Little Lamplights existence

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 4:33 am

I'm surprised Big Town didn't turn out like the blasted cities of A Boy and His Dog. Packed with all the f-d up adolesents the Lamplighters don't want around anyway because radiation becomes an aphrodisiac for young teen males somehow. Surprised that FO 1-3 didn't have a Vic to go with Dogmeat either.
Laura Shipley

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Mad Max (1) comes to mind... ;) Road Warrior was a bit worse, but still great. Beyond Thunderdome, I kinda pretend it doesn't exist :mellow:

mad max one didnt even take place in a post apocaliptic world, that came later in movie 2
Matt Terry

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 am

mad max one didnt even take place in a post apocaliptic world, that came later in movie 2

No nukes had yet gone off in MM1, but society had already nearly completely crumbled.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:07 am

Probably most of the kids come from other "kids" who are about to leave Little Lamplight... when they're somewhere between the ages of 12~15.

It's not like the wasteland has rules about that you know?

I really don't care about LL population, what really annoys me is how a bunch of kids can hold 2 defensive positions at the same time? One being the super mutant's most populated and irradiated zone and the other that leads to the Wasteland wich anything can broke trough.

Not to mention that their gates are giant signs made of wood...
Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:57 am

It's a nice idea, which makes for an interesting place to visit, but in reality doesn't stand up to a lot of questioning. Best not to read into it too much, in my opinion.
Charlotte Buckley

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 11:09 pm

In the first Fallout (small chance my memory is wrong and it's Fallout 2), there's a recording where Richard Gray ("the Master") explains that humans unexposed to radiation become mentally superior when they are dipped in vats. On the other hand, radiated humans dipped into vats turn out as stupid SM's.

FWIW, my theory was that the SM's were using LL as a farm, where they took young captured children, and deliberately let them live in a low radiation environment (rad reducing mushrooms). Then when the children grew up with low mutations (or whatever), the SM's captured them again, and turned them into the elite smart SM leaders. The kids had to leave at a certain age because it's known that they attract SM attacks, and couldn't be protected any longer in LL.

Excerpts from Richard Gray's diary from earlier Fallout:

I can't believe that I was finally able to drag myself out of that vat. The slime did not affect me, but I nearly drowned.

"Things are becoming more clear to me every day. This toxin has actually improved my mind. I feel that I can understand even the most complex philosophical questions simply and directly."

entry from later date...

"The few wanderers that have found their way here have been a disappointment to me. They can't seem to mutate correctly. The best I've been able to create are some big and dumb mutants."

entry from yet further in the future...

"Oh glorious creator!! I have succeeded in spreading the complete joy of unification to another soul! Unlike the others, his total radiation count was low. I believe this is the factor we have been overlooking all this time, as it seems the conversion is more successful in the cases with less radiation damage."

danni Marchant

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:57 am

In the first Fallout (small chance my memory is wrong and it's Fallout 2), there's a recording where Richard Gray ("the Master") explains that humans unexposed to radiation become mentally superior when they are dipped in vats. On the other hand, radiated humans dipped into vats turn out as stupid SM's.

FWIW, my theory was that the SM's were using LL as a farm, where they took young captured children, and deliberately let them live in a low radiation environment (rad reducing mushrooms). Then when the children grew up with low mutations (or whatever), the SM's captured them again, and turned them into the elite smart SM leaders. The kids had to leave at a certain age because it's known that they attract SM attacks, and couldn't be protected any longer in LL.

That's a very good theory... certainly would make a lot of sense. It seems only sensible that the SM's in vault 87 would have a captive supply of humans to experiment with the FEV, and yet there is no such thing within the vault itself (except Sid... but he's just one guy, who seems to be on the way to mutation already). Little Lamplight is the perfect place to farm humans from - closeby, and low levels of radiation for more effective mutations.
Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 5:54 am

When you think about it, no, Little Lamplight should not exist. Twenty decades of children having more children and i very much doubt the little camping trip the original inhabitants had at that location ranged from more than 2000+ kids, that means they all in some way or form are related. One word; incist.
His Bella

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 11:15 am

When you think about it, no, Little Lamplight should not exist. Twenty decades of children having more children and i very much doubt the little camping trip the original inhabitants had at that location ranged from more than 2000+ kids, that means they all in some way or form are related. One word; incist.

Maybe other kids joined over the 200 years which helped the population, also I thought I killed you!!!

On a further note, I think that people need to be over a certain age to successfully become a SM. So the SMs wait until the leavers make their way to Big Town and then capture them, I'm guessing while they're in the area of Big town
Anna Krzyzanowska

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 12:33 am

Now, Im not going to talk about the plausibility of reproduction, but more about the children having actually been there when the bombs went off.

For starters, the great war happened on a Saturday, and as far as I know, children don't do school on saturdays. Another problem with this is that the children were most likely, there at night. In a house in D.C where a robot still does daily chores, burned out skeletons are there, but the big problem? The people were asleep when they died.

Sorry, I just am confused about what happened, and I hope this will be answered well.
Thanks!

The Great War wasn't exactly a great suprise. Consider that these kids were on a field trip on friday. The news breaks that a nuclear attack has occured. The teachers therefore keep the students in the cave 'for safety' instead of returning them home. Not only is it plausible but it makes perfect sense they would still be there saturday night when the bombs hit.
Becky Palmer

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 am

The problem with that is that there is extremely lethal radiation at the front door to V87 the captives would be dead (as evidenced by the Lw trying to walk there.) before they got even close to the door. No the Mutants would have killed all the kids a long time ago I would think. Also it isn't like Little Lamplight is a secret or anything. Hell the slavers know they are there they could have broke in pretty easily. They have what 2 guards at the front gate, And a wooden sign as a gate?

I wanted to point this out but you get the cookiedough icecream cone :icecream:

The Fallout Universe is not our own. The Fallout Universe is an alternate universe. Everything I have ever read by Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku and other geniuses who know about real science say that the laws of other universes aren't likely to match our own. In the Fallout Universe 2077 was alot like our fifties which should give us a huge clue as to why radiation, nutrition and whether people still fear Communism two centuries after the apocalypse. Fallout is based on what people imagined would happen if there was an atomic war while they feared it during the fifties. Since all possible universes exist (according to the great minds in our own) not only is everything in Fallout 100% accurate but somewhere out there it really exists. And the voice of god there sounds like Ron Perlman and President Eden talks about baseball in Malcolm Mcdowal's voice. Also electricity, ghoulification and chinese assault rifles in caves all work no matter what.

In this context I would like to point out that children are invincible in Beth's Fallout Universe. The Super Mutants would be slaughtered by the LL sentries each time they attacked. Also raiders would have a tough time attacking for the same reason.
Where the children come from is open to intrepretation. I would guess some are wastelander orphans while others were born there to young mothers. An inflow of outside orphans would keep the gene pool refreshed also. As to the possibility of them being self sufficient why not? Primitive tribes whose members think childishly have always existed.
Laura Wilson

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 pm

The Super Mutants have been there for almost 200 years. And Vault 87 is the only known vault in the Capital Wasteland that can produce Super Mutants. So, if you see Super Mutants in Downtown D.C, I wonder where they come from?

What I don't understand is why the Super Mutants didn't take all the children and transformed them in centaurs or Super Mutants. Instead, they wander up to the Downtown D.C or Big Town to take people.

(Oh, right. Children can't be harmed. :P )

Check out those tiny little skeletons on the floor after going in the back gate. A lot of the game is inference.
My blood

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 8:06 pm

How has Lamp Light kept up it population?!?!?!?!!!!!
Lawrence Armijo

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 3:30 am

With pretty much everything regarding all the Fallouts', I'm willing to suspend my disbelief.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 am

I hate Little Lamplight. It's annoying I am sure most know why that is. I have gone on Field trips that go over the weekend. I am not sure if Little Lamplight was an over night camp or not. Does not look like one. Maybe it was some kinda boarding school or the school week changed to a six day week.

It becomes like a legioned and kids look for it to live. It would have been alot better to learn of the kids and their lives with their parents or other guardians. Kids that escaped from cannibals or Raiders. To see feral children that act like dogs. To me little lamplight was more like Neverland, and it's not clear to me how they got their.
kyle pinchen

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 am

My take is that Little Lamplight takes children who wander in. Little Lamplight kicks kids out after their 18th birthday (mentioned in the quest to bring that 18 year old to Germantown). Being that most kids can become sixually active around the age of 12-14 well, that solves the problem of re-population. Realistically speaking the kids would be a LOT more inbred though.
Jeremy Kenney

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:31 am

It's VERY implausible that even if there were ways to repopulate LL that the children would be even remotely near to what we know children to be today.
They grew up with children barely older then themselves to be there parents thus the maturity level that you see in LL would be virtually non-existant.
Not to mention that with virtually no concept of god an afterlife or what death means the LL kids would most likely be a band of savage half-pint canibals.
I mean have you ever really thought about what kind of social order would evolve if you threw 50 9 year olds out on their own? Utter chaos my friends....
Charlotte X

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 am

It's VERY implausible that even if there were ways to repopulate LL that the children would be even remotely near to what we know children to be today.
They grew up with children barely older then themselves to be there parents thus the maturity level that you see in LL would be virtually non-existant.
Not to mention that with virtually no concept of god an afterlife or what death means the LL kids would most likely be a band of savage half-pint canibals.
I mean have you ever really thought about what kind of social order would evolve if you threw 50 9 year olds out on their own? Utter chaos my friends....

Not necessarily... Societies are often built out of the good and welfare of the whole. The people willingly submit to some governance out of the understanding that it allows for their to be some level of equality and control. If it was a complete free-for-all, then it couldn't really be regarded as society or having any social order. It would be anarchy. Even with 9-year olds, there would be some order. If nothing else, the strong would bully everyone else into submission and run things. Little Lamplight having a more democratic society might be less plausible, but not impossible. Due to the threat of bullies doing whatever they want to the other kids and eventually destroying the society, everyone else could have banded together. Then, just as in most societies, the older children (before leaving) could pass down the knowledge to the others. The rules and societal structure could thus be preserved and carried on throughout the generations of children arriving. This doesn't mean they could maturely handle all situations, but adaptations could be made to suit the needs of the society. In other words, out of need comes innovation. Children are capable of acting maturely and responsibly, it just shouldn't be expected to be all the time.

There really isn't that big of an issue with repopulation. Say somebody in Nova's line of work (from Megaton) has a child. Do you think she would keep it, or send it to Little Lamplight? Same goes for others in the Fallout universe. It is quite probable that settlements close to the capital wasteland would send their children there if there was any doubt about their ability to raise and protect the children. There are very few secure locations in the wasteland. Children could easily become a distraction that reduces survivability. Even if those getting kicked out of Little Lamplight hate the place because of that, there is still a good chance they would send any of their children there. After all, the settlement they move to is one of the least secure in the capital wasteland.

The whole teenage pregnancy thing probably wouldn't work for long term repopulation though. Without adequate hospitals and facilities, the mortality rate for those giving birth (especially at a very young age) would probably jump sky high. The mortality rate for advlts would also jump up in this regard; however, that would likely lead to the children of any passing away while giving birth being sent to Little Lamplight. It really depends on the community and the society, as well as surviving family members.

I think one of the best examples I can think of where children would likely be sent away when possible is Rivet City. Even though they are a decently secure society, they don't hold children in high regard. There are also very few children in the society. If an advlt passed on, leaving behind children with no one to watch, they would likely quickly be sent off to Little Lamplight. Just speculation on my part, but Rivet City seems to consider children a distraction and an annoyance.

There is also merit to some of the other ideas that have been thrown around. This was just my take on it.
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:31 am

Taking inspiration from the generally acknowledged worst Mad Max movie made wasn't such a bright idea IMHO. :mellow:

Beyond Thunderdome is actually my favorite of the series. Besides, they dont have much continuity and should be taken at face value. The story of Max is like the Odyysey of that particular wasteland. Like a Myth or Lore. Similar to Fallout, where the Vault Dweller, Chosen One, and Lone Wanderer all become entrenched in local myth and lore.

But yeah Thunderdome is my favorite. And the answer to the ultimate question of life is obvious. I RUN BARTERTOWN!
Captian Caveman

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion