What about Risen-like levitation

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:08 pm

My favorite spells (in Daggerfall & Morrowing) has always been levitation. Frankly I couldn't care less if it disrupt combat or make the player too powerful I would just like to have it anyway...Bethesda otherwise has these concerns and since is their opinions which count... what about reaplcing the old (and good!!!) free style levitation with something similar to the one used in the game Risen?

Let me explain for those not familiar with this game:
1) You cast the spell but instead of being able to roam freely you just stay a bunch of feet over the last ground you have touched. Yep you cannot rise.
2) You cannot use it to fly down from a very steep mountain as it consume a lot of magicka, last maybe 15 seconds max, and (i think) if the ground is too far away it doesn't work.
3) In a dungeon however is quite a beatiful spell as it allows you to go to an high enough reachable place and from there, casting the spell, reach the hidden spot full of treasure we all like to have in our game.
4) In the outside is still usefull as it allows to go from a cliff to another (they have to be near though)...in this case its final effect is more or less as sueful as a standard bridge.
Since you are never very far from the ground the AI should not be upgraded in anyway way and also the draing distance could remain the same.

So what do you think?

P.S.
I would still prefer the free form levitation btw...:)
Juan Suarez

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:08 am

not a bad idea...a lot better than no levitation atall, definitely. I like the way the PC folds his legs as if in some sort meditative state in risen...better than walking on air ala morrowind anyway.
Racheal Robertson

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 pm

P.S.
I would still prefer the free form levitation btw...:)

This. :lol:
Free form levitation would be so awesome in a game that has so many mountains all around.
Alexandra walker

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:36 am

So what do you think?

It was the same method used in Arx Fatalis, and a method that frankly I preferred. It made a powerful effect very challenging to use.
Neil

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:08 am

am I allowed to bump threads in this forum? Either way, this thread deserved more exposure because it was a decent idea.
le GraiN

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:53 pm

3) In a dungeon however is quite a beatiful spell as it allows you to go to an high enough reachable place and from there, casting the spell, reach the hidden spot full of treasure we all like to have in our game.

Sounds great, especially the hidden treasure part :goodjob:
Nah, who am I kidding here, I need levitation and climbing!
Laura Wilson

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:53 pm

I'd definatly prefer freeform leviatation. It'd be awesoem dogfighting with a dragon and a sword. Spells would still be fun in the air but I doubt they'd be as adrenalin pumping as a melee with a flying dragon.
Ash

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:11 am

I'd definatly prefer freeform leviatation. It'd be awesoem dogfighting with a dragon and a sword. Spells would still be fun in the air but I doubt they'd be as adrenalin pumping as a melee with a flying dragon.

:lmao: How bout, "No"......
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:13 pm

No levitation please, would be kinda lame.
Rhysa Hughes

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:41 am

It is a pretty good idea, actually. Levitation in the earlier TES game got a bit out of hand at times, and I think Bethesda was pretty solid in their reasons for not including it in Oblivion. Something like this, where you only levitated at a certain (relatively short) distance above the ground. As you said, it would allow for crossing short ravines, traveling up and down steep ledges, and reaching some slightly elevated parts in dungeons that aren't otherwise accessible.
Richard Dixon

Return to V - Skyrim