Build variety

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Hey Forum, i have encoutered a problem that kind of kills the game for me so before i leave it in a corner ill ask you guys for help. I have done my first Playthrough recently using guns since i dont like energy Weapons. I did help out the NCR and wanted to do a completly different character for my second playthrough.

So i came up with the idea to join the Legion and play a character that fits the average Legion Soldier. The plan was to use the melee skill with something like a machete and a good amount of throwing spears. Using the machete only when enemies can close the distance if they want because many will just use guns anyways.

Now here is the problem. It seems like a throwing spear that is probably one of the more simple weapons in the wasteland is almost nowhere to be found if you consider the legion your friends. Merchants only sell small amounts of them ( 3-5) at a time making it incredible hard to stack up. I dont even want to start about throwing knives or hatchets.

Do i miss something ? Is there a throwing spear schematic to craft them ?

I was also thinking about just playing another build but i cant find a reason to use anything else besides rifles and energy weapns which i dont like. Explosives are maybe an option because there is plenty of dynamite around. Is it possible to reverse pickpocket explosives into someones inventory and make them go boom ? If yes is it a viable option with high sneak ?

What builds do you guys play ? Is there anything else then guns, energy weapons and explosives that justify usage ? What weapons are capable of clearing endgame content ?

Laura-Lee Gerwing

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:10 am

welcome to the forums! let me try to answer theres questions in the order you asked,

first of all, there is no throwing spear schematic anywhere. unless you feel like stealth killing your legion buddies, you'll probably not find too many of them.

its pretty viable to use explosives if you have the Gun Runners Arsenal and take the Mad bomber perk, and as for the reverse pickpocket live explosives, i dont know off the top of my head if you can pickpocket dynamite and let it explode, but i KNOW you can do that with frag grenades, assuming whatever you're pick pocketing has actual pockets. if you want to do that high sneak is pretty mandatory, because you cant pickpocket something once its seem you and is actively trying to kill you.

Every weapon type (Guns, melee, unarmed, explosives and energy weapons) is more than capable of clearing endgame content assuming you build your character to use them. even a pure melee build benefits from increasing unarmed just for the slayer perk.

personally i enjoy all of the weapons that New Vegas supplies, not much beats the thrill of chain sawing down a horde of whatever's dumb enough to get in my way, although with my newest character im focusing on energy weapons. Even on a very hard hardcoe playthrough damage output isnt a huge issue.

trisha punch

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:13 am

No. They are inexplicably rare.

The game has a large variety in a guns′ build.

Cowboy (my favorite)

Soldier

crazy heavy weapon.........

And you can also roleplay different kinds of characters. For example: A mobster would just use smg. A hunter would go with hunting shotgun and hunting rifle, a charming gambler uses only pistols, and so go on.

one of my favorite builds is the saboteur. High sneak, melee/explosives. Its is something like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e96HNzYk7xg

you have all the dlcs?

saxon

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:51 pm

First of all thanks for the link i was laughing a lot more about that then i should have :'D. Yeah i have all the dlc's it just gets kinda boring just sniping away everything before it even knows you are there. I look for something that forces me to get a bit closer but not totally melee. I play on the hardest difficulty setting so i was kind of concerned about damage in lategame cant imagine dealing with a deathclaw only using pistols :P

Is it possible to play something like a "supportish" character ? Making my companions do most of the damage or do they fall flat at a certain level ? If yes is there and mid-long range weapon that is especially good at crippling limbs ? Getting Rex and Veronica to go close and personal while i just sit back and try to turn fights in their favour?

Thanks for the help so far =)

Baylea Isaacs

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Sounds like a "shotgun build" may be more to your liking. No sniping here as the range is limited with a lot of bullet spread and there are some fine perks to make shotguns fun :)

And welcome to the boards! :)

Margarita Diaz

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:44 pm

Unarmed is insanely over powered, I'd say even more so than melee weapons (which is also viable). Both unarmed and melee both get special attacks in vats at level 50 and 75, to make them slight more interesting.
Unarmed also has a few unique attacking moves learned from people in the wasteland, like throwing sand in someone's face, a back spin kick that knocks people down (only in third person is it a spin kick, in first person it's a palm strike) and a charge attack that deals extra critical damage.
You can also stomp people's heads in vats with unarmed for some awesome kills when you stomp their head and it explodes into a bunch of chunks.
An unarmed and melee build would be viable for a support character too (which is viable if you get a high charisma to improve companions, as well as perks associated with having better companions).

Explosives is really good too, especially with perks, and if you get spray and pray so you do less damage to companions, you can use it in a support role as well.

Types of roleplays to give you some ideas would be things like mad scientist explosive nuts that are crazy chaotic types, with really good science, explosives, repair and medicine, with a crapload of intelligence. Four eyes trait for roleplay if you want.

Tribal barbarians that are trained from a warrior tribe who use either unarmed or melee, as well as survival (which can make insane healing items) and maybe sneak or repair. Traits like clausterphobia for roleplay purposes if you feel like or not.

Martial arts master, who's also good with math, could be Asian (if you wanted is all I'm saying haha), uses unarmed, science and repair or explosives.

Leader type charismatic who got by in life by charm and wit, but been in a few fist fights by being too much of a smart ass. Give him speech, barter and unarmed, and high charisma for companions.

An ex pit fighter raider turned courier, left the raiding to take the thought to be safer trade of delivering packages, until you were shot in the face.
Melee and/or unarmed, explosives and lockpicks.

Or whatever you want, these are just random ideas to give you a starting point.
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:23 am

There is something insidious in that I speak every build is possible in this game. I know this game like the back of my hand. I know where it is dangerous and where not. I know where the traps are. I know when an enemy will come out of nowhere and where it comes from. This sort of thing.

But yes, it′s possible. Unlike the others Fallouts, you do not have random encounters. In Fallout 2, walk the map is a birth, you walk two squares and met with nine, NINE Enclave soldiers. Walking two more and comes a deathclaws pack. Two forward and remnants of the Master′s army.

In Fallout 3 you may walk from megatom to tempenny tower and find a patch full of albino radscorpion and yao gais.

Anyway, this dont happening in NV, so if you plan right, it is possible to play this kind of character. Including a better use of perks.

For example: this perk here

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ferocious_Loyalty

Its very good (Lily and Rex turn into walking shields). So you want to go to Quarry Junk with less then 50% of health.

And charisma 10 is mandatory in this type of character.

2 of my chars are this way.

About explosives, it is quite fun this kind of build if you catch Mad Bomber. Because? Because makes the exploration significant.

You are not a true mad bomber if you dont walk around full of fat mines, satchel charge, nuka grenade, time bombs and my personal favorite: The MFC cluster. God, its SO good.

And you need the components to craft these little beauties, then go there and explore.

(keep in mind that nuka grenades are not necessary and if you want to make them on a large scale, must also take nuka chemist perk and have 90 in science and 30 in survival for the homebrews nuka colas)

Christie Mitchell

Return to Fallout: New Vegas