Confirm Sniper's Nest Secure?

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Can anyone tell me with any certianity that http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Sniper%27s_nest is a secure location for setting up a safehose/storage location?

I'm liking the idea of making a outdoor save location, with a view.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:17 pm

I think the chest with the weapon is safe if you have a high enough Lockpick skill. What you could do is save then store an item wait 24 hours and see if it vanishes then if it doesn't then load that save put the item in the container then fast travel to say Novac wait 24 hours then head back and if the item is still there then its safe to use.
Lucie H

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:40 pm

I think the chest with the weapon is safe if you have a high enough Lockpick skill. What you could do is save then store an item wait 24 hours and see if it vanishes then if it doesn't then load that save put the item in the container then fast travel to say Novac wait 24 hours then head back and if the item is still there then its safe to use.

You might want to wait 72+ hours. Doesn't the game reset cells every 3 game days? [stares with a quizzical, head tilted to the side like a confused dog look at the GECK icon on my desktop. What is this strange mystical object? If only I had the power to unlock it's wonders............]

-Gunny out.
Prohibited

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Yes it's safe (all the containers there). I tend to store all my cooking supplies there due to the handy campfire, and it's been safe for weeks.

To be honest I've yet to find storage in an area marked on the map that isn't safe.
Markie Mark

Post » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:53 am

Generally speaking, in most locations you come to the first time if the containers are empty to start, you may need to worry about a single respawn of that container down the road. Most containers that have items in them to start are safe once you empty them - ammo boxes, safes, footlockers, and sunset sasparilla crates do not respawn for certain. The only thing to keep in mind, if you set up near any NPCs living in the area, they may raid your food stocks while you are gone (or even right in front of you).
Danel

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Looked in GECK - None of the boxes in the Sniper's Nest are set to respawn.
edit: I haven't looked at every single container/taken notes but it's pretty clear most containers in the game are non-respawning. Hasn't anyone on wiki made a note on this yet? heh
Verity Hurding

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:57 pm

To be honest I've yet to find storage in an area marked on the map that isn't safe.

Heh, yeah, if you look in the GECK the container list often http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/28/norespawn1.jpg Lots and lots of "no's." :)

I don't profess to be a GECK expert, but while there are some containers set to respawn, I believe 99.99 of those are non-accessible hidden containers for merchants and script-calling. Also, many in the list marked to respawn have no users or world count - from what I understand they could still be called upon via scripts, but wouldn't be player-accessible so no concern for player storage. There may be a few like fridges in a couple safehouses or maybe some Legion supply caches (quest related?) that do have 1 world count, that are set to respawn, but I don't have a 3rd party program to easily sift through those to see if they're actually placed in player-accessible locations...and am too lazy to load every interior/exterior cell to hunt for specific containers in the cell-view lists to see if they are placed in the world.
Anna Watts

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:44 pm

About the only containers I wouldn't use for storage are mailboxes and trash cans, since they can respawn after being cleaned out. The Mojave Express boxes are safe, since they only lose items if you remove them, however I do not recommend them for long-term storage as you have to take the entire contents out at once to get at anything inside and that can get really unwieldy.

I checked a random sampling of mailboxes and trash cans in the GECK, and they are set to not respawn but for whatever reason can do so anyway. It should not happen more than a couple of times for any given one, but I still wouldn't risk it when there are so many metal boxes that are guaranteed safe.
Luis Reyma

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Ohhh, good point about the mailboxes. I'd forgotten about those, since for myself, I'd never consider using them as a 'storage house' type option. But I've also seen them repopulate themselves now and then. At first I thought maybe they were just ones I'd missed, but no...they do very occasionally seem to refill. Makes sense in terms of the game, they're getting mail, right? heh.

It's curious that they have the no respawn and no noted associated script...I guess there's some other magical scripting/code the GECK lists doesn't make note of, for those. Perhaps in some odd way they're not considered the same type of container as things like chests and desks. Who knows. :)
Meghan Terry

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:37 pm

Ohhh, good point about the mailboxes. I'd forgotten about those, since for myself, I'd never consider using them as a 'storage house' type option. But I've also seen them repopulate themselves now and then. At first I thought maybe they were just ones I'd missed, but no...they do very occasionally seem to refill. Makes sense in terms of the game, they're getting mail, right? heh.

It's curious that they have the no respawn and no noted associated script...I guess there's some other magical scripting/code the GECK lists doesn't make note of, for those. Perhaps in some odd way they're not considered the same type of container as things like chests and desks. Who knows. :)

If you check an individual mailbox entry you will see it has a 5% chance of having a magazine in it when you 'spawn' an area by entering it. Since they are marked to not respawn this is presumably for the first time you enter a given location, however it would appear there is a glitch in the code somewhere that checks against that chance each time you enter that location, subject to the respawn timer. I did not look closely at the trash can entries, I will check one and see if they also have a chance of an item listed.

EDIT: I examined a few trash can entries and saw that they have two leveled lists to draw from that each have a 15% chance to occur, so the aforementioned glitch may be happening with them as well. Now, the vast majority of trash cans are indoors and interiors generally do not respawn, so there may be another mechanic at work here. I did not attempt a comprehensive review of all containers and their lists, since that would take weeks for one person to do and I don't have anything to check such a review against without access to the base code.
Ymani Hood

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:59 pm

While playing FO3 I remember reading somewhere not to store items in containers that I do not own. Since then usually I avoid anything marked in red (besides if you store something in those containers and then take it back counts as bad karma).

Normally I store items in dumpsters (main stashes in Goodsprings and Primm), boxes and trash cans only to retrieving them later on. Never seen anything being wiped out or dissapearing (unless NPCs are nearby).

I find the Sniper's Nest very convenient to store all the extra stuff from Cesar's Favor quest since those boxes will be renewed every three days and being so close to where it spawns for me. Never lost anything.
helliehexx

Return to Fallout: New Vegas