islandwana. Japanese Banzai attacks all over the Pacific. Chinese troops during the Korean war. I actually knew a Korean War vet that once told me, "we actually liked that they threw themselves at us. It made it easier to kill them faster and get the damn battle over with quicker. Didn't even have to work at getting a clear shot, like you would if they took advantage of cover. Yeah, it could get unnerving, but once the shooting started, you just got into a rhythm, picking off targets. I remember humming to myself, 'One little, two little, three little Chinamen...'."
LuCY sCoTT

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas