Enclave....

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Ok so I was thinking, and I came to the possible conclusion that perhaps Bethesda designed the Enclave as kinda a stab at todays U.S. government and the corruption that lies within it. Now I realize that to some this may sound like a very extreme and liberal thing to suggest but think about it, could the fact that the Enclave is run by a
Spoiler
power hungry machine
be any indication that Bethesda is making some type of statement about the U.S. government? I have heard people make the comparison between the two for years. Also the fact that Enclave like to pretend that they know whats best for everybody when really theyr only making things worse, dont people say the same thing about the U.S. government? These are only a couple of reasons of how I came to this conclusion but there are many many more that support it. So now I ask what do you guys think? Am i not alone or am I just crazy?
Chris Guerin

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:53 am

Um, they didnt think up the Enclave. The Enclave was formerly introduced in Fallout 2 (i think) by Interplay. I would say some aspects of the Enclave match up with the US government, but im also going to say some do not. The US government #1 elects its leaders and representetives fairly, while the Enclave doesnt. Another aspect is the fact that the Enclave does pretend to make things better, even though it only benefits them, while the US government does think its doing the right thing, but yes, sometimes it makes things worse. The Enclave also tries to kill anyone non-Enclave, while the US government doesnt.
Eileen Collinson

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 pm

...I swear I've replied to a thread like this before. Like a couple minutes ago.

The Eclave is what Fallout's government was like before the war. It has nothing to do with modern-day real-life stuff.
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 am

Um, they didnt think up the Enclave. The Enclave was formerly introduced in Fallout 2 (i think) by Interplay. I would say some aspects of the Enclave match up with the US government, but im also going to say some do not. The US government #1 elects its leaders and representetives fairly, while the Enclave doesnt. Another aspect is the fact that the Enclave does pretend to make things better, even though it only benefits them, while the US government does think its doing the right thing, but yes, sometimes it makes things worse. The Enclave also tries to kill anyone non-Enclave, while the US government doesnt.

yea my bad on saying bethesda made the enclave, sometimes i forget bout that :P
and yes your right about the differences, maybe to rephrase what I said a little better: I think the Enclave was made to play off of peoples fears, suspicions, rantings, and paranoias of the U.S. government
but you are right theyr not exactly the same, theyr "the same but different" lol
vanuza

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:48 am

...Wasn't this thread here a couple of minutes ago?
And... and then it went poof?
I replied to it. I remember.
Etta Hargrave

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm

...I swear I've replied to a thread like this before. Like a couple minutes ago.

The Eclave is what Fallout's government was like before the war. It has nothing to do with modern-day real-life stuff.

Actually the Enclave is/was a shadow government, governing things behind the scenes. Not the US government persay, but they took it over post-apacalypse.
Dalley hussain

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:44 am

...Wasn't this thread here a couple of minutes ago?
And... and then it went poof?
I replied to it. I remember.

lmao yes i posted it, walked my dog, came back and it was gone, i just backed up a page and reposted
meg knight

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:15 am

Why not?
In the game that's what the government was like. I think that they tried to base the Enclave on todays government.
The US is run by "A Power hungry machine". As is in Fallout.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:42 pm

In the game that's what the government was like. I think that they tried to base the Enclave on todays government.
The US is run by "A Power hungry machine". As is in Fallout.

That could be any government, at any given point in time. It's hardly an original concept to turn the government into the 'bad guys'- Just look at A Clockwork Orange, Brave New World, or 1984.
(Besides, the government always makes things worse, don't you know that? It's like it's their job description.)
I never read too deeply into it, other than I did think it was hilariously fitting that the government was hiding out on an oil rig.
Amy Melissa

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Actually the Enclave is/was a shadow government, governing things behind the scenes. Not the US government persay, but they took it over post-apacalypse.

It was composed of government officials, high-ranking military officers and corporation CEOs.
-__^

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:52 am

You see Enclave billboards all over the Wasteland. Since the government rarely puts up billboards advertising itself, I had always assumed it was a political party, possibly the remnants of the republican party, that after the war's end used superior technology to try to take over the wasteland.. I don't know much about the alternate timeline, but that's my guess.

My guess is, the game designers were probably D-crats, simply because one of the
Spoiler
cannibals at Andale
claims that all the residents vote republican and not for some "commie Democrats".
Amy Melissa

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:33 am

so the enclave were like the cia then all the sudden they found they could have power and ran for it. I get it.
Amanda Leis

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:25 am

fyi, political stuff is against the rules of this site. The other page that poofed probably got too close to modern irl politics. So try not to draw too many parallels, or this will poof too.

edit: btw, in FO2, the Enclave was a group of rich oil tycoons who lived on an oil rig. They have no official affiliation with the US Army. The rich folks just bought all the army tech and "voted" themselves to be the new president, senate, etc when all the bombs fell. Meanwhile, the BoS was genuinely developed from the military.
Lynette Wilson

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:33 am

You see Enclave billboards all over the Wasteland. Since the government rarely puts up billboards advertising itself, I had always assumed it was a political party, possibly the remnants of the republican party

No, that's just the Enclave's propaganda so that people would run to Enclave soldiers for "help" (read: kill)

The Enclave posters are new, and have been put over numerous posters and billboards.

so the enclave were like the cia then all the sudden they found they could have power and ran for it. I get it.

:blink: Not anything like the CIA (to my knowledge) it wasn't a department or agency, it was a well hidden organization and as Ausir pointed out, made up of high ranking CEO's, High ranking Military officers, and government officials.
Aman Bhattal

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:09 pm

fyi, political stuff is against the rules of this site. The other page that poofed probably got too close to modern irl politics. So try not to draw too many parallels, or this will poof too.

edit: btw, in FO2, the Enclave was a group of rich oil tycoons who lived on an oil rig. They have no official affiliation with the US Army. The rich folks just bought all the army tech and "voted" themselves to be the new president, senate, etc when all the bombs fell. Meanwhile, the BoS was genuinely developed from the military.

In FO2 the creators of the Enclave were the US government. It was created by the last officially elected US president.

Come 2077, with total nuclear war rapidly arriving at America's doorstep, the President of the United States and a number of other United States government officials left their posts to take refuge in a number of secret locations around the world. Among them was the Poseidon oil rig. Here, the President himself set up a secret base from which the USA could continue to exist and wage war on China, with the eventual goal of retaking the continental United States. A little reading from wiki.
latrina

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:00 am

The Enclave is nothing like the CIA (CIA is so overrated!). Just like how yodog pointed out, they were a secret orginization inside the government that held alot of influence and power.
Tinkerbells

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:15 am

hmmm... I have to say but the Enclave is what reminds me of the US goverment today, :ooo: lol. The Brotherhood isn't like them!
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am

Just to reiterate what others have said - real world politics is a restricted topic on this forum, and any thread connecting the Enclave to the current US government is walking a very fine line. Let's make sure it isn't crossed.
Lauren Graves

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 am

You arent crazy. Their Enclave is an image of the old Enclave...and that was inspired ultimately by a traditional "organized survivalist faction" more than common in the literature and media of the genre.
You might want to quit while you are ahead or you might see how deep this rabbit hole goes...
Natasha Biss

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:15 am

You arent crazy. Their Enclave is an image of the old Enclave...and that was inspired ultimately by a traditional "organized survivalist faction" more than common in the literature and media of the genre.
You might want to quit while you are ahead or you might see how deep this rabbit hole goes...

i wont input my own opinions cuz then it probably will cross the line, I had a feeling this topic could end up bad, lol im over it
Ron

Return to Fallout Series Discussion