The possible inconvinient Truth about Crysis 2 (If)

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Has anyone figured out if Crytek or EA plan to make this amazing game a "permanent internet connection is required" sorta game. Don't get me wrong when I mean I don't want to have constant internet when I play this game, but how can it help us play (especially those who cant get internet and save a huge amount of money just to play this game). Where as games like these always leave you irritated when the connection is lost or when you still have un-finished business that needs to be addressed and it wont be saved. Are they really trying to protect the game from piracy, by making us gamers suffer for it. The so-called pirates are just gonna hack it anyway by contacting an insider in any of the two companies, and "boom" its xmas for the cheaters, who don't save/earn any cold-hard cash or really appreciate this game.

Pls if they were reading this, try to make this game piracy free with any other method of authentication than the doomed "Persistent/Permanent internet connection required to play this game" thing, I've seen some gamers just throw away the whole game with the manual
Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't think they would do that. It is Ubisoft that where dumb enough to try this. I think they and other companies have learned from that
Kevan Olson

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:03 am

It would be a big mistake by EA.

But isn't Crytek on the EA Partners program? I thought only games that were made by EA themselves would have this online DRM?

I can assume Crytek would use a better DRM than what's shown by EA.
Andrew Perry

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:01 pm

I have to agree it is a royal pian in the butt when a permenant connection is required, such is the case with a recent purchase of mine,
"Splinter Cell Conviction"
Ubisoft,
of course, it had to be, its just dumb considering it is for the most part single play, with added co-op and the like. its a fact that pirates find a way around most anti cheats and yes its bad for us loyal gamers, but please find a way around it other than the above, :D
Sarah Kim

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:17 am

I do not think this will happen. Drm failed. Piracy still found a loop hole. I pirate games from time to time. To get an "extended demo" before I make
my purchase hehe.
cutiecute

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:03 am

Steam is the best DRM imo :)
JD FROM HELL

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 am

[quote]Steam is the best DRM imo :)[/quote]
Yeah, steam is the best. And if they screw up, Valve gives you free stuff!
*Hint, hint
Cameron Wood

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 am

^ 2 free copies of L4D2. One for you and one as a gift for a friend. Sneaky marketing scheme for a nearly dead game? :P

on topic: I doubt EA or Crytek would do something like that. It's inconvenient for paying customers and the server demands are too much.

Heh. I'm not ashamed to admit that I got an offline server for my retail copy of AC2. Couldn't connect to the official servers to play singleplayer? A hearty "screw you" + alternate methods = play. When the piracy protection makes it more difficult for the paying customer, they usually get a pirated copy so they can play the game they bought.

I don't encourage piracy at all, but devs...make your **** work so we don't have to turn to "other" methods.
^_^

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 am

[quote]Steam is the best DRM imo :)[/quote]
Steam got cracked just as any other game plattform.
Connie Thomas

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:51 pm

An always internet online connection is a terrible short term solution to a long lasting problem. It just gets cracked anyway and then the PAYING customers are forced to pirate because their retail version doesnt work.

However, Crytek used SecuROM for Crysis Warhead and they were generally mispleased with it, distributed a revoke tool or something. I doubt much DRM will be used in Crysis 2, other than the CD Key. :D
Claudia Cook

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:58 am

[quote]An always internet online connection is a terrible short term solution to a long lasting problem. It just gets cracked anyway and then the PAYING customers are forced to pirate because their retail version doesnt work.

However, Crytek used SecuROM for Crysis Warhead and they were generally mispleased with it, distributed a revoke tool or something. I doubt much DRM will be used in Crysis 2, other than the CD Key. :D[/quote]
I wish they were reading your post man!!!
Aman Bhattal

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:38 am

In my personal opinion, i think a great way of doing it is to use a disc check method for retail DVD copies but after 6-12 months of release, remove the disc check in a patch, like what EA did for BF2 1.5 patch.

By that stage, people's discs are being worn out and the hassle of having to have the disc in the drive would no longer be burdened by trying to fight piracy as the initial 'wave' of piracy upon release would be passed.

Trying to fight piracy is a fruitless exercise. Making paying customers suffer for it whilst the pirates have issue-free gaming is just ludicrous.
CORY

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:25 am

I was given a copy of Assassin's Creed 2. The online feature was a pain in the *ss, and a part of the game was missing, but avaiable as a €-DLC-€. Fortunately, I downloaded the same game by other ways, and I was able to play the full game anywhere without internet connection.

It's ridiculous how some companies like Ubisoft tries to protect their games, not to mention the fact that they remove parts of a game to sell it later as a €-DLC-€.

Hope that EA won't do the same.
jesse villaneda

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Lets all just hope for something better than that permanent internet connection idea.
Sarah Bishop

Return to Crysis