Best way to play morrowind?

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Ok,i've been playing morrowind again for the first time in ages. I've played around with different types/classes etc. But i was wondering ,whats the best way to play quest wise?
Is it better to do all of the main quest,before doing factions and other quests?
Is it better to go so far with the main quest,or so far with factions then swap?

I would like to know what other people do regarding this. Some quests have conflicts i believe,and all NPC's whether essential or not can be killed. Which in turn has me checking everything before i explore etc,which can be frustrating at times.I want to explore without checking every 5 minutes etc. So what do others do,as regards how far they go into the main quest before doing others etc,or the other way around?

I hope what i'm asking makes sense,i just want a bit more freedom,without checking every 5 minutes and risking breaking the game/main quest. Any advice on what people do regarding this would be greatly appreciated,or how best they play the game,without being class specific,just in general.

Thanks in advance :)
Veronica Flores

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm doing it now and just doing all the side quests before the main quest. I think if you were to kill someone essential to the main quest the game would flag you on that...or the person would be unkillable until their purpose in the main quest was done with.
Adam Baumgartner

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:45 pm

The best way is, of course, what you think is the best. The game (Caius) recommends you should leave the beaten path every now and then to see what's behind the next hill, or something like that. He also recommends you to get some cover jobs. Basically, he means: have many quests going on at once; it's not wrong to start, say, Fighters Guild, House Redoran, Temple and main quest at the same time. If a quest is too hard, come back to it after doing some easier other factions' quests first. Or after looting some caves. Or some buying/selling. Or headless running around. Or studying lore. Or ANYTHING you ever want to do! The best thing you can have to track what you're doing simultaneously is the quest log, which is added to your journal by Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions (I don't remember which technically, but if you have the Game of the Year edition, make sure you have the expansions installed).

So the game tells you to keep many quests going at the same time, and sometimes stop doing quests for some other exploring/talking to NPCs/whatever. Keep on switching. I agree with the game. This plenty of things to do at the same time idea keeps my interest in the game. Or, sometimes, if it's hard to interrupt a cool questline, don't! Just try things out. Eventually you will know what's the best order for you - if there is any. Might depend much on the character, though.
Pete Schmitzer

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:49 pm

The best way is, of course, what you think is the best. The game (Caius) recommends you should leave the beaten path every now and then to see what's behind the next hill, or something like that. He also recommends you to get some cover jobs. Basically, he means: have many quests going on at once; it's not wrong to start, say, Fighters Guild, House Redoran, Temple and main quest at the same time. If a quest is too hard, come back to it after doing some easier other factions' quests first. Or after looting some caves. Or some buying/selling. Or headless running around. Or studying lore. Or ANYTHING you ever want to do! The best thing you can have to track what you're doing simultaneously is the quest log, which is added to your journal by Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions (I don't remember which technically, but if you have the Game of the Year edition, make sure you have the expansions installed).

So the game tells you to keep many quests going at the same time, and sometimes stop doing quests for some other exploring/talking to NPCs/whatever. Keep on switching. I agree with the game. This plenty of things to do at the same time idea keeps my interest in the game. Or, sometimes, if it's hard to interrupt a cool questline, don't! Just try things out. Eventually you will know what's the best order for you - if there is any. Might depend much on the character, though.

Thanks for the reply/advice,it's appreciated. I have the game of the year version,but i'm playing it on my 360. Like i said,it's been along time since i've played it properly,i remember bits and bats,but i'm sure it will all come flooding back. But given what you've said,and as long as i save often, i don't think i'll have too much trouble.

Once again thankyou :)
Penny Wills

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:22 pm

if you feel like joining the Morag Tong, don't join a house before finishing all the writs because you will have to kill house members.

if you want to join both the fighter's and thieve's guild, join the fighters first. join the thieves when told to get the code book. join before leaving the building.

i like to become head of the mage's guild because of the Necromancer's Amulet. and i like to become head of a house before getting too involved with the main quest.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind gives all the quests and important details.
Siidney

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 am

One thing I'd like to stress is becoming master of a house before you need to be named Hortator by them.
Marcin Tomkow

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:11 pm

if you feel like joining the Morag Tong, don't join a house before finishing all the writs because you will have to kill house members.

I've never run into a problem with killing house brothers for the Morag Tong.
loste juliana

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:33 pm

I've only ever done the MQ once...with a companion mod that added a lot of content to said MQ (Julan). I prefer to roleplay, so it's not all about quests for me, at all.
Yung Prince

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:59 am

I'm doing it now and just doing all the side quests before the main quest. I think if you were to kill someone essential to the main quest the game would flag you on that...or the person would be unkillable until their purpose in the main quest was done with.

Usually it tells you.
No-one is unkillable.

The game doesnt tell you, but if you kill any of the ashlanders in the main four ashlander settlements, you have broken the main quest.
Elea Rossi

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:14 am

multiple times in many different ways. Just a choose a style of play or rp that you haven't done before that sounds interesting to you.
Janine Rose

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 pm

More often than not, I'll progress up the corprus cure in the MQ, if only to have disease immunity for the rest of my adventuring.
Sarah Evason

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:01 am

[edit - ignore post] dang-nabbit, confounded COM-pue-TOR not doin what I wownts....
Danii Brown

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:40 am

More often than not, I'll progress up the corprus cure in the MQ, if only to have disease immunity for the rest of my adventuring.

Yeah,i've thought about maybe doing this too. I may give it a try later. :)
Thanks to all for the replies,it's appreciated :thumbsup:
Adam Baumgartner

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Can misc skills be as effective as major or minors at the same level. i.e. If hand-to-hand was 50 as a misc skill,would it work the same/hit the same as hand-to-hand 50 in major or minor?
I know misc skills don't contribute to leveling.

I'm doing a monk class,but i'm wondering whether to have some skills in misc,then train them up. This is why i ask.
Also,i'd be interested to know other peoples monk skills or setup,if you have done so. :)
Darian Ennels

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Can misc skills be as effective as major or minors at the same level. i.e. If hand-to-hand was 50 as a misc skill,would it work the same/hit the same as hand-to-hand 50 in major or minor?
I know misc skills don't contribute to leveling.

I'm doing a monk class,but i'm wondering whether to have some skills in misc,then train them up. This is why i ask.
Also,i'd be interested to know other peoples monk skills or setup,if you have done so. :)

Yes.
Effectiveness wise there is no difference between 100 short blade as a major, or as a misc skill.

I usually find it best to have at least one skill of every atrribute in my major and minor skills.
Veronica Flores

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:31 pm

No difference in damage but keep in mind that a major skill will level up through use almost twice as fast as a misc skill. Of course, if you're going to use trainers, that doesn't matter. H2H is a good skill to have as a major because it levels quickly and you can get to 100 skill easily without trainers.
TASTY TRACY

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:44 am

Thankyou for the replies,it's appreciated :)
Lance Vannortwick

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:35 pm

I was actually going to start a topic similar to this, and I apologize if this seems like a 'thread-jacking' :tongue:

I haven't played Morrowind in YEARS and decided to get the GOTY edition off Steam- the thing is, I never played the expansions! I know about them and have read some of the storyline stuff online, but my question is, when is a good time experience-wise to explore Bloodmoon and Tribunal? Is there a target level range before exploring or can I just jump in at level 4? I've already killed the assassins and have the quest, but having never done the quests there, I don't want to spend hours exploring an area that's out of my range level wise right now.

Thanks for any suggestions, it's truly appreciated.
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:48 am

I haven't played Morrowind in YEARS and decided to get the GOTY edition off Steam- the thing is, I never played the expansions! I know about them and have read some of the storyline stuff online, but my question is, when is a good time experience-wise to explore Bloodmoon and Tribunal? Is there a target level range before exploring or can I just jump in at level 4? I've already killed the assassins and have the quest, but having never done the quests there, I don't want to spend hours exploring an area that's out of my range level wise right now.

Not sure if there's a recommended minimum level. I did most all the "guilds" on the main island before doing any expansions, and by then I was leveled up enough to have no problem with either expansion.
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I was actually going to start a topic similar to this, and I apologize if this seems like a 'thread-jacking' :tongue:

Wait until you're level 20 or something, and it can still be hard, depending on your character. I don't even know which one is easier. They say do Tribunal first, but I don't know... I think it's much easier in Solstheim's wilderness than in the sewers of Mournhold. When you're 20 or something, how about start both, gain experience, keep switching? Towards the end they can both be effing hard.
Trish

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:12 am

Your question is not thread jacking. Your asking a question for help/advice,nothing wrong with it :)

I hope you enjoy your expansions :thumbsup:
Emily Graham

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks for the responses, you've been a great help! :)
Robyn Howlett

Return to III - Morrowind