Only for historical reasons...

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 am

Not sure, if I am the only one :D

My pump broke on monday and a replacement only arrives today. So I fell back onto my laptop, which can run Fallout4 but kind of crappy and laggy.

So I bought/installed Fallout3 and played/started this. Even though the games are only two years apart, Skyrim is a huge leap.

With lots of Texture mods you can make Skyrim look like Fallout4, but you cannot make Fallout3 look like vanilla Skyrim. Oblivion looked much better than Fallout3 and the combat was much better/snappier.

I could easily play and enjoy Oblivion all the way with sneaking, blocking, fighting and magic. Fallout3 is kind of a shock.

The Combat is just terrible! I am hitting air in front of me with a baseball bat and after a while a 3m distant Radroach dies.

Animation... hmm. You kind of hover over the ground moving your legs in a way.

The interface is clumsy at best, even modded (you have to use the mouse in the menu and without ini fix this is impossible because of mouse acceleration).

VATS works OK, but anything outside of this?

Anyway, my replacement pump arrives today 10:25 and I finish work at 17:30...

p.s. yay, parcel in reception!

Laura Ellaby

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 am

I would never play Fallout 3 as a melee-centered character. Melee combat isn't great but it seems to me that the whole point is to use the various ranged weaponry available. I use a combination of VATS, Bullet-Time and manual aiming and I find the combat perfectly fine. As for the graphics, Bethesda began to concentrate more and more on graphics after Morrowind and Fallout 3 and in consequence the gameplay/RPG elements have suffered with the later games. Whether that matters is a matter of taste. There are a lot of things wrong with Fallout 3 but for me the relatively poor graphics isn't one of them.

James Rhead

Return to Fallout 3