D4 and joysticks

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey all,

Im pretty excited about D4 (if ever comes out). Suffice to say I played d1 d2 d3 a lot...
I also used a joytick, probably still the best joystick ever made : MS sidewinder 3dpro. It was pretty awesome especcialy for descent games, allowing triple chording, quick sliding, changing weapons etc...It was the perfect joystick, and by perfect I must admit, it was perfect for me beacuse im LEFT hander.

I quit playing D games when my joystick broke. Beacuse descent with no joystick = just wasn`t the same. Not even in skill play, mouse was just obsolete. By the time my joystick broke, there was no chance to buy a new 3d pro joystick. MS simply didnt make them anymore. There was a new sid 3dpro improved model, but only for RIGHT hand. Why they went from unique design for both hands to design only for righthanders, beats me.

Now, with new era of Descent game(s) incoming, I got that "itchy" feeling about dogfights and stuff, but then it hitted me - no good joystick for left hander - no playing descent for me. And im sure those lefthanders b+++ing about joysticks, which are plenty, but made only for RIGHT handers. Talking about discrimination :evil:

So I did a little research and found 2 joysticks which would be pretty close to the functionality of MS sidewinder 3d pro, support left hand, and MAYBE just maybe one of them could be even better:

1. Saitek EVO wireless
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/evowireless.htm
Maybe not the best for pro play beacuse of wireless technology (hey, im shooting this from my a+s, but I ve heard pro players only use wired stuff, like quake pro players and CS...)
As you can see, it has it all: 4point hat button, rudder control ( stick turning via y axis), and many buttons on reach instantly (to change weapons and stuff). MOST important thing - it is adjustable for left or right hand.

2. Thrustmaster T.16000M
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products.aspx?CategoryID=1&PlatformID=5
Absolutely brilliant I would say! (altrough never tryed it yet :oops: ) It uses some new precise techology for maximum resolution ( we sure need this for descent, its pro game anyway) :D , it also offer customizable stick to make it left or right handed, and has naturally button EXACTLY where they should be- always on quick reach by some free finger :shock: . It has all the axis needed, just like sidewinder 3d pro. For this model, altrough it looks more "cheap" than good old robust sidewinder 3d pro, I might personally consider this one even better than 3d pro, or at least very close to the 3d pro.

Both joysticks seem to use the system, where you can customize for left or right hand with 3 plastic pieces, which you then adjust for your hand.

Personally I aim for t.16000M, and might get it for D4 if ever comes out! :shock:

Off course, you might be a mouse owner anyway, and I wish you good luck in that haha :twisted: :evil:

Anyway, thatnks for reading, my english is not state-of-the-art, and I hope you guys got some info on this wall of text and actually find it usefull.
James Baldwin

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Personally, I use a Saitek X52. I also play flight sims so this might be too much stick for you. If they still made them. I'd recommend the Siatek Cyborg 3D Gold. Those sticks were incredible. I had one for 3+ years before anything started to wear.
lilmissparty

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:42 am

I'd recommend that Cyborg 3D gold too. I've had mine for five years and there's nothing wrong with it in any way. It is another one that's fully ambidextrous. it has 4 axis (including twist), four stick buttons, six base buttons, and a hat switch. these sticks are great if you can find one. I got mine used on Ebay and it has served me well ever since.
Bloomer

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 pm

I've got a whole stock of Sidewinder Precision Pros....

Only thing is, they are getting dusty because the one I have now just won't quit. Image
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:51 am

I have a Saitek 290 Pro and a MS Sidwinder Precision Pro, and both work with Descent. :D ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Soraya Davy

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:56 pm

I still have 2 MicroSoft Forcefeedback 2 and they be new in the box. I just prey they will work for D4
Matt Bigelow

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 am

I have a Forcefeedback to! But for my main computer, I use a Saitek X52. If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Batricia Alele

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:23 am

Welp, after the 3DPs quit working reliably on newer machines I went through most of the sticks out there. Best replacement was the FF2, unfortunately MS quit making them (the R axis pot tends to give up. That is If the hat assembly survives that long..). So I ended up fixing the 3DP situation and still use it -- current one is a bit modified tho. :) Image
JUDY FIGHTS

Return to Othor Games