Can they even do it?

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Interpaly has until 2011 to complete this right? If so that only gives them two years. That isn't enough time to make an even half decent MMO. All Im saying is that lets hope they can complete it on time.
lillian luna

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 pm

From my understanding, they will not start this from scratch. They will be using the Earthrise engine. Earthrise is pretty much done and set to release this year. That gives the V13 team 1 year to finish whats already in production.

My guess? Winter 2010.
Eve Booker

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 pm

Interpaly has until 2011 to complete this right?

No, 2013, as far as I know. They had to start development by 2009 (which they did) and complete the game 4 years after that. The Vault - Fallout Wiki * Fallout Online * Fallout IRC Channel * Fallout: New Vegas
Alexandra walker

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 pm

No, 2013, as far as I know. They had to start development by 2009 (which they did) and complete the game 4 years after that.

Like the previous stated... I got the same impression that they have to develope it within 4 years from this point forward. So no, we wont see the game in 2010 or 2011. At least what I know about this issue. Though don't know if they have changed? Anyone? Chris, maybe? ;)

Enlighten us, please.

-Askenas

ps. Though yeah I don't know how much they have time or w/e? I'm willing to wait if it's takes 3-4 years well so be it. :)
Nathan Risch

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 pm

Developement started in 2007 as the the article reports. They have enough time. They also benefit form an engine that will have the bugs worked out durring developement.

Unless Earthrise fails FOOL will make it and probably be a good game.
aisha jamil

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:20 pm

I would be extremely surprised if they release the game in January 2010.

No game I have ever beta tested or played was officially released on its first scheduled date. And we do not want them to rush the game, do we? Rushed games or forced deployments = lots of bugs and low quality content. However, they can not over develop making the game obsolete except maybe for the cultists.
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:34 pm

given what passes for "retail worthy" these days, it will be on time and then receive a flood of "adjustments".

just look at NWN2, that thing was unplayable when it was released but now it works pretty good .... for what it is. client updates will never make a dull game fun, but i digress.

yes they can do it, remember this isn't a slap stick operation here: this is gamesas.

they do know what they are doing despite the problems they have had, the engine is pre built, the franchise is well established and fresh from the fallout3 buzz. as long as they get the core design right it doesn't matter if the don't have shit for content and it ships with only 1 map and no character generator, all that can be added later.

as long as the frame work is in place, this bird will fly.

*pulls out pompoms and a cheerleader out fit with "gamesas" written across the chest*

you can do it! go gamesas go! hay, "OC" ..... i got something for ya right here! _|_ (^.^) _|_

"MMO-RPG" = "Mass Market Oriented - Repetitive Profit Genera"
- damned things still svcked me in ...
Mr.Broom30

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:35 pm

Is it confirmed that they are using the Earthrise engine? It is a recent merger and while I wouldn't complain if they spent two years designing the game without doing any building, it seems unlikely. While they could switch to the Earthrise engine and get the game built in the two years left, they probably already have the beginnings started on another engine. They have a hard deadline so they could easily release the game with less content than they originally planned for release if they work for it or release it in a buggy state (like hoards of games including Beth's Fallout 3), all assuming that there is no contractual obligation for Bethesda to have to give the go ahead to put it to market (ie assuming Bethesda can't hold it from release long enough). MMOs all add content after release anyways so it's not a huge deal.
Eileen Müller

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 pm

True, but there's a difference between updates for extra content and updates to make the game work. If the game doesn't run on the day of its release people won't care what it will be like in two years time; they'll have had a bad experience and might be put off of it for good.

I'm pretty sure it was stated work began in spring 2007. The agreement was £30 million by spring 2009 and the game must be finished by spring 2011 (where "spring" means April, but I'm not definitely sure on that). That means they've got two years left, so it is likely that they may be using the Earthrise engine if they haven't been working on the engine for the last two years.

I'm pretty sure they can do it; I'm not entirely sure they can do it pretty well within the time limit. Then again, this is gamesas. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Queen

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am

from the press release its not a merger.

the game design is being done in house, but gamesas is farming out the game construction to the guys who are doing earthrise. it said something about using mastheads proprietary engine with bethsofts world construction tools. WTF that means i don't know ( i just read the article on game spot ) but it sounds like for contractual reasons they had to drop bethsofts name when talking about anything fallout.

so gamesas tells them what to do and masthead does it then the game ships. i would bet that before too long gamesas starts up a server farm and plays producer to the international hosting of earthrise while masthead runs the euro version. then when fallout: on line launches masthead gets the euro market while gamesas hosts everything else.

not a bad way to snowball funds into getting gamesas back on its feet. i was wondering WTF gamesas was thinking selling fallout3 to bethsoft. but if this works out as it looks planed it might just get gamesas back on its feet.

err ... i just read the press release on this site and it looks a bit different from what gamespot was saying. this one didn't Say it was a fallout mmo even tho gamesas has announced it. so i would guess that shit in gamespot about using bethsofts tools is probably some horse shit by a editor.

( BTW i fvcking hate fallout3 just as much as i hated oblivion, but i loved morrowind and daggerfall. i feel beth isn't the same company anymore and thats part of my "strong" feeling about F3 and oblivion) hay, "OC" ..... i got something for ya right here! _|_ (^.^) _|_

"MMO-RPG" = "Mass Market Oriented - Repetitive Profit Genera"
- damned things still svcked me in ...
helen buchan

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 pm

You answered yourself there.

In any case, I'm sure that V13 can be finished before the "due date." With Masthead in this joint, creation should be a lot faster and smoother.
Cat

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Here is what I believe Masthead will provide - extra coders and the data center facilities or servers. The data center is a huge cost. If gamesas can leverage data center space with Masthead, they can operate and earn money until gamesas has enough money. Then they can purchase their own dc or space at the end of the Masthead contract or renegotiate - one of the two.

Of course all speculation and only the people at gamesas know the full details.
Neil

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 pm

Well in the mean time, I'll just sit back, relax, and enjoy a Nuka Cola, er, I mean Coca Cola.
Annika Marziniak

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am

Don't forget guys, they can also release it as just segments as expansions.

Essentially all gamesas has to do is put it's best foot out, and we can help it walk along the rest of the way.
Benito Martinez

Return to Othor Games