How to install MW to Program Files not x(86) for W7

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:42 am

Firstly I apologize as their has been a rash of these.

My issue is pretty simple, prior to reading this post: http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1106868-morrowind-and-vista-7/page__view__findpost__p__16224266 I had the problem of no mods showing up.

That issue is more or less fixed now, but as I moved onto include the expansions, they were being automatically installed to the x86 folder with no option to alter the destination folder. I also realize that there are about eight uninstalls that may be on the backup drive of my new computer, an Asus Essentio.

Any help with this would be appreciated!
Alessandra Botham

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:25 am

Firstly I apologize as their has been a rash of these.

My issue is pretty simple, prior to reading this post: http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1106868-morrowind-and-vista-7/page__view__findpost__p__16224266 I had the problem of no mods showing up.

That issue is more or less fixed now, but as I moved onto include the expansions, they were being automatically installed to the x86 folder with no option to alter the destination folder. I also realize that there are about eight uninstalls that may be on the backup drive of my new computer, an Asus Essentio.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

You'll need to delete the InstalledPath registry entry in order to Install the game to another directory. In Windows 7 64-bit the key is located in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind. This should be removed during a normal uninstall procedure, but not always.

Why do you want to install it to Program Files (without x86) this is reserved for 64-bit applications. Morrowind is not a 64-bit application.
e.Double

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 am

You'll need to delete the InstalledPath registry entry in order to Install the game to another directory. In Windows 7 64-bit the key is located in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind. This should be removed during a normal uninstall procedure, but not always.

Why do you want to install it to Program Files (without x86) this is reserved for 64-bit applications. Morrowind is not a 64-bit application.

I was following the advice of another post to install it to another folder, PF seemed decent, and I don't know how to locate or make "C:\Games\Morrowind" I'm a decade long XP user, so most of this 7 and vista stuff is all greek to me.
Everardo Montano

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:34 am

I was following the advice of another post to install it to another folder, PF seemed decent, and I don't know how to locate or make "C:\Games\Morrowind" I'm a decade long XP user, so most of this 7 and vista stuff is all greek to me.

Making a new directory is the same as Windows XP. Use Computer [My Computer] and navigate to C:/ and then right-click and select New Folder. Rename the
"New Folder" to "Games". Alteratively, you may create the directory during the Morrowind installation.

First, I strongly recommend that you attempt to uninstall Morrowind using the traditionally method (uninstaller). Also delete the Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind folder manually.

Next, you'll need to delete that registry entry I told you about in the previous thread. In Vista/7 the search bar under the "Start Menu" acts like the Run... box. Type: regedit

Once in the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> WoW6432Node >> Bethesda Softworks >> Morrowind. You may delete that entire registry pathway, but all you really need to delete is the key Installed Path - type REG_SZ. Select it in the right-hand panel, right-click and select delete.

Now, reboot the computer. After rebooting you just need to install Morrowind as normal. You should now have the option to change the installation directory.
celebrity

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:36 am

Making a new directory is the same as Windows XP. Use Computer [My Computer] and navigate to C:/ and then right-click and select New Folder. Rename the
"New Folder" to "Games". Alteratively, you may create the directory during the Morrowind installation.

First, I strongly recommend that you attempt to uninstall Morrowind using the traditionally method (uninstaller). Also delete the Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind folder manually.

Next, you'll need to delete that registry entry I told you about in the previous thread. In Vista/7 the search bar under the "Start Menu" acts like the Run... box. Type: regedit

Once in the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> WoW6432Node >> Bethesda Softworks >> Morrowind. You may delete that entire registry pathway, but all you really need to delete is the key Installed Path - type REG_SZ. Select it in the right-hand panel, right-click and select delete.

Now, reboot the computer. After rebooting you just need to install Morrowind as normal. You should now have the option to change the installation directory.

Awesome, its working so far, I hope it alleviates all of the previous issues. Ill let you know how it goes. Either way, have a cookie!
Emily Jeffs

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:15 am

Okay it works but Im having this problem:

http://chorrol.com/files/857/MWInstallError.jpg

I honestly have no idea what the heck it means....
Princess Johnson

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 am

Okay it works but Im having this problem:

http://chorrol.com/files/857/MWInstallError.jpg

I honestly have no idea what the heck it means....

That means its having trouble reading from the disc, and failing a checksum (used to verify data integrity). Clean the CD/DVD, but if its heavily stratched you may need to purchase another disc.
ZANEY82

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:58 am

LOL!! The last thing I would have thought of! Thank you! It is installed!

If your ever in LA, I owe you a beer, or five.
HARDHEAD

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey, thanks. Just something to add if someone else finds this thread looking for help.....

In addition to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> WoW6432Node >> Bethesda Softworks >> Morrowind

You also need to delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> WoW6432Node >> Bethesda Softworks >> TES3 Editor

I had that one too for some reason.
Charles Mckinna

Return to III - Morrowind