Sniper perk worth it? Opinions please.

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:23 pm

I pretty get the same hit chance on VATS with the Sniper perk as I do with my rifles with the Commando perk. Only advantage with the sniper rifle is that there's a silencer available for it while most of the rifles don't. I currently carry the brush gun and it's as powerful than the sniper rife. The strongest sniper rifle, however, is the anti-material rifle, which has 100+ DAM but DPS is 49(?) and ammo used for it, the .50 MG, is pretty hard to find, according to Fallout wiki. There are very few topics about this when I googled so I decided to post here and see if you've used this perk and found it useful. Should I get the Sniper perk or something else?

I'm a sneak character using both Gun and Melee for close range. If Sniper is a no-go, then I'll get the Purifier perk.
ezra

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm

I pretty get the same hit chance on VATS with the Sniper perk as I do with my rifles with the Commando perk. Only advantage with the sniper rifle is that there's a silencer available for it while most of the rifles don't. I currently carry the brush gun and it's as powerful than the sniper rife. The strongest sniper rifle, however, is the anti-material rifle, which has 100+ DAM but DPS is 49(?) and ammo used for it, the .50 MG, is pretty hard to find, according to Fallout wiki. There are very few topics about this when I googled so I decided to post here and see if you've used this perk and found it useful. Should I get the Sniper perk or something else?

I'm a sneak character using both Gun and Melee for close range. If Sniper is a no-go, then I'll get the Purifier perk.

It's not worth it IMO, most of the time I have a 95% chance in vats anyways so, no.
Harry-James Payne

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:59 pm

I won't bother with the Sniper Perk in New Vegas. This game is FPS, VATS took it in the shorts. I can scope kill with a sniper rifle at far greater ranges than with VATS. Use a scope and forget Sniper Perk In FO3 the Sniper Perk was well worth it.
Daddy Cool!

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Sniper and Commando effectively do the same thing a 25% increase to hit in vats. Commando requires rifles while sniper requires your targeting the head. Which means by themselves commando is probably superior if you use rifles almost exclusively.

At close range neither perk is that useful as the hit chance will probably be 95% anyway.
Stacyia

Post » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:40 am

I only use VATS when i'm close in and/or have multiple targets.....I do most of my killing free-aiming with a scoped rifle from as far away as possible. VATS doesn't work all that great for me in NV.
Marcia Renton

Post » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 am

Give us the real Sniper perk plz. Thank you.
Naomi Ward

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

I avoid anything that gives you bonuses in V.A.T.S. mainly because I only use V.A.T.S. solely for target acquisition purposes only. If its too far out of range to identify with the binoculars or a sniper scope it gets V.A.T.S., then once I can confirm it's hostile I go back to my iron sights and steady. Its actually very rare I use V.A.T.S. during combat and that is only when I need to take down multiple targets within close proximity of myself or companions. Which is also quite rare since most of the fighting I do is at distance.

So, IMO they are useless.
Brittany Abner

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Do use VATS at medium range, since VATS in unreliable at long ranges now? If so, then yes. Do you have any other "VATS perks"?
Liv Staff

Post » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:50 am

Its all up to you and how you play. If you use VATS and always go for head shots, then its awesome. However, it won't help you if you free aim (no VATS) or aim for other body parts while using VATS. I for one think its great. As far as rifles, the Verment w/ extended clip, sight, and silencer or even the sniper rifle w/ carbon fiber parts and silencer are perfect for it or just owning everything all together. Sorry this post is all fudged, I'm posting from my droid.
Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 am

I find it odd, for VATS shots any boost to your chances can be great at max range but with scoped weapons in real time it seems like if your cross hairs are on target it's going to be a hit. With steady there's even less reason to go sniper perk too.

Also some targets you can't target with VATS you can still hit in real time...
sam

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Not certain I'm going to take it either, been using a sneak/guns/melee char also also. Free aim at long/med range, vats at short range - chance to hit is high anyway. Haven't taken commando or gunslinger on the char yet, probably won't.

I took the cowboy perk since I had enough in melee skills anyway, and enjoy using the associated weapons (and switch weapons allot also).
Alyesha Neufeld

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 pm

Sniper and commando are good IF your into using vats for everything. Otherwise you tend to snipe from such a distance vats doesnt work anyway.
Naughty not Nice

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:33 pm

Its better to think of the sniper perk as "Head Shot" you don't use it for sniping you use it to make head shots instead of torso shots.
Tessa Mullins

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 pm

VATS only perks tend not to be worth, IMO, but take it for RP purposes if you want.
Antony Holdsworth

Return to Fallout: New Vegas