Review of Fallout New Vegas relative to Fallout 3

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:13 pm

NV gives you it's meat and potatoes in its questing, FO3 gave you it in its world and atmosphere. Both games play the same, so no comment on gameplay. Combined they would make an awesome game.

Both games deserve high praise for what they did do right. :)

:thumbsup:

Actually combat is vastly different: FO3 is full of bullet sponges and govern by VATS; while NV have lend toward on real time combat and mutant creatures are dangerous.
For me the difference is in the side quests. F3 side quests were epic adventures involving combat/exploration and a choice of numerous resolutions. In contrast FNV side quests are often repetitive fetch/courier quests mainly created for the purpose of increasing faction reputation. Sure, I can see how this is necessary as I can't see any obvious other way of modifying your standing within a faction. However, your days as a courier aren't over when the game starts, in fact they are only just beginning.

One thing is clear, though - both games were obviously created with a great deal of devotion and love. This shines through in every way possible.

I cannot name any "epic" side quest in FO3, nor I feel they are adventures or exploratory (both quest resolution or dungeon crawling). While with NV you can turn a lot of quest against the guest giver, take bribes, approach the same problem with different skill sets and lasting effects.

I mean, where the hell in DC offer you a quest as amazing as "Beyond the Beef"?
Genocidal Cry

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Engaging story of fallout 3?

We obviously have played different games.

LOL.

Not another one of these flippin threads. Not going to bother reading on. I already know the drill "ZOMG where's the breath taking scenery, not enough loot, I wanna EXPLORE metros!!!!, all these dialogue choices make my head hurt, ZOMG why are the deathclaws so meeeeeaaaaaaan".

Yeah, I'm out.
Kill Bill

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:46 am

-The bugs are a result of the outdated, eight year old game engine that Bethesda has been using since Morrowind. Also the reason some NPCs attack your companions is because you have food in their inventories. The NPC senses the food and goes after it. "That floating robot has food with it, and it's a robot, it doesn't need food!"

-The factions are supposed to be grey & grey morality, not good vs evil. You have to stop and think, "You know, Caesar makes some convincing arguments." or "The NCR really isn't fit to control this land, so maybe they shouldn't have it."

-The reason there isn't much information about the world is because we've already learned it in Fallout 1 & 2.

-The internal faction politics were better then the long quests of 3, and peacfully resolving a situation feels more heroic and exciting to me, because nobody had to die.

-The game ends after the main quest because your big decisions would be meaningless, and Obsidian would have to overhaul every area 4 different ways, for each MQ path.

-Fo3 guide and NV guide, just use http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki, the Fallout wiki. Maps, updated quest information, statistics for every weapon, armour, and any other object for each Fallout game.

-For the main quest of Fo3 vs New Vegas, I've completed the MQ of 3 about three or four times. I got Fallout 3 on 12 March, 2009.

I have completed New Vegas' main quest three times, and I'm currently on a fourth. I got New Vegas the day it came out.

-Now, you are right that New Vegas is buggier then Fallout 1, and the story of Fallout 1 was more engaging because it was to save your home, Vault 13, instead of deciding the future of Vegas.
Smokey

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:06 pm

LOL.

Not another one of these flippin threads. Not going to bother reading on. I already know the drill "ZOMG where's the breath taking scenery, not enough loot, I wanna EXPLORE metros!!!!, all these dialogue choices make my head hurt, ZOMG why are the deathclaws so meeeeeaaaaaaan".

Yeah, I'm out.

At least I made someone laugh.
Connie Thomas

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Fission Mailed

Emit
Continent
Gill Mackin

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Fallout 3 was excellent fair play, and so is New Vegas, but there have been dramatic changes i.e. you now can't use food to increase your health permanently, and stimpaks are more expensive etc.
I think with New Vegas you're more inclined to use your head more, and think about what you're going to do before proceeding somewhere. Whereas with Fallout 3 you had less worry about that happening, however I find that New Vegas is much more interesting, and in a way more realistic compared to Fallout 3.
I kinda miss the fact that Talon Company could be just around the corner or Enclave ambushing you, instead it's a horde of nightstalkers or geckos. :(
Nadia Nad

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 am

First time I ran through NV I took the sneaky sniper route and it took a long time.... this time I am doing fast shot energy weapons and with meltdown, well lets just say there are some big, bright explosions goin' on.

EDIT: oh ya, The back story of the area is told through dialogue primarily, but there are many tidbits out there for the thorough scrounger. FO3 you could NOT miss the tidbits because they were all crammed into the pockets of content.
Jason Rice

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas