Gaming Today is Not All That Great

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:14 am

This generation has been pretty lackluster in my opinion. A lot of the games seem fairly contrived and uninteresting, not all of them of course. I enjoyed the Witcher 3 immensely. UnderRail was great. Doom was excellent. However, compared to last generation, there is absolutely nothing that compares. Last generation we saw the arrival and rejuvenation of great franchises such as Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Fallout 3/NV, Deus Ex, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Metro, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, the Witcher, and many many more. These were all new IPs with the exception of Fallout and Deus Ex, which were in limbo for awhile, and Red Dead Redemption.

But for me, while the last generation was absolutely great, many of the games were overly similar in play-style. They were either first-person shooter with or without RPG elements or third-person action adventures or third-person RPGs.

Browsing through GOG, I noticed tons of games I loved when I was growing up, that were immensely popular for the time, more popular than TES if you can imagine that (In the Daggerfall/Arena days) -- Caesar, Alpha Centauri, Railroad Tycoon, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zeus, Age of Empires, Master of Magic, Castles 2, Might and Magic, Wizardry, Ultima, Lords of Magic, Quake, Doom, Unreal, Dune, Command & Conquer, Heroes of Might and Magic, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Myst, Syphon Filter, Red Baron, etc.

There was so much more variety. You had everything from "good" sim type games to great RPGs to great RTS and 4x strategy games and everything in between, and they were quality titles with polish, not indie-titles. I miss that variety in games. Like right now, I want to play a period sim type game such as Caesar 3, but there aren't any. 4x strategy games are few and far between. RTS are in a slump. The only RPGs we have don't really have a lot of meat on the bones if you ask me compared to Baldur's Gate or Ultima. If I wanted a cinematic experience full of quest markers and hand-holding, why even bother with the genre or gaming in general? Where's Castles 3 or something more innovative? Where's the modern Conquest of the New World or Red Baron?

I've seen a lot of complaints regarding the lack of variety in gaming today, and for a long time, so I know I'm not the only one.

edit: To put it into perspective, all those games I listed came out in a 10 year span. Most of the ones I listed were just from the PC. In the 90s we also had SNES, Sega, Playsation, and Nintendo 64 pushing out really innovative titles. Anyone remember Twisted Metal and Crash?

Isabell Hoffmann

Return to Othor Games