Less scary than Fallout 3?

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 am

Alan Wake? Hah, ever tried Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Hailed as the scariest game of 2010 and this generation of gaming.

I've never heard of it... But i've heard of Alan Wake.. :shifty:
Big Homie

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 pm

This is pretty much my only complaint. Fallout 3 wasn't really a scary game, but it had its moments of creepiness, such as

Spoiler
Vault 106, the Dunwich Building and bits of Point Lookout.

Contrast that to New Vegas, where I've never been scared once, not even slightly. Furthermore, the whole game seems to lack a vague feeling of menace and desolate desperation that 3 had, although that's probably partly due to me being so used to it, and partly because of the new, brighter setting. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

You're probably right. However, since it's Fallout and not Silent Hill I don't mind at all.

Truth be told I was NEVER scared in FO3 due to my over powered weapons and the ease with which I could dispatch the bad guys. Pack a chinese stealth suit, Harkness' plasma rifle, and a dart gun to slow down the more deadly foes and there's nothing to fear......ever.
Jonathan Montero

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:07 am

dead money is freaking creepy as heck o.O;;

when you learn that it is a bad idea to draw too much attention because they are actually pretty much EVERYWHERE, under the wood-work, under the pavement, in crawlspaces, enough to flood the street.
also, when you enter the sierra madre (the building), you can hear them turning the door back and forth quickly (since its locked), and bashing/hitting/beating against the door, trying to get into to kill you,
THAT made me shiver a bit
Killah Bee

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:51 pm

even though the enemies were easier on fallout 3 it had more of a survival horror quality to it.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:51 pm

I've never considered FO3 or FNV scary, but I do like to find disturbing situations.

Spoiler
For example: FNV's vault 11 ending was extremely disturbing to me. Very well written w/ a lot of character and plot development, and then when you think the ending is nothing more than a big fight, a little exploration (if you survive) reveals the real backstory and ties everything together perfectly. It actually made my skin crawl.

Roddy

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Alright, keep in mind I haven't thoroughly read every post. I get your point and what you mean. More specifically, the atmosphere of the two games. In all honesty Bethesda achieved something with Fallout 3 I'm not sure anyone will attempt to emulate in the future. And thats the pure bleakness and despair of the whole world they crafted. Its not scary but more so unnerving. The things Fallout 3 depicted or the world itself, the music, and the atmosphere, it all created a mood that didn't make you sad but somehow couldn't help but make you feel drained at how bleak the Capital Wasteland was and would continue to be for some time. It was something Black Isle didn't (And couldn't in the late 90s, or maybe even want to) achieve with Fallout 1 or 2. Which is surprising, for people you consider "nerds" many Fallout fans do love good humor and found Fallout 3 too bleak as well.

And because of this and geographical reasons Fallout New Vegas is different because first Obsidian needed to establish a different mood to differentiate the game from Bethesda's 3, so it didn't seem like a meaningless side story or just an expansion pack just because it wasn't Fallout 4. Plus the west coast, and as Mr. House explained Vegas, wasn't as badly ravaged by nuclear warheads as the east coast which isn't surprising because D.C. is a more high priority target(Or in realistic terms, there should of been barely anything left standing in 3. Wouldn't of made for a good game though, and Fallout in general is far from realistic at times.)

Plus unlike the east coast, or D.C. anyways, the west is slowly starting to recover and even more the NCR states and whatever Caesar's established. So basically that's why New Vegas is different from Fallout 3 and why it doesn't convey the soul-svcking bleak mood of the later.
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Pikmin is scary as [censored]. O_o

That Waterwraith was no [censored] joke.
Chavala

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Alright, keep in mind I haven't thoroughly read every post. I get your point and what you mean. More specifically, the atmosphere of the two games. In all honesty Bethesda achieved something with Fallout 3 I'm not sure anyone will attempt to emulate in the future. And thats the pure bleakness and despair of the whole world they crafted. Its not scary but more so unnerving. The things Fallout 3 depicted or the world itself, the music, and the atmosphere, it all created a mood that didn't make you sad but somehow couldn't help but make you feel drained at how bleak the Capital Wasteland was and would continue to be for some time. It was something Black Isle didn't (And couldn't in the late 90s, or maybe even want to) achieve with Fallout 1 or 2. Which is surprising, for people you consider "nerds" many Fallout fans do love good humor and found Fallout 3 too bleak as well.

And because of this and geographical reasons Fallout New Vegas is different because first Obsidian needed to establish a different mood to differentiate the game from Bethesda's 3, so it didn't seem like a meaningless side story or just an expansion pack just because it wasn't Fallout 4. Plus the west coast, and as Mr. House explained Vegas, wasn't as badly ravaged by nuclear warheads as the east coast which isn't surprising because D.C. is a more high priority target(Or in realistic terms, there should of been barely anything left standing in 3. Wouldn't of made for a good game though, and Fallout in general is far from realistic at times.)

Plus unlike the east coast, or D.C. anyways, the west is slowly starting to recover and even more the NCR states and whatever Caesar's established. So basically that's why New Vegas is different from Fallout 3 and why it doesn't convey the soul-svcking bleak mood of the later.

Good post.
Mrs Pooh

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:56 pm

If you want creepiness, go to your ini file and change setessential=0 to 1
Dean Ashcroft

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas