Does everyone speak English now?

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 am

There's plenty of Rammstein and Enya fans here in the USA, if that says anything (great combo, eh? Got them from my WMP). I haven't the slightest clue what they're singing about, but it sounds good.

I have Enya, and Alizee. Don't understand a word of non-English songs, but still like what I hear. I just was surprised that many actually put in effort to sing these songs. In front of thousands of people. On TV.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Rammstein's ... America is a pretty sweet song to listen to as well.

I can't help but :rofl: at my fellow Americans that like that song.

I do like a lot of German bands, but I speak a fair amount of the language. :shrug:
Kari Depp

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

It's sad, I agree, but it is how it is.

I don't think there's anything sad about it at all; if one prefers one language over another, one should not abstain from it just because it isn't one's native language.

Personally, I find Swedish to be inferior to English in every way, and I wouldn't mind if I had to speak English for the rest of my life. It's not like I owe to to anybody to speak Swedish just because that's my native tongue.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:55 pm

Is this common around the world?

The second part, pretty much. English has some kind of stylish vibe to people in many countries, even if they don't understand the words at all.
As for the first he brought up, there are few countries where it is common to dub a movie into their native language. Might have those results, but I can't really judge that, being English native and having lived mostly in countries of those selected few. ^_^

Since someone mentioned Rammstein's Amerika... This song is both about the US and exactly what this topic is about. Kind of funny.
Anna S

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 am

Is this common around the world?

I wouldn't know, I honestly doubt that it's on such a huge scale. Because Asian people have everything synchronized and pretty much media of their own, south America also has everything in their languages, as well as all bigger countries in Europe, like Germany in Russia which all synchronize just about every type of media that comes their way. My country is small so none of our media is translated and we get all in english.
But let's face it, Asia and America are really huge and getting their ears and eyes would be a huge profit, and honestly, would Americans listen to songs in Russian? I frankly doubt it.

I don't think there's anything sad about it at all; if one prefers one language over another, one should not abstain from it just because it isn't one's native language.

I think it is, in way that this way English/American culture is indirectly (or maybe even directly) pushing itself among us while our media and culture is pushing nowhere, thus loosing itself.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:06 am

It doesn't have to. It's not good writing and yet millions of Americans are eating it up.

That is because you represent one opinion, and America represents 306 million of them.
Charity Hughes

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:02 am

Hmm it does annoy me when my own countrymen sing in English with an American accent. Its jarring to me, like someone from California decided to put on a really heavy Scottish accent, its just silly.

At the same time, there are some singers who seem to put on even stronger northern accents than they actually have just to subvert this. I don't mind the Kaiser Chiefs, but the Arctic Monkeys kinda annoy me.
jessica Villacis

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:30 am

I can't help but :rofl: at my fellow Americans that like that song.

I do like a lot of German bands, but I speak a fair amount of the language. :shrug:

I like that song. And understand most of what's going on in the song. (Still learning german)
Kevin S

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:58 am

That is because you represent one opinion, and America represents 306 million of them.

This kinda goes beyond just opinions. But hey, in my opinion, intelligent and educated tastes pwn any majority interests.
Nick Jase Mason

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 am

This kinda goes beyond just opinions. But hey, in my opinion, intelligent and educated tastes pwn any majority interests.

Not when it comes to leisure
If people want to relax by reading Twilight thats their choice. Doesn't mean they can't think, just that they don't want to think hard as a leisure activity
Now if Twilight was to appear as a text for study at school or in university Literiture courses that would be worrying
katie TWAVA

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:12 am

If people want to relax by reading Twilight thats their choice. Doesn't mean they can't think, just that they don't want to think hard as a leisure activity
Now if Twilight was to appear as a text for study at school or in university Literiture courses that would be worrying

"Ok class, in this scene we see edward perform an emergency c-section on bella with his teeth. What cultural ramifications could this produce?"
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 am

Hmm. Seems my hyperbole didn't come across as complimentary to Masaccio's point.
Kayleigh Williams

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:51 am

We're getting into qualifying leisure regardless of its sensibility. To this, I wonder, why some think we check our brains at the door to have fun.
Joe Alvarado

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 am

Music is a barrier breaker. There is an appeal to music that transcends language, A good singer/songwriter can sing in any language to any crowd and convey everything the song is about through the emotion they put into it, the effort they put forth to touch the crowd. Beautiful music is universal.

Now onto the other sub-topic:

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/twilight-fan-insanity-10.jpg
http://www.bobafettmp.com/celebration3/day4/images/IMG_4792.JPG

'nuff said
Austin England

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 am

Do none of you guys sing O Tannenbaum? :unsure:
Honey Suckle

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 am

We're getting into qualifying leisure regardless of its sensibility. To this, I wonder, why some think we check our brains at the door to have fun.

I put it to you that it is entirely impossible to read Ulysses without checking your brain at the door. It is simply a load of meaningless dribble that is closer to the monkeys than to Shakespeare.

Entertainment comes in many different flavours, and only the worst of fools could ever discard one form because he prefers another.
Big Homie

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I like that song. And understand most of what's going on in the song. (Still learning german)

I dont think many Americans actually understand it, its pretty funny and ironic.

Anyway they sing english because the song sounds good, I like rammstein in german it sounds good, sing the english transaltions and its terrible.
Jonathan Montero

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 am

I put it to you that it is entirely impossible to read Ulysses without checking your brain at the door. It is simply a load of meaningless dribble that is closer to the monkeys than to Shakespeare.

Entertainment comes in many different flavours, and only the worst of fools could ever discard one form because he prefers another.

By the same token, I watched "The Road" after hearing such positive critical reviews. I thought it was awful. The whole movie was agony throughout, with a tiny-weeny happy ending that felt convenient for the sake of wrapping up the story. I didn't like it.

You didn't like Ulysses. Got it. I got it. I hear you.

But I'd put both on my shelf before many of the popular slushies out there now.
Killah Bee

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 am

I dont think many Americans actually understand it, its pretty funny and ironic.

Anyway they sing english because the song sounds good, I like rammstein in german it sounds good, sing the english transaltions and its terrible.

Well yeah, because it doesn't rhyme in English. . .

I agree that Amerika by Rammstein is pretty much in the same line as this topic, although I'm not too sure what the OP's question or statement was.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Well yeah, because it doesn't rhyme in English. . .

Thats the point. Just like if the English song was in spanish it wouldne be as good, and tehre are lots of popular english speaking artists.

One day I will need to learn Italian, that would make dantes inferno sound alot better, I need to finish reading it in English first.
Roddy

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

There's nothing inherently wrong with Anmerican culture and music, I like a lot of it, but its just a shame to think how much good music in other languages never gets to see the light of day because everyone's obsessed with making it big in America.

Not Japanese Pop music. Eeeewww.
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:31 am

I was never a big fan of Ulysses. Trying to use the entire english language in a single book makes for a boring book. Finnegan's Wake, however, is far more entertaining, especially if you know the song behind it. But it's incomprehenisble to the extreme. I mean, seriously, can anyone under all of this bit.

As the lion in our teargarten remembers the nenuphars of his Nile (shall Ariuz forget Arioun or Boghas the baregams of the Marmarazalles from Marmeniere?) it may be, tots wearsense full a naggin in twentyg have sigilposted what in our brievingbust, the besieged bedreamt him stil and solely of those lililiths undeveiled which had undone him, gone for age, and knew not the watchful treachers at his wake, and theirs to stay. Fooi, fooi, chamermissies! Zeepyzoepy, larcenlads! Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! It may be, we moest ons hasten selves te declareer it, that he reglimmed? presaw? the fields of heat and yields of wheat where corngold Ysit? shamed and shone. It may be, we habben to upseek a bitty door our good township's courants want we knew't, that with his deepseeing insight (had not wishing oftebeen but good time wasted), petrified within his patriarchal shamanah, broadsteyne 'bove citie (Twillby! Twillby!) he conscious of enemies, a kingbilly whitehorsed in a Finglas mill, prayed, as he sat on anxious seat, (kunt ye neat gift mey toe bout a peer saft eyballds!) during that three and a hellof hours' agony of silence, ex profundis malorum, with unfeigned charity that his ouxtrador wordwounder (an engles to the teeth who, nomened Nash of Girahash, would go anyold where in the weeping world on his mottled belly (the rab, the kreeponskneed!) for milk, music or married missusses) might, mercy toprovidential benevolence's who hates prudencies' astuteness, unfold into the first of a distinguished dynasty of his posteriors, blackfaced connemaras not of the fold but elder children of his household, his most besetting of ideas (pace his twolve predamanant passions) being the formation, as in more favoured climes, where the Meadow of Honey is guestfriendly and the Mountain of Joy receives, of a truly criminal stratum, Ham's cribcracking yeggs, thereby at last eliminating from the oppidump much desultory delinquency from all classes and masses with directly derivative decasualisation sigarius (sic!) vindicat urbes terrorum (sicker!): and so, to mark a bank taal she arter, the obedience of the citizens elp the ealth of the ole.

I also can't stress enough that there is no homogenous American Culture.
Chavala

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 pm

I presume all your leisure activities are high-brow then? (which kind of makes me wonder what you're doing on a games forum).
You don't watch sport, never play FPS games or watch an action movie?
I've read Joyce and other literary authors at times. I also read a lot of detective , fantasy and sci-fi novels (not Twilight though, my slushy phase was over 20 years ago :D). One doesn't prevent the other.
Mrs Pooh

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

I also can't stress enough that there is no homogenous American Culture.

...and even if there was, one single person out of 309 million would not have any right whatsoever to pass judgement on it.

PS. The BGSF be damned, judgement is spelled that way, no matter what some colourless dishonourable armoured suits think! DS
Dean Ashcroft

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 am

I sing along to Rammstein songs and I only know a few german words. I also sing along to a lot of French stuff and I know no french at all.

I do speak English and understand lyrics so I sing along as easy to them as I do to swedish songs.
james tait

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games