Choppy fps when looking around

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 9:54 am

Im having very choppy fps, like screen tearing or just bad fps when im looking around, doesnt matter where i am, inside a dungeon or outside it's the same, im playing on ultra system specs i5-2500k cpu 3.3 oced to 4.3 Gigabyte 560 ti, 12 gig ram please help?
PS: all the drivers are up to date
Victoria Bartel

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:50 am

Erms, may be a few fixes on the forums, search LAA Patch.
Lew.p

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:16 pm

I just started getting the same thing today with my gtx 570 and i7 2600k. What the hell is going on?
Daniel Lozano

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Yea i had it running a smooth 60+ fps earlier, then now all of a sudden everything went to hell... not sure what is going on, i tried every possible fix i could find so far
Dylan Markese

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 am

How many saves you have running? I experienced some choppy when my saves collection started getting huge
cheryl wright

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 10:27 am

I'll throw this out there: I've observed that at least with the two newest beta drivers from Nvidia vs this game vs my GTX280s at some point randomly while playing and typically after some rather taxing action going on the driver will drop the cards down to light-performance mode clock rates and refuse to shift them back up to full performance short of rebooting to reset everything. Basically something was triggering my cards to drop to half performance and stay there, even if the profile says to prefer full performance and even if trying other games after the trigger. I think I've nipped it by setting the global profile to 'prefer max performance', at least it hasn't happened yet since then and its been several hours now.

Dunno whether to blame the game or nvidia's beta driver but kinda leaning on the driver since well its a beta and it should be able to recover from such a thing since its supposed to be in charge of that stuff.
Tamara Primo

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:28 pm

How many saves you have running? I experienced some choppy when my saves collection started getting huge
only have the 3 auto saves and 2 manual saves as of now, this is the 3rd re-installation i've done now because of the latest patch, but before on my first char, i had like 15 saves and it was running at 60 FPS no problem no matter what, but i had to re-install the game because of 1.2 patch that messed up the 4gig app that they had, so now im running like 20-30 fps when im looking around, but when i stand still my fps jumps up to 60 even when im looking at flowing water
M!KkI

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 pm

I've only recently @150hrs gameplay@ seen some weirdness with fps. Started last night, running along in woods and bwam a brief stutter, drop in fps by 30, then back up by 20 not full 60 for another 4-5seconds. I have begun looking @ my saves and will see if fixed. Tho last night only fix i got was a restart the game. Threw me for a loop, thought my brain had glitched when the game stuttered suddenly.
Alan Whiston

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:23 pm

I've only recently @150hrs gameplay@ seen some weirdness with fps. Started last night, running along in woods and bwam a brief stutter, drop in fps by 30, then back up by 20 not full 60 for another 4-5seconds. I have begun looking @ my saves and will see if fixed. Tho last night only fix i got was a restart the game. Threw me for a loop, thought my brain had glitched when the game stuttered suddenly.
yea my first play through i had everything running fine, shadows fine textures max, even some .ini tweaks, got to lvl 39 with completing the final quest, everything ran a smooth 60 fps, then at some points ran more so i had to use a limiter, after the 1.2 patch everything went to hell, only time i get good fps is when im not looking around...
yessenia hermosillo

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 am

Now im getting 1 fps, outside after installing some mods... my GTX 560 ti should tear through this game no matter how many mods i install... and my i5-2500k cpu shouldnt have any issues... i can run bf3 on ultra no prob... what is this nonsense...
Arrogant SId

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 12:19 pm

check your Device Manager in Control Panel ...likely, you have a boatload of unnecessary High Definition Audio Devices installed with your last GPU driver update. DISABLE (don't delete) everything but the device you use (soundcard? integrated sound on mobo? whatever)...as in, all those NVIDIA listings. Then run the game, and report back.
Emerald Dreams

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 6:54 am

Agree with check999. I have changed nothing, and now this. It's really about done me in. I'm not one to muck around with settings I don't understand, so I haven't changed anything. Vanilla game, high/ultra settings and now this. So frustrating. I've never felt like I wasted money on a game until now.
Lisa Robb

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 3:46 am

Now im getting 1 fps, outside after installing some mods... my GTX 560 ti should tear through this game no matter how many mods i install... and my i5-2500k cpu shouldnt have any issues... i can run bf3 on ultra no prob... what is this nonsense...
If those mods happened to be adding higher resolution textures or increasing the FXAA or things like that then no, you can't install as many of those as you like. Video cards each have a finite amount of memory and if you try to make the game use too much of it the engine will spend more time making decisions about what to keep vs swap out then it will drawing the game...and that turns into what you might call stuttering lag. Your card has the same as each of my cards and I'll tell you I run up against that vram limit constantly as I fiddle with the settings and things like 8xAA and 'HD' textures all eat large chunks of that.
Ron

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 am

check your Device Manager in Control Panel ...likely, you have a boatload of unnecessary High Definition Audio Devices installed with your last GPU driver update. DISABLE (don't delete) everything but the device you use (soundcard? integrated sound on mobo? whatever)...as in, all those NVIDIA listings. Then run the game, and report back.

This is something im wondering about, does it actually have any merit ? Has anyone been able to 100% confirm a noticeable FPS increase.
Charity Hughes

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 8:42 am

Zero difference for me. still getting 17 fps outside, when yesterday I was getting 60.
ImmaTakeYour

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 am

well i think i just fixed my own issues, i guess i changed my waterresolution to 4096 and forgot about, and now im back at 40 fps with all my mods still in tact, but there's still a choppy issues tho, inside the buildings or whatever it's the worst, but when i step outside everything nice and smooth, still not sure what's causing that
carly mcdonough

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 pm

This is something im wondering about, does it actually have any merit ? Has anyone been able to 100% confirm a noticeable FPS increase.

I've been doing this for years, with every driver update from both ATI and nVidia. These audio drivers compound with your existing audio device and attack CPU speed. I have high end rigs and push every game to see where the max is just before I see smoke coming from my tower, but I always know when I forget to disable these audio devices because each time I see: STUTTER. It is a tell-tale sign of CPU overload, not GPU (usually if your GPU is over-loaded, you'll see fps reduction...but 'stutters' don't actually reduce fps, although they are visually offensive). I'm not saying this is the problem of the OP, but for me and other video makers, who are FRAPsing everything and selling out grandmothers for 2 more fps, this has been a noticeable problem for a long time.
James Wilson

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 6:55 am

A common complaint about this game engine is it currently doesn't make full use of many people's system memory and CPU abilities, which means there's a lot of spare of both and anything not being used by the game is where such extraneous drivers and such would live. No I really don't think that'd be a concern or even a remote care really, unless it was a particularly poorly written driver that's chewing on interrupts more then it should but even then, I doubt it'd actually impact anything.
Adam Kriner

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 am

well i think i just fixed my own issues, i guess i changed my waterresolution to 4096 and forgot about, and now im back at 40 fps with all my mods still in tact, but there's still a choppy issues tho, inside the buildings or whatever it's the worst, but when i step outside everything nice and smooth, still not sure what's causing that
In another thread someone mentioned a tool called Nvidia Inspector, its a video card tool with a number of features including a realtime monitor that shows running graphs of what various components are up to. I suggest grabbing that and setting it up to watch all the various stats but the key ones to watch are the again the memory usage vs the MCU. You'll likely notice that as your laggy FPS occurs the MCU's workload graph shows more activity, this is your card swapping its memory around to meet your current view's needs as it can't keep everything in memory that your settings are asking it to. Ideally you want that MCU to be doing almost nothing except during drastic changes of scenery. Catching that 4096x4096 water is a good sign and yah that'll tax your vram heavily too, continue looking for things like that and aim to get the MCU doing as little as possible and you'll see further smoothness. Skyrim doesn't really like alt-tabbing in and out of it but you can still play with a few settings, run around for a bit and exit out to see what everything was up to. The other fantastic tool though is the LAA loader, at least with it in play skyrim can put more of itself into system ram which is much faster to access then reading it off your disk on the fly.

Great tools any ways and helped me find a nice balance of pretty vs performance.
leni

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 5:16 pm

In another thread someone mentioned a tool called Nvidia Inspector, its a video card tool with a number of features including a realtime monitor that shows running graphs of what various components are up to. I suggest grabbing that and setting it up to watch all the various stats but the key ones to watch are the again the memory usage vs the MCU. You'll likely notice that as your laggy FPS occurs the MCU's workload graph shows more activity, this is your card swapping its memory around to meet your current view's needs as it can't keep everything in memory that your settings are asking it to. Ideally you want that MCU to be doing almost nothing except during drastic changes of scenery. Catching that 4096x4096 water is a good sign and yah that'll tax your vram heavily too, continue looking for things like that and aim to get the MCU doing as little as possible and you'll see further smoothness. Skyrim doesn't really like alt-tabbing in and out of it but you can still play with a few settings, run around for a bit and exit out to see what everything was up to. The other fantastic tool though is the LAA loader, at least with it in play skyrim can put more of itself into system ram which is much faster to access then reading it off your disk on the fly.

Great tools any ways and helped me find a nice balance of pretty vs performance.
yea i've been using LAA loader, and the nvidia inspect, now my game is running 50-60 fps, but im still having an issue with like choppyness, only inside buildings and only while looking down at the ground or up towards the sky, which is really odd, not sure what could be causing just looking down or up choppyness, everything else though smooth as a babies butt after the 4096x4096 got removed
Jeneene Hunte

Post » Fri May 25, 2012 7:50 am

looking for more fixes if anyone has any good advice, game still running sluggish, especially when entering a cave with lots of dust clouds in it, it seems like the game is running fine but there's a terrible stutter going on
Emma Parkinson

Return to V - Skyrim