CIA/ FBI exsistance

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 am

Okay so Im working on some back story for a Vault/Dungeon encounter and Im wondering if there is any canon for the existence of the FBI/CIA in the Fallout games.

I could have easily forgotten or missed something from 1 2 and Tactics so maybe someone on here who has a clearer recollection of those games could help out.
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:00 pm

Neither of them is mentioned in any of the games, as far as I know. However, FBI was formed long before the Divergence, so it probably existed, unless it was somehow dissolved or renamed. As for CIA, it was formed in 1947, so it could have never even existed, although there's nothing that would say that it couldn't exist.

As for what government agencies were mentioned, we know of BADTFL (Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers) and UAF (Unamerican Activities Force).
JUan Martinez

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Neither of them is mentioned in any of the games, as far as I know. However, FBI was formed long before the Divergence, so it probably existed, unless it was somehow dissolved or renamed. As for CIA, it was formed in 1947, so it could have never even existed, although there's nothing that would say that it couldn't exist.

As for what government agencies were mentioned, we know of BADTFL (Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers) and UAF (Unamerican Activities Force).

Thanks I remember the UAF, basically I wonder if both the FBI and CIA were merged and run the UAF, somewhat akin Homeland Security.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:16 pm

In Fallout 2 the Secret Service is mentioned also. Remember http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Frank_Horrigan(I mean who can forget him? He is just the single most deadly enemy in the entire Fallout Universe hands down.)?
marie breen

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Since playing Fallout 3, I've wondered about the lack of FBI and CIA. Both headquarters are within the area in Fallout 3. It would have been great to explore them.

In Fallout 2 the Secret Service is mentioned also. ...

Of course the Secret Service is unrelated to the CIA and FBI.

The Secret Service is a part of the Treasury department.

The FBI is a part of the Justice Department. The CIA reports to the President, sometimes through the National Security Advisor.
lilmissparty

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:44 am

Thanks I remember the UAF, basically I wonder if both the FBI and CIA were merged and run the UAF, somewhat akin Homeland Security.

I doubt there would have been a merger, especially since we are to assume that the FBI remained very similar to Hoover's FBI(instead of the Bureau that we know in OTL). If anything, the UAF would probably have been Fallout's equivalent of the Department of Homeland Security.
Bloomer

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 pm

I seem to recall a terminal at L.O.B Enterprises mentioning the 'Feds' in Fallout 3.

It might be a long shot to -presume- that they were the FBI, per se... but it would seem to indicate some very similar governmental division.
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:51 am

I doubt there would have been a merger, especially since we are to assume that the FBI remained very similar to Hoover's FBI(instead of the Bureau that we know in OTL). If anything, the UAF would probably have been Fallout's equivalent of the Department of Homeland Security.

Well I meant more of the FBI gained more powers instead of the CIA coming into existence.
Soraya Davy

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Since playing Fallout 3, I've wondered about the lack of FBI and CIA. Both headquarters are within the area in Fallout 3. It would have been great to explore them.

Of course the Secret Service is unrelated to the CIA and FBI.

The Secret Service is a part of the Treasury department.

The FBI is a part of the Justice Department. The CIA reports to the President, sometimes through the National Security Advisor.

Thank you for clarifying. I just wanted to point out that some real services had been mentioned. Someone had already brought up UAF and the BADTFL :bigsmile:
oops...not that those are real but have real life equivalents:
BADTFL=ATF (obviously)
UAF=(Homeland Security? Maybe this is also like a hybrid of FBI and CIA?)
Matt Bigelow

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:31 am

BADTFL=ATF (obviously)

I always though ATF stood for Anti-Terrorist Force
Batricia Alele

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 am

I always though ATF stood for Anti-Terrorist Force

Alchohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
in Fallout Universe:
bureau Alchohol drugs Tobacco, Firearms and lasers
JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:31 am

Actually, and though they still use the ATF logo, officially it is now the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Esther Fernandez

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Is it really? I learn something new every day...
Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm

This thread has inspired a rather odd idea... A game in the fallout world where the PC is a decendant of a community founded by Canadian Mounties....
Taylrea Teodor

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:31 pm

My guess is with reference to the BADTFL would be that it was formed as an amalgamation of:

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Division(Under the administration of the IRS)
The Federal Bureau of Narcotics(Under the Treasury)
joseluis perez

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:33 am

Alchohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

I know. I heard it on TV while posting
Syaza Ramali

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Well the CIA was made during the Cold war And the FBI when the mafi came on... too early so... thye were never ther
Stephanie Kemp

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:56 am

I support the theory that they were merged into some super anti commie group. The thing that concerned America most was communist so during the prolonged cold war they took increased measures to weed at communists, and fusing the FBI and CIA would probably create an effective department to do so.
Anna Beattie

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Well the CIA was made during the Cold war And the FBI when the mafi came on... too early so... thye were never ther

Actually the "Bureau" as we know it today, did not come out during "Prohibition". but instead has it's own roots in the Bureau of Investigation est. 1908.

The CIA(est.1947) was successor of the OSS, so therefore it is fairly plausible that the CIA existed in the Fallout Universe too.
Lisa Robb

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:00 am

It is very Useful of the existence of FBI.Thanks for sharing this.Thank you.

http://www.pass4sure-dumps.com.ca test engine is designed for Canadian who wants to pass any IT tests.
dean Cutler

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Well since the states surly went into some sort form of Police - State (don't say otherwise the democracy they were talkin' about was just bullocks and propaganda) in the 21th century, I am sure there would have been some sort of secrect agency a big brother state doesn't run that well without any kind of secrect agency (1984) ...
Irmacuba

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:54 am

Well since the states surly went into some sort form of Police - State (don't say otherwise the democracy they were talkin' about was just bullocks and propaganda) in the 21th century, I am sure there would have been some sort of secrect agency a big brother state doesn't run that well without any kind of secrect agency (1984) ...

The States that make up the CONUS, never actually descended into any form of authoritarianism. The only change that would be possible, at the state level, would have been that the "State Police" forces would have been replaced by a larger "Commonwealth Police".

A good example of this would be: Former: Vermont State Police Current: New England Commonwealth Police
Robyn Lena

Return to Fallout Series Discussion