Longging for the Weatherman

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:31 am

I am a big fan of Fallout 3, currently trying to like FONV. And amongst many things I'd like to see, maybe in the future ?

How comes that I spend days, weeks, months and even years (in game time) and it's the same weather pattern always all the time, just day an night?

Is it to much to include:

RAIN: Preferably radioactive-acid rain (Big Miss on FO3 since every pond and wather source is irradiated)

LIGHTNING/THUNDERSTORM: Could been awesome for FONV for that dessert ambiance (no rain, tough)

WIND: Some random sandstorms, besides the ones scriptted at a certain place at fixed time.

MAGNETIC DEAD PONITS: Some areas where the compass gets crazy, having to relay on terrain for orientation.

These are some ideas that I think could make an already amazing immersive experience even more addictive. The whole idea of some messed up wheather in a 200 years old post-apocaliptic world could improve, if that's possible, on a game that gives an experience like no other out there, no matter how good the graphics are
because the truth is Fallout series is the Only One that allows the player to feel part of a deep adventure and exploration of the world that coul be.
Jimmie Allen

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:04 am

I am going to go with game engine can't have weather but there are sand storms in some areas. Also its a desert so there would be little rain. FO3 has those radioactive puddles because Beth went for "get war happened 10 years ago" feel. Great war happened 200 plus years ago. Radiation would not be that bad.
Robert Devlin

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:35 am

I hear thunder all the time when I come out of the NCR Safe House. I'm not positive on this but I think I remember seeing fog all around Lake Mead early one morning. Maybe someone else saw that too?
Alex Blacke

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 am

I'm gonna agree with Styles and second that the game engine probably can't handle that.
des lynam

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am

I hear thunder every time im around black mountain and that would explain why kicenna heres it by the NCR safe house, its really close. And I want to say that I did see fog at lake mead but im not sure. :shrug:
Marnesia Steele

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:11 am

Oblivion had rain
Carolyne Bolt

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 am

The Blackmountain thunder noise was a nice background, but it didn't quite fill the gap for atmosphere effects. On that note I think taht the game engine would been able to manage a little darkness at least around the mountain range, some thick clouds or fog, to complement the thunder (still missing the flashligtnig).

Haven't seen the fog on Lake Meadow, already been on that area for several days.

The concept isn't new (weather effects), I just belive that being almost another world after a 200 year nuked planet some meteorologic shifts could been triggered.

Finally I agree, the current game engines may not be able to handle the addition of weather stuff to what's already there.

But had to ask myself if others games can do it (GTA, RDR) maybe there is a way to include it in the future, with the opportunity of twistenig it enough to make it unique.
Adam Porter

Post » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Oblivion had rain

omg does Oblivion have rain. If I was a player who didn't go out in the rain, I'd never be able to go out.

I'm fine without weather in FNV if it helps the game. This one's about the stories for me. Skyrim will have a new engine and I expect that the next Fallout will too. :)
Horror- Puppe

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Oblivion and rain works, a world where we have basically no atmosphere or O-Zone or w/e the layer that creates condensation exists anymore, I would it off putting.
Jade Muggeridge

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am

PC users can download the "Nevada Skies" od which adds rain, sandstorms, radstorms, as well as different fine weather patterns- different cloud formations and stuff like that. Also makes nights darker and gets rid of that horrible reddish tint. I highly recommend it for PC users- it is still BETA however.

I agree, when I first started playing Fallout 3 I wondered why on earth it never rained. I mean, you're activating a water purifier for goodness sake! If it hadn't rained for 200 years there would be hardly any water to purify, if any at all!
Everardo Montano

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 pm

PC users can download the "Nevada Skies" od which adds rain, sandstorms, radstorms, as well as different fine weather patterns- different cloud formations and stuff like that. Also makes nights darker and gets rid of that horrible reddish tint. I highly recommend it for PC users- it is still BETA however.

I agree, when I first started playing Fallout 3 I wondered why on earth it never rained. I mean, you're activating a water purifier for goodness sake! If it hadn't rained for 200 years there would be hardly any water to purify, if any at all!

I thought Nevada Skies was still a WIP.
Joey Avelar

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 am

New engine = different game.
Erich Lendermon

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 am

I am going to go with game engine can't have weather but there are sand storms in some areas. Also its a desert so there would be little rain. FO3 has those radioactive puddles because Beth went for "get war happened 10 years ago" feel. Great war happened 200 plus years ago. Radiation would not be that bad.

It's the same engine as Oblivion and that had weather, one of the game features that actually worked right

but remember: we're in the DESERT. Not gonna be much rain
Matt Gammond

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:38 am

RAIN: Preferably radioactive-acid rain (Big Miss on FO3 since every pond and wather source is irradiated)

The water is still radioactive because there is still fallout in it, even though after 200 years there wouldn't be, so the rain wouldn't be radioactive, even if there was fallout in the water, because fallout doesn't evaporate.

please correct me if I'm wrong.
Nadia Nad

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 pm

I thought Nevada Skies was still a WIP.

Nupe, beta :)

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35998

I had to get rid of it due to constant sandstorms, even after disabling them in the cheatmenu <_<
It was very fun while it worked properly though.
Alexis Acevedo

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 am

The water is still radioactive because there is still fallout in it, even though after 200 years there wouldn't be, so the rain wouldn't be radioactive, even if there was fallout in the water, because fallout doesn't evaporate.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Radiation takes a VERY, VERY long time to dissipate, almost every child after 200 years would be horribly disfigured, and just as many people would be dieing of Radiation sickness. Radiation from nuclear bombs takes thousands of years to dissipate.
Lew.p

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:17 am

Id rather have obsidian work on the game then weather.
Samantha hulme

Return to Fallout: New Vegas