FO3 bigger then FO NV?

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:08 pm

I am talking about the percieved (?) land area.
Walking from Rivetcity to Republic of dave just seemed farther then Nipton- North Vegas.
Or is it the mountains playing tricks on me?

Note this doesnt mean I prefer FO3 vs NV, just wonder.

BTW anyone know if Oblivion was bigger or then these two?
Prohibited

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 pm

i would say that Oblivion is smaller bc the bottom of the map wasnt that big but there was alot of woods tho but it could be close i really cant say what map is bigger but i like FO3 map better for some reason
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:01 am

Complete world-size? Yes. (Including interior and exterior cells)
Silvia Gil

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:07 am

Oblivions map is larger then Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Fallout 3's map to me seems like its bigger but I think their both the same size.
Bigze Stacks

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:32 am

Walking from Rivetcity to Republic of dave just seemed farther then Nipton- North Vegas.
Or is it the mountains playing tricks on me?

I thought it was mentioned that the main map is a bit larger in NV, but total area is larger in FO3.

Though for FO3 you often need to take a less direct approach. Considering DC ruins and the Potomac and NV being a bit emptier.
Bek Rideout

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that I saw a side by side comparison stating that the world was larger in FO3, but there are more Points Of Interest in FONV. Basically it is smaller and more compressed. I got the impression that people didn't like the emptiness of FO3 (not to say that I agree with them). In my opinion I believe the "emptiness" of FO3 was intentional to give you that wasteland feel, and helped solidify the atmosphere of the game in general.
Brittany Abner

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:53 pm

FONV has a lot more going on then FO3 did in a slightly bigger space. Also yes Oblivion was much larger than both games, would go as far and say twice as big once you add shivering isles. Of course Oblivion was even more of a wasteland if you think about it, with the main thing you'd see between cities being generic dungeons.
priscillaaa

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Or is it the mountains playing tricks on me? Note this doesn't mean I prefer FO3 vs NV, just wonder.
BTW anyone know if Oblivion was bigger or then these two?

Relative to what?

Grid for grid FO3 is 17 x 17 and FONV is 19 x 19. That's assuming the grid size is the same (Since it's the same engine that's a likely assumption.

But when you consider interior cells it becomes very difficult to compare.

My spreadsheet shows 176 named locations for FO3. I don't have one yet for FONV. also remember that a lot of these locations are mere waypoints with nothing to explore.

Oblivion is a whole different kettle of fish. I tossed all my reference data as I probably won't be going back to that when the new one comes out.
The Time Car

Post » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:55 pm

morrowind with tamriel rebuilt and silgrad tower mods > all.
Marquis T

Return to Fallout: New Vegas