Welcome back Descent (and Interplay!)

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 am

Man, it has been a long time...

I am glad this publisher has been "re-activated" for duty. Here is really hoping that we can get some good ol Descent revived the spirit of awesome dog fights, superb smart bomb placement, and homing missile avoidance tactics. Especially since the whole H2H (head to head) gaming arena has been replaced with jumping goons, one shot deaths, and game play that requires little thought. Man, I really miss Descent.

Descent occupied a huge portion of my life for almost 6 years. Ill never forget when the original developers flew up to our LAN party in Hillsboro, OR to play me, Scoundrl, Trell, Viper, Shaka, Spud, Polcat and many many others. That was just awesome. I'll also never forget going to Thurstmaster Headquarters to crush them with their own joysticks. Also, who can forget the lovely creators of the "Purple Glove" Hal3000 and Kiln?

I am a firm believer that Descent spear headed many community game arenas, Kali anyone, and never gets the credit its due for bringing a huge mass of people together in competitive play. I believe Descent even had one of, if not the, first internet ladder system for competitive play.

I can only hope that a new release of Descent is made that builds on the fine control schemes of the original series, and gets us away from all those one shot wonder games that have polluted the online arena. I still get excited just thinking about seeing a distant dog fight in the distance and rushing in to try and take them both out and get that little shield boost. Here's hoping that we can revive this amazing franchise. Oh, and if you guys are looking for someone to help with this creation, you can count me in.

Welcome back everyone!

Chris
Demigod Primus
(West Coast PDL)
Kieren Thomson

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi Primus,

It's nice to see more of the old guard interested again. I just found this place myself. I couldn't agree more with your hopes for D4. If descent 4 is going to be successful, I don't think it can afford to copy what other games are. Instead it needs to be what descent was in its youth.

-Spleen
Danii Brown

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:18 am

Hey Christ,

I am an old timer Descent 1 and 2 player. I remember the good o'l times when I used something like a 28000 baud modem or something to play a game with another player via telephone. Yes, I remember Kali---and its still around I believe. Good ol' programs like Powwow. Palace still exists. Not sure if you used that one.

By the way, gamesas, make a Descent 4 =)
And make it rock good! Seriously.

Yours sincerely,

MN
Nicole Mark

Return to Othor Games