descent 4: New weapons brain storming!

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 pm

1 (Laser cycle): laser 1-4 / superlaser 5-6-->

Hyperlaser 7-8 (lv 1 and lv2): Similar to superlaser level6 but bigger (lv 7) and fast (lv 8)

2 (projectile weapons cycle): Vulcan/Gauss/Vauss/Mass Driver -->

Rocket launcher: this can load twenty powerfull rockets: devastation!
Grenade Laucher: this cannon launch one projectile who embeed into enemyes and then, after three second... booom! :)

3 (elettromagnetic weapons cycle): Spreadfire/Helix/Emd/microwave -->

Tesla Cannon: lighning bolt cannon, similar to the wolfenstein 3d weapon.

4 (Hot weapons cycle): Plasma/Phoenix/Napalm -->

Blizzard Cannon: A cannon with a charge of liquid azote. With this you can freeze your enemies!

5 (Nuclear/particle weapons cycle): Fusion/Omega -->

Annihilator Cannon: A particle-accelerator-antimatter cannon who shot a positron beam... extremly powerfull and expansive!!!!
Fission Cannon: not powerful like fusion but more rapid.

6 (Rocket cycle): Concussion/Flash/Frag -->

Deadly Blade: A metal disk with deadly thoots who roll in front of yout ship for close combat... but if you relase the button you can launch the disk (this bounce to walls and the you can recuper it). Whit this you can cut your enemies in two pieces!

7 (homing missiles cycle): Homing/Guided --->

Phase missile: this "yellow bands" quantum-guided missile can pass through the walls in the the first 3 second of his travel.

8 (bombs cycle): Proximity/Smart mines/ Impact Mortar --->

Gravity Forge: this "small nuclear bomb" fall down and detonate in a tremedous explosion.

9(Special/easy to use missiles cycle): Smart/Mercury/Napalm --->

Blizzard missile: easy ;)

10(powerfull/nuclear missiles): Mega/Earthshaker/Black Shark -->

Annihilator missile: An antimatter missile...... you can load ONLY ONE of this... but you can destroy an entire mine!!!!!!!

Accessories.

quad laser
esa laser: six cannons! °__° (Esa-hyperlaser lv2 is the hell!!!)
radar: easy :)
Afterburners lv1: the original afterburners
Afterburner lv2: fast and furious!!!! °___°
After burner cooler
Warp Core
Laser turrept: A turret who fire lv1 laser to the near enemy
Tower Shield: A metal shield you can open in front of ship (but you cant fire primary weapons).
Invincibility in D4 is switchable but is very energy expansive.
Invisibilityin D4 is switchable but is energy expansive.
Intangibility: U can travel into walls... missiles, and robots! in D4 is switchable but is energy expansive.
Spy bot: a small ultrarapid invisibility (switchable) bot. u can use to explore mines (like a small pyro with 1 laser lv 1 and flare with weapon)
Guide bot:
D3 Countermeasures and gunboy
headlights:
infrared: for darkness :)
Energy-shield converter:
Shield-energy converter: LOL
josie treuberg

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 am

Rocket launcher sounds like those Tempest missiles from Freespace.
Grenade launcher sounds cool. I'd up for one of those.

Isn't that just like the Omega though?

hmmm... could work. As long as it just slows the target and not a loss of control deal. Although with certain secondary combos it could be extremely deadly.

The disk from Predator is the first thing I thought of when I read this. It would have to move really slow if it could cut people in half.

Awesome idea! Would make guided missile shooting a bit quicker and easier. Maybe the user could control the phasing in and out rather than only the first 3 seconds.

Just a wee bit too powerful. Just a bit :D
I know! Maybe one could spawn when the timer for the map runs out!

I made a quick list too with some ideas.

1: Light Laser - Can fire very quickly for a short time. Quad powerup. No super laser.
1: Laser Drills - Energy based terrain deforming weapon. Heavy energy usage. Must be at close range.
2: Napalm - Can burn up incoming light missiles for short time.
2: Plasma - Can burn up light missiles on direct hit. Now fires slower than light lasers.
3: Vauss - Slight knockback on target. Light terrain damage. Can fire both guns simultaneously for a short time.
3: Mass Driver - Charges up while zoomed in for more damage. Minimal damage while not scoped. Can shoot through walls if at full charge and close enough to wall. Heavy knockback on user and target.
4: Disruptor Beam - Targets hit zones on ship to disable subsystems for a short time, very low hull/shield damage.
4: EMD Gun - Heavy shield damage, low hull damage, heavy energy usage. Slight homing ability for short time.
5: Fusion - Slow shields drain while powering up, not just when fully charged. Disables afterburners while charging up.
5: Beam cannon - Mini version of beam cannons in Freespace 2. Instant kill as close range, heavy damage at longer ranges. Very slow charge up time. Disables afterburners while charging.

6: Frag - Frag missiles take the place of concussion missiles. Less damage vs shields.
6: Mercury - Fast firing. Light damage. Can fire two missiles simultaneously
7: Homing - If target is in reticule for long enough it will lock on for better homing ability.
7: Guided - I like the phasing idea for guided missiles. Nothing else I can think of for now.
8: Impact Mortar - Can bounce off walls and roll along floors. Can be shot for earlier detonation. Can be stuck to walls and detonated manually. Heavy terrain damage.
8: EMP Bomb - Disables target's shields and other assorted things such as homing missile lock for a short time.
9: Smart - Takes some characteristics from napalm missile. Burns up any mines near the target area.
9: Cyclone - Direct hit with the main component does heavy damage. Main component hitting a wall before detonation causes huge terrain damage.
10: Mega - Causes several smaller explosions near target area. ie. Weaker version of the Earthshaker. Medium terrain damage.
10: Black Shark - Slower travel and quicker explosion than D3 version. Detonates after certain time or on impact. Any ship drawn into centre will be killed. Ships drawn in can slingshot to the other side of the centre if at the right angle. Pulls small pieces off nearby walls if shot close enough. Pulls in nearby missile pickups and they can explode as well.

Mostly the same I know, just added new features to the existing weapons. I'm also assuming a few things like separate shield and hull ratings, subsystems (a bit iffy), and deformable terrain. :D Do any of you know the tale of how cornmeal came to be?
Neither did the miller when he left his house that morning!
Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:56 am

If you see an idea in "quotes," then someone above me used that idea and I support it.

PRIMARIES!!!

1.Lasers Level 1-6. Lasers Level 7,8: "Hyperlasers"- shoots fast and travels fast (play Pyromania in a Starhawk to see what I mean) (Sorry VirtigoOne, the people who made Pyromania already took that name)

2. Vulcan, Gauss, Vauss, Mass Driver (Zoom in to charge up, and when fully charged, it can shoot through walls? I'd hate to be zooming and trying to shoot through a wall. Dizzying!)

3. I'd stick the Spread Fire, Helix, Napalm, and Blizzard Cannon in this one.

4. EMD (Please tell me that it will be way improved or replaced), Plasma, Phoenix, "Disruptor Beam."

5. Fusion (No shields drain untill overload, please! And a kickback like in D2. Made it feel special!), ORIGINAL Omega (with improved damage and no multiplayer lag problems :roll: ), "Beam Cannon" (But no instant kill at close range, people in multiplayer would get pissed!), Flack Cannon.

SECONDARIES!!!

6. Concussion missiles, Flash Missiles, Frag Missiles, "Deadly Blade."

7. Homing (no hold over target to lock on), Guided (still turns like in D3 and does the "golden 40" pts of damage ^^), Phasing Guided (does less damage), QMM(Quick Manuvering Missile) [It endlessly tracks like the guided, but has limited terrain following and doesn't turn half as hard as the Descent 3 Guided]

8. Impact Moartar, Napalm Rocket, Blizzard Missile, EMP missile.

9. Smart Missile, Cyclone (smaller missiles MUST be faster and maybe less drunk!), Mercury Missile (the one we all know and love!),

0. The Almighty Earthshaker it all it's glory, Mega Missile like in D2 (D3's was extremely wimpy), Black Shark (maybe dialed down on the suclulation), A Nuke! :P

COUNTERMEASUERES!!!

ProxBombs (need to be big like in D2 and do way more damage like in D2.
SeakerMines (Up the speed and slightly up the damage)
Chaff (WAY more efficient than D3's!)
SmartBombs!!!
Bouncing Betty (Just get rid of this and replace it with a bomb that drops with gravity or a cluster bomb.
GunBoy (Needs to be WAY MORE ACCURATE! A faster weapon! A more damaging weapon! Slightly more Hit Points. And slowly follow's you.

GUIDEBOT!!!
-Roll over powerups
-Manuel control
-Light attack mode (Uses flares and a low level laser or Hyperlaser)
-BETTER AI!
-Settable personalities (Like in the book, Descent: Stealing Thunder. Please have Sierra Taurus as a selection! ;) )

UTILITIES!!!
-Toggleable cloaking (Fast energy drain. But leave in the normal Cloaking powerup that doesn't use energy.) If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Flutterby

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm for keeping it simple. I see a lot of complex complicated items that will just contribute more to frustration than fun during internet play.

Tone down the damage... kill the trifusion (trinoob) but keep regular fusion like it is in D3. What good is it if it constantly drains shields? People hate it because they don't know how to use it correctly.

MD. Leave it alone. or if anything turn it into a beam gun with the same effect. Only cause I think it would look cooler.

Vauss leave it alone. Why would you want both guns to fire at the same time when it already fires at a high rate anyway.

No subsystem effecting weapons... Then you'd have people whoreing it just to get easy kills because they can't dogfight.

The grenade launcher? What good is this? Unless it can float, then its basically a mortar from d3.

Bring back the omega cannon from d2. But have it use a little more energy. The omega cannon from d3 was a total-fail-WTF-i-pwned-myself-with-lamenesss-weapon. I gotta wonder what the game designers were thinking on that one.

I do like the idea of being able to shoot down weapons. But not a one hit one kill deal. You'd have to hit it a few times to down it. It be great for people who chuck megas all day long... then again I know how to dodge so it'd just be more of a novelty thing than anything else.

Concs stay they way they are. I love concs!

Frags.. meh keep it or get rid of em. I don't care. Eliminate the quad pack if anything.

Definitely NOT for people shooting THROUGH walls. By doing that, you kill a large portion of the cat and mouse multiplayer play that has been a major component of all the descents.

Bring back the D2 earthshaker and bag the BlackShark. The BS is BS.

Bring back the mercury missle.

I don't like this emp bomb idea. Cause after the shields are gone you're one hit from death. A chumps weapon who can just lob one in a populated area and then chuck a frag or any other weapon that has an AOE. This would pretty much ruin CTF and team anarchy play.

Homing leave alone . It's always been a fire and forget missile. What you COULD do is have a similar missile that is faster than a homer but a bit slower than the mercury. However, the locking mechanism is much like in a fighter... you gotta keep the target in the little floating box long enough to get the lock. Didn't a Freespace or perhaps starlancer have something like that?

Mortar is cool like it is. One change could be the ability to hold the trigger down to shorten the time between launch and detonation... BUT DON'T HOLD IT TOO LONG!! Of course if you want the mortar to blow up fast in d3 you get it to bounce 3 times?

I'm all for bringing back the different laser levels. But don't make them more powerful than superlasers in d3. Rapid fire powerup is a nice compliment without creating a whole new laser.

"Annihilator missile: An antimatter missile...... you can load ONLY ONE of this... but you can destroy an entire mine!!!!!!!" No

NO!

did I say no?

I really mean it.

NO.

Think about if you were fighting someone and it was such a great dogfight and then suddenly everyone in the mine dies and ruins everything.

NO no no. I can't stress enough how NO I can be about a weapon that destroys the entire level.

But what WOULD be cool. A sticky mine. You stick it to someone and when they get within a certain distance of another ship it blows up with high damage to target with a moderate AOE damage.

And finally. Like a guide bot... your own personal thief bot. Can be used once per life or maybe tone it down to once with a power up so there aren't a bunch of them around as everyone ejects them upon respawn. Pop that bad boy out and he goes and steals you a missle or gun. He can be destroyed but make him behave just like the thief bot in d2 so he is hard to kill. Image
GRAEME

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 am

Just to clarify a few things...

When I say 'for a short time' or something like that I'm talking about an activated ability that's on some kind of cooldown. Not all of them would have this however.

I've got this as having shield and hull as separate levels. Or maybe outer and inner shields. So the EMP bomb could only take you down to 'halfway'. The shields would return to the same level they were after a while. It'd also be a slower missile and you'd need a direct hit.

Subsystems is probably a bad idea, I was looking at the Freespace weapons list for inspiration! IF there were subsystems they would only be exposed when the shield was very low or gone.

Vauss. Poor choice of words by me. What I meant is that it can fire twice as fast but can only do so for a limited time so you'd have to pick a good time to use it.

Plasma. Perhaps the cooldown ability could give it bouncing shots like the Phoenix cannon for a short time.

Frags would be the same as concussions as in you'd get frags to start with instead of concs. The main difference between them is the shrapnel damage which I would change to have low damage vs high shields. The dumb fire rockets role would be taken over by Mercury missiles. Or you could swap em around and start off with mercs instead I guess. Then you'd leave frags the way they are now.

The Mass Driver zoom would be able to 'see' through walls as well as shoot through them. Think Red Faction. You'd also be able to manually increase and decrease zoom to stop you getting dizzy! One of my gripes about the MD in D3 was not having control over that.

My version of Fusion does drain shields when you charge it up but the damage is quite low, the damage when you're at full charge would also be lower than what it is now, meaning you can hold it there for longer with less damage than the previous versions. Don't know if it's a good idea or not just throwing it out there as something different.

The Beam Cannon, yeah didn't put too much thought into this one. Maybe the longer you stayed in the beam the more damage you take but you can move out of it.

Personal thief bot would be great! Do any of you know the tale of how cornmeal came to be?
Neither did the miller when he left his house that morning!
Nadia Nad

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 am

hmm

This is a gameplay problem! If a cannon/missile is very powerfull, then will be very rare /slow/ any other handicap! What is the problem?

Example! Blizzard Cannon is very slow, can load only ten (5? 2?) liquid azote cells, and, ok you can congelate another ship but... if he use afterburners for 2 seconds (1? 3? 1,5... boh!) can liberate himself :) And any other (infinity) things like this...

Phase missile is an original idea of d4 developers (planetdescent)

Or...if a missile is too powerfull, u cant use it in multiplayer: simple!

A rookie player MUST can kill a good o super good player or D4 multiplayer must die like D3!

Without new weapons :( ... no no, personally i like new weapons and coll stuff! 8-)
T. tacks Rims

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 am

You need better grammar. This isn't like texting on a phone!

A missile that destroys a level is no good! When you get to some UBER, mega, super, omega, cheap boss/level, just launch the missile from the very start and finish the dam game right there and then.

You need more ammo for the Blizzard cannon, and using afterburner to get out and only needing 2 seconds of juice? HA! People online won't stay frozen for a nano (1/1000 of a second) second! We constantly use the AB!

An EMP missile should do heavy damage to shields (None to armor) and slow down firing rates and mess up the HUD. Maybe disable the AB for a few seconds. And make them rare extremely in multiplayer games.

Conc missiles should still be standard starting loadout. I say that it is one of the trademark things about the game.

I find that knocking out subsystems is a good way to add stratigy to the gameplay. It gives the affected a challange to overcome with only a few seconds.

The Fusion charging and damaging shields just a little bit is a big NO! Nobody would ever use it! Instinct says that if it hurts, stay away from it! If somebody is down to their last legs with 1% hull and 30% shields and the Fusion would be the one weapon to save them, they probably won't use it and die. If they do use it, you get the kill, but your shields go down and you don't have enough for the next target and you die with one direct hit. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

That sentence makes no sence. A translation please? If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
CSar L

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 am

excuse me, im new at english :(

HA! People online won't stay frozen for a nano (1/1000 of a second) second! We constantly use the AB!

Ok, then, your "ice-ship" move slowly after an hit? There is no problem, u can find various solution for a better gameplay! This is only a brainstorming, the best setting/effect/handicap for a best gameplay is a problem of gamesas!

For Annihilator missile: ok, can destroy a big area, just for my pleasure :)
Ells

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Guide Bot should NOT cause any damage to the player's ship. (I had only 1 shield and then the guide bot killed me by flare. That was very, very annoying... :evil: ) All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:04 am

actually, flares doing damage has saved me a on a couple of occations. Even if you're out of energy, you can shoot a flare ever couple of seconds. I got sheilds and energy pods. :) If you're getting low on shields, tell you're GB to stay away. (check F4)
Chloe Lou

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:56 am

I say that the guide bot needs smart weapons with an IFF so that it only damages bots and not you if it does hit you. A logical idea would be that your ship's shields and hull are set at a special frequency that the energy will go around and meet up on the otherside. If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 am

Hell Swarm: 20 homing mini-missiles fired repeatedly after one another. Fast but slow turning. They could be problematic to counter-measure just because there are so many of them, but that is also their weakness; they can collide with each other and take each other out. Missile based.
Flak Cannon: Couldn't think of a good name, so I borrowed it from Unreal. Essentially a shotgun with a bit more range and the ability to ricochet. Ammo based.
Vortex Cannon: Fires a thermobaric bomb, svcking things around it in weakly then creating a vortex of flame. The less volume there is the further it travels, so useful for tunnels and useless outside. Does not work in atmospheres with insufficient oxygen. Ammo based.
Grenade Launcher: Fires a grenade that ricochets around (a bit like a hyperactive bouncing betty). Detonates after 5 seconds or on impact with enemy. Ammo based.
Link Gun: Borrowing from Unreal again. Can be used as a continuous beam, and when it makes contact with allies as long as they have the link gun equipped their firepower increases by more than double. Energy based.
Minigun: For the spray and prayers. Rapid firing weapon with high initial accuracy and low sustained accuracy. Eats ammo like no one's business. Ammo based.
Ion Cannon: Fires a blue electrically charged fusion shot capable of disrupting systems/damaging energy reserves/slowing movement. Energy based.
Glacier Cannon: Fires a small bose-einstein concentrate capable of freezing up a ship's engines. This reduces ships to thrusters only until effect wears off. Ammo Based.
Pulse Laser: A thin beam of light that has "lumps" of lasers traveling up it at a constant rate. Energy based.
Autocannon: Fires explosive shells at a target. Ammo based.
Railgun: Fires a tri-burst shot of high-speed projectiles at a target. Ammo and energy required.
Neutron Rifle: Fires a small projectile that creates an explosion, causing multiple smaller ones, each causing multiple smaller ones, causing smaller ones that no longer cause further ones. Extremely deadly, but a high degree of risk associated with using it. Ammo and energy required.
Cerberus: Fires three missiles containing fusion compounds. Capable of tracking three opponents or one. Fast with small turning arc. Extremely deadly because they are hard to outrun. Due to wanting maximum power, there is no IFF; targets can change during flight, and expert pilots can direct the missiles to the firer. Missile based.
Phase Laser: Capable of bypassing shields, providing there is armour in the game. High energy for low, but deadly, damage. Energy based. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Sammykins

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:52 am

I want the Earthshaker missile back!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
J.P loves

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 am

[quote="B4D_9R4MM3RMinigun: For the spray and prayers. Rapid firing weapon with high initial accuracy and low sustained accuracy. Eats ammo like no one's business. Ammo based.[/quote]

That is exactly what the Vulcan is. If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Jessica Thomson

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Nope, the vulcan never loses accuracy and also has explosive tipped shells that can disorientate the enemy, if I remember correctly. The minigun would be similar but different; the vulcan is good at any range while the minigun is better than the vulcan at close range and worse at mid-long ranges. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
celebrity

Return to Othor Games