Caravan card game rant

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 pm

OK this is likely an oft-posted screed but last night I finally decided to start to work on the Caravan achievements, and was completely bamboozled by the rules, format, and keyboard/mouse commands for the Caravan minigame. Granted the few real-life beers didn't help, but I was getting extremely incensed at how little explanation was offered in-game and in the manual on how this game actually fricking works, from a strategy standpoint. The A.I. was making card plays and counter-plays that I could not possibly follow. Thanking God for Google, YouTube, and Wikia, I was able to piece together a clumsy understanding of what was going on, but my chief gripe was how Obsidian chose not to put together some kind of in-game tutorial, which *even* could have been made part of a quest, like as a reward! I mean, they took all the time to make this beautifully-presented minigame, why make it virtually impossible for the player to learn unless they could scour the internet for help? Fail.
Sakura Haruno

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:15 pm

Yeah, they dont explain face cards or overburdening you opposition at all, just what it is about, no strategies or tricks, you have to learn by losing a lot.
Carlos Rojas

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:28 pm

For the first few games I played, I made sure to have my tutorial card from the collectors' edition deck handy. After a while, you get the hang of it.
Mariaa EM.

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Completely agree with morty, it's a ridiculously complex game with a stupid interface.
Felix Walde

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Completely agree with morty, it's a ridiculously complex game with a stupid interface.

I'm not sure I would call it complex, but its certainly not intuitive and the rules were written by a third grader who has never played the game. Once i figured it out its pretty easy to win even w/o customizing your deck.
Laura Hicks

Return to Fallout: New Vegas