Character Diary

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for Fan Fiction or General Discussion, but since it's a Creative Writing exercise, I decided to go this route. Imagine your character as a real person. Obviously this will involve some SPOILERS, so let's just get it out of the way right now: CAUTION! MAY BE SPOILERS! Now that that's taken care of, to begin, give us their current stats according to what the game dictates.

For instance, my current game character:

Name: Grayson
Race: Caucasion
Tag skills: Sneak, Science, Unarmed
Favorite Weapon (Accdg. to in-game stats): Fists

Any other traits not specifically attributed in game must be brought through in the diary entries. This is wear you get to decide their ethics, religion, philosophy, politics, feelings, and quirks. But remember, since it's a game character, some things are musts: You are "Dad"s child, you're 19, you were raised in a Vault, etc.

Here's my entry:

The Pitt. It is impossible to describe to the uninitiated. There is a stench on the air, a miasma of burning steel and utter hopelessness that assails the senses and at once drains my resolve. Dirt clings to me and clogs my pores, slowly suffocating me within the confines of my armor. But the more I consider it, the more I fear it may be my own remorse that envelops me.

I had been raised to believe certain things were indelibly true... that there was a universal right and wrong. Even my stint in the Capital Wasteland has done little to avow me of this notion, harsh though it is. But now, here in this hell of molten ore and disease, I find that right and wrong are antiquated concepts of a distant, sunnier past. Had you asked me only days ago, I would have invariably answered that slavery is among those things that are universally wrong and any movement against a slaver is then, by definition, right. But that was before. Before Werhner. Before Ashtur. Before those abominations that every person here seems destined to become.

From the very beginning, I did not trust Werhner. Learning his history has made the man even less trustworthy to me. I do not think he cares one whit about the slaves, nor anything but his own grab for power. And poor Midea, being svcked into his treachery. I fear that woman would lay down her life for him, and upon hearing the news he would loot her corpse.

But then I think of Ashtur. Ashtur's euphemisms and avuncular disposition obscure some sinister need for control. It was barely a shock to learn that he and Werhner were once allies, and even less so that Werhner would betray him. The world Ashtur reigns is hellish, to be sure, and despite his talk of eventual freedom, I know in my heart of hearts that he is intent to hold onto his status until he is killed or deposed.

Is this what the universe has come to? The great cosmic force that crafts our destiny and shapes us all is not an epic struggle of good and evil. It is the struggle over which mad man we will hand our souls to. I am left with no good alternative; nothing but empty promises of eventual freedom and a possible cure for the disease that has maimed these people so. Do I give these people---these people who have suffered so thoroughly at the very hand of a God I for so long entrusted my life to---to the devil they know, or to the devil who knows them? I know their hearts, their wills... but I do not know that their hearts know what their desires will actually bring them.

Never has the world been so unclear to me. With my faith so shattered, I long only that I could see Dad again. To know what path he would have me take. To know that he approves of the one I am choosing. I could be certain then. The only thing I am certain of now is that tonight, Werhner will die by my hands.

May God have mercy on my soul.
Chris Johnston

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:20 am

While there isn't really anything wrong with your writing, the date is way off. According to this, it takes place around a month before the bombs dropped. Fallout 1is in 2161, while two and three take place some long period of time after that. Also, you generally shouldn't have a character sheet with a fanfic. You should instead describe your character in story.

FAKE EDIT: Wow, I just now realized you meant this as an interactive story... I really need some sleep.
Rob Davidson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:16 am

Is Grayson a powerful time-travelling wizard?
vanuza

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Blech, that was a careless typo. Sorry. It's 2277.

Man, you Fallout nerds are a harsh bunch. :P
Rachell Katherine

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:30 am

I no they did the same thing to me. Good work

the best partis definatley the second to last paragraph where it starts about cosmic balance and that sort of thing
Marie

Return to Fallout Series Discussion