Need help...CTD with purple screen at start menu...

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 12:38 pm

I downloaded from Steam and started up Skyrim. It loads the Beth logo, then when it goes into the start, "New-Load-Credits-Quit" menu, the screen is slowly overcome by a solid purple screen. It then tries to load, when I select "New", then CTDs. I just got the rig built and it ran the free Batman game I got with my card. Everything has ran flawlessly until now.

I have searched everywhere. There have been issues with startup CTDs and the audio settings, but none have described a "purple"
screen. I tried adjusting the video settings....nothing...even on low. I tried adjusting the sound settings, and nothing.

I am a complete newb to PC gaming and all this techy stuff. I have no idea what I'm doing, really. I can't tell if I have the latest update for the game. I assume it was downloaded from Steam, with the latest and greatest.

I made the move to PC, because of Skyrim. I have a lot of money invested and know you guys have been a great support in my build. I thank you very much. Help a dumb old man with a prob...will ya?

Thanks in advance.
Ymani Hood

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

On that load screen is Smoke that slowly billows across the screen.....do you see that ?

In any case "Purple" is usually an indication of missing textures. See if the Game is patched to current. find Skyrim.exe and check its properties..should be version 1.4.27.0

Game files located here...[\path to your game]\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

IF on win7 all you have to do is hover over the EXE and a pop-up will have the file version...don't even have to click...:)

What did the launcher detect for your video card and set your graphic level to..low/medium/high/Ultra...if ultra make sure you go to Advanced tab and put Shadows to high ..never ultra.

Nice build..
Connie Thomas

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers for your card. Your card easily meets the 'High/Very High' http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:System_Requirements (Do you have more than one?)
Baby K(:

Post » Wed May 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks guys. I figured it out last night. Thank you for your responses. It was indeed the vid driver. The purple was for the animation for the smoke. I looked for 2 hrs after posting this and found only suggestions about the sound setting. I just could not see what the sound had to do with it.

I went to the NVIDIA site and downloaded the latest driver. I started up Steam and it downloaded Skyrim again, or I guess it was a patch. It took 3 hrs to download. I started up Skyrim and have been running with all the texture DLC at maxed ultra settings.

I am playing on a 720 Plasma HDTV. It is old but still has stunning images as the day I bought it. Even with just the 720, the true HD graphics are an amazingly eye popping improvement from the Xbox.

I have a better game with SAME controller, and best of all MODS!

Thanks again...The people in this forum rock!

@ camaro : Thank you. I have spent 3 months researching about this rig. It has been 20 yrs since I even opened a case. It is still basically the same "tab-A into slot-B" thing. Just the selection process is overwhelming.
Hearts

Return to V - Skyrim