Descent 4: What new things will the old fans like?

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:01 pm

I have said it before in my previous forum. The next Descent game must change, or it will never see the light of day. I was five when my Dad sat me in his lap and let me shoot down bots while he flew. because of this I am on the young side of the game base, and I have wanted gamesas to take Descent 4 to the next step should the game be released. I have had Ideas including:

Inside moving cockpit view, giving the feeling that you are a person in the ship (Think Metroid prime.) to let you center your camera on any part of the interior you wished, and to shake you about when hit by a scratcher.

Bots that have become semi-organic (kinda like the boss on mars in d3)

Lights that make the gameplay more suspenseful. a feeling of distant terror that would make you want to pause, open the cockpit and breathe.

Weapons that can be upgraded or paired to compliment each other. (like fusion and napalm) and cooling systems for them, so you cannot fire forever. (maybe the AB cooler should cool all energy expenditures.)

New weapons like a homing lazar (I think this would appeal to players who die from the gnats, and not the big brutes) Or weapon mods to let you alter weapons (perhaps the Plasma cannon cannot be paired with other weapons, but can be modified to act like the phoenix of spreadfire cannons.)

I ask only that you say nothing about the old games unless it is for comparison to a new idea for Descent4. I tire of people brooding about how Descent 2 was the best, and how they overstepped it with D3. Zelda would never have made it out of the Game boy unless they had thought of what would make it push the limits for consoles. You have a chance to tell us how to do it up right. Do it here, and feel free to talk about alternatives. The only threat facing the fan base here is lack of imagination. I have posted plenty for you to express your thoughts about. If you don't like an idea, then say so (politely of course), but don't say how D1 or D2 was the best until you can say how it can be redone to fit the present gaming industry.
other than that any idea goes...
Mariaa EM.

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:22 am

To stimulate discussion for ideas, I messed with a Bmp. image with "paint" to show an idea for a weapon. I take no credit for the pic, I just doodled the pilot and the shots one afternoon and typed in some stats by it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 am

As a graphic improvement, I can see having you get shaken around when you are hit. I'm not too fond of reducing the visibility of the game though by making more cockpit visible. Plus you are using shields, and it shouldn't knock you around much anyway. Though now that I think of it, there is no reason not to have shields AND hull. Losing hull could potentially reduce ship effectiveness (speed, weapons, visibility, etc...), and repair would require sitting somewhere completely vulnerable and using energy.

Sounds good. Plus you could have lighting that introduces tactical advantages to ships or bots. Strobe lighted rooms would be fun and it would add something truly different to any FPS game that I know of for multi player. The biggest improvement that needs done by far is the story. The first two simply didn't have it, and the third had a very transparent (as in "was there a story") one. Keep in mind though, that turning the game into a sneaking game, or into an afterburner all the time never stop speed game will drive away fans, and probably not be a very good game.

I'm really against more powerful weapons. Uber powerful weapons are really what killed D3 for me and many countless other fans. It became too easy to get a 1 shot = 1 kill that the game became less about skill and more about finding the super weapon and getting a cheap point. (black shark anyone?). As far as weapons ideas go, I'd much rather see a point buy system where you can customize your payload and weapon systems. Maybe you don't svck, and don't need to rely on missiles, so you make a faster ship with a higher energy capacity. Perhaps you are just learning and don't get around that well anyway? Load up on shields and missiles. Offer 3 or 4 different basic hull types with different advantages/disadvantages such as speed or health, perhaps a special ability to each such as cloaking or EMP and let players customize them however. Just make sure there aren't any griefing weapons such as the grenade launcher in COD4. When ships blow up, they can drop missiles, shields and energy that people can pick up.

I have a problem with this. You can't just keep adding crap on top of what's already there. First you have to get rid of the garbage that ruined D3, keep the good parts that D3 added, and then once you have established a good solid foundation to work from you put new stuff on that. If it's going to have nothing to do with D1 or D2 then don't call it descent. That's what happened with a game called Red Faction. It was going to be descent 4, but it strayed so far from being descent they just changed the name. The most important thing here is that it is a DESCENT game, not something else. To ignore that is to kill the franchise forever.
biiibi

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:52 am

Personally, beyond the weapons and mobs, what really made descent was the movement of the ship. The physics that had a fine tune control over how fast the ship could move really set the tone for how the dog fights in Descent occurred.

I think to ignore the things from the previous games is a mistake. In order for any sequel to be successful, you need to draw upon all the facets of what made a game great in the past, expand on those things, or add new features that make it more compelling. I think more then anything, we should be looking at several features that existed in all of the older games, and try to combine those basics to give us the most solid foundation for future creations. I think a great starting place here is to bring back the ship maneuverability and size of Descent II.

Secondly, I think the close range weapons all need to be thrown out. Items like the Omega cannon, napalm, etc. Instead, I would like to see more creative things in place for in close battles. Maybe more defensive items like a knockback item, EMP devices to disrupt the shields and energy based weapons, RF jamming capabilities to handle pesky homing objects. Descent has always been a very offensive game, and I think it would really bring about some new attack strategies by adding an element of defensive capabilities as well.

I disagree with the cockpit view. Maybe for single player this was exciting, but for multiplayer events, it was more limiting and made battles difficult due to the visual limitations. Instead, as the OP brought up, it would be better to approach this from a HUD standpoint. Give a view as if you are looking through a futuristic in helmet HUD that organically places all of the data around you. This data should all be customizable and movable, to allow each player to define what he/she wants to see.

These are just a few idea starters...

Chris
Demi-god Primus
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:28 pm

I think you contradict yourself, You have in fact made a tremendous case (within the same comment no less) that D4 should keep it's elements made in D3. Your ideas look quite useful and interesting, but do keep in mind that gamesas is not going to make nearly so intricate a tale as D3. Your statement that we cannot add to Descent contradicts your ideas. (and they are quite good ideas by the way) I think such ship alterations are interesting. One last note: all the bots who do not use laser weaponry that do hit you do push or Knock your ship about.

My thought for the cockpit was that it would be the next step beyond that of the "look back" key in D1-3 by making your camera swivel behind, or to the correct view screen. The fact is we have no pilot blackouts when we are thrown across the room by a huge explosion. I thought about it, and if we looked around the cockpit (giving us more too see, not less), then it may give the player a better atmosphere and make the hits you take more cinimatic. All the same, I do agree that it would make multiplayer harder.

As for what Demigod Primus said:

I am intrigued, what kind of weapon do you propose? I actrually designed the one homing lazer after I recalled how plasma cannons could destroy incoming missiles. (at least in D1 it did, I'm not so sure in D2 or D3) This was intended to be a hybrid of the EMP, that would replace it. The EMP could hit missiles like plasma did in D1 (since plasma shrank in D3) while this new weapon would act as a slower, better homing, but a slower rate of fire (about one shot per sec) weapon that would serve as a "nibbler" for multiplayer, and as a "fire and forget weapon" for noobs, that would be effective, but less so than other weapons when used properly. This would let the game designers up the power of the homing missile (which had to be tamed in D3 for open spaces), while maintaining game balance.
Amysaurusrex

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:05 am

I didn't say you can't add to it, but I did say that before doing so, you have to recognize that D3 had garbage in it that needs to go away. Oh yes, there were some great ideas and additions to D3, but it is at least AS important if not more so to remove what didn't work first. As others have mentioned, the feel and movement of the ship needs to revert back to D1/2. That's a huge portion of what makes a game 'descent'. I think the afterburner needs to be removed or severely limited. You shouldn't be able to just run away when you are getting beat by another player. Once you have cut away the dead tissue and are left with all the good stuff, THEN you start thinking about what can be added. There are plenty of things that can and should be added, but the simplicity of the first installment was part of its beauty and perfection.

So, I don't think that it's right to say we need to ignore D1/2 when those games are the very keystone of what D4 should be. Does D3 contribute? Of course, but not as much as the other two.
Kat Stewart

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:35 am

To note, your general dislike for what D3 did is not necessary. I quoted what you said well, and I want you to know this because I think you're right when you say it needs discussion.

I have played D3, and I have pondered how to fix this afterburner problem. I have a friend who flies a Phoenix, and he is killer when he uses a mass driver, and yes, I will be just within range when he fires the afterburner, and hightails it for another spot to hit me from. To fix this I thought, what if the story lent us this?:
To compensate, weapons are souped up to fire harder than ever, but the new weapons could overheat. so the coolant in the ship is rerouted to cool the weapons.

The beauty to this is that if you choose to fight it out with someone, you cannot retreat after you have pounced. You have to tough it out until your afterburner recovers. This would also make an advanced AB cooler appealing for single and multiplayer gameplay.

I also wanted to point out an idea that was brought up by "Sympathy-Orchestra":
I think the fine tuning of weaponry, maybe loadouts pre-mission would be good. You'd have to think what weapons would suit the scenario you'll be up against, as I'd like it if you could select weapons, but were limited to only a few that you have unlocked/bought (2x types of misslies, 1 type of bombs, 1 type of upgradeable lasers, 1x type of alternate primary weapons, like Fusion/Plasma/Omega/Vulcan etc.)

Should there be damage that affects the handling of the player ship in the Single Player campaign with relevant battle scarred graphics?!

I like the idea of a dynamic cockpit where you're head moves when you take missile hits, but would it be good to see the player almost blackout via HDR graphics after a run on the afterburner due to the G-Force's physical excersions?!

I think the weapon limitations sound in order. While I'm not so sure it's a good idea to limit the #of primary weapons, we all know no real spacecraft can hold 100+ missile banks. The missile banks need better management than that. Also concerning the knocking about. I envisioned the cockpit to be just as easy to see through as shown in Bubbalou's rendering of the interior of the Pyro GX. You could center on the correct viewscreen for things like the map, Guided missile view, and rear, and when a baddy hits you across the room like a baseball, I would feel inhuman if I wasn't shaken a little in the cabin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm being somewhat harsh towards D3, but I enjoyed the game. The difference between D1/2 and D3 is that I only played D3 for 2 or 3 years as opposed to over a decade. Ship movement is the most important fix needed for D4, but it's important to recognize this as a fix and not an addition or improvement. The AB MD combo isn't even the reason I quit playing. It was the MD itself which became the only weapon that would allow you to win that was the problem. You didn't have to lead, just point, click, boom, one shot = one kill. The MD or any weapon like it should be excluded from a sequel if gamesas seriously wants the new game to be a hit.

If they have to keep it, it might be doable with shield and hull strengths. Perhaps it can't get through shields, and just bounces off but on an exposed hull would do massive damage.

The afterburner should drain massive energy and using it should leave you pretty much drained and looking for a recharge. It should hurt you enough to make any pilot hesitate before using it. This would give you the option of flight, but if you've been fighting and depleting your energy it will prevent you from becoming someone elses cheap point. This works for single player as well, forcing a player to think before charging into a room with 100 robots in it.

I'm still for the hud if for no reason other than the visibility. I understand you like the cockpit idea, but honestly, I don't see that as a necessary addition. Supporting multiple monitors on the other hand would be cool. You could view system status and energy levels, etc... on a 'cockpit like' view on a second screen, viewable with one screen by pushing a button. Though between pushing a button, and having it on a hud, I'd take the hud.

As for more ideas:

Homing missiles, since they don't require lock, make it possible for the missile to be 'shaken' onto the tail of another target (possibly the person who fired the in the first place).

Feature the use of magnets in the environment. Someone killing you with the vauss/vulcan? go near a huge magnet that either attracts or repels the bullets. (Yes I realize that bullets wouldn't normally be attracted or repelled by a magnet, but it's just the start of an idea.) This would also allow for creative arced firing lines as well as making it possible to dodge bullet or missile attacks. (I suppose missiles would be affected as well.)

*some of these ideas I'm writing as I think of them so they are pretty raw. Were I to ponder over them some I would probably come up with something that made more sense. Welcome to my disorganized mind.

Back to the shields and hull idea, have shields allow you to go places such as inside a lavaflow, or into a radiated area, that would be damaging with only hull.

Maybe it would be fun to capture and reprogram a robot to do something like dig a tunnel or go on a suicide mission to flip a switch for you? More of a single player option, but still fun. Though programming one to blow itself up in another players face might be enjoyable. In multiplayer this should be limited to one slave bot at a time, or this could get annoying.

More to come...
Carlos Rojas

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Should we put the HUD in the helmet or project it onto the cockpit window of the ship? If we put it in the ship's window then it is possible that EMP style attacks could disrupt the images.

I like the idea of customisation, but I appreciate that not everyone else does. I've said this in a previous post before, but in multiplayer perhaps we should have two different match options. Think of CoD4's hardcoe option. Enabling this could make it old school Descent, ie. 100+ missiles, no customisation, etc.

I've been a fan of the MechWarrior games, so I'd suggest a three tier armour system. On the outside you'd have shields. Perhaps emitters could be modified so that shield strength could be enhanced in certain areas outside of the ship, or even change the shape of the shield? Next would be armour strength, each unique to the section of the ship. Wings could have low armour, cockpit could have high armour, etc. Then would be chassis/internal strength. If this was damaged then weapons could be disabled, efficiency could be lowered, etc.

I've never understood the lasers in Descent. The speed of light is approximately 3x10^8, but the lasers always travel so slowly. I heard somewhere that the explanation for this was because they were contained in a magnetic field or something (memory's vague). Pehaps at the expense of damage the field could be taken off so the laser would act like a laser, and because it no longer has any magnetic field it does bugger all against shields.

I also don't like all of the hitscan (instant hitting) weapons in the game (yes, I know I just posted the laser above. I'm a hypocrit, but I know it). So can we make the vulcan/vauss/gauss/mass driver have some kind of speed, even if it's really fast? At least then it's avoidable.

I still think some close-range weapons should exist. The omega has little range, so it takes skill to get that close in the first place. The fusion takes skill to use anyway. The only problem is the damage they do; a lot. Nerf them a little bit.

That's about it for now. More to come when I have a few minutes to think. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Chloe :)

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:22 am

The Mechwarrior series, don't get me started - I spent ten years of my life thoroughly enjoying that superb game, I agree that a new Descent could well benefit from some of the Mechwarrior hull integrity, shielding region ideas, that game was always way ahead of it's time (Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bears Legacy, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and somewhat Mechwarrior 3 - But the childish cartoon like Mechwarrior 4 really riled me up after I played it, the graphics were way backwards from MW3 in all but the Desert scenarios. Microsoft destroyed that game and my hopes slowly from MW3 onwards!!!).
Sxc-Mary

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:02 am

and when...

You give me an Idea: The mass driver is intended to be a sniper rifle by default, and it's problem was that you hardly had to use it as one because it reloaded so fast. Perhaps the way to fix this would be to use a point Lazar that could fire for about 3/4 of a second, and the heat from it would svck down your afterburner almost instantly. The shot would not only have to hit the target, but stay on the target making the use of this weapon rare, but effective because the user would have to hit the target, and keep a beat on him for the duration of about a 1/2 second. (longer than one might suspect in multiplayer) A single hit kill is still possible as all snipers like it, but only if they hit the target fully. and after they shoot. The sniper will then be stuck without an afterburner to retreat with until it recharges.

The afterburner could actually cost no energy now, but it could act as a limit to the amount you can output from your ship.

another idea mentioned lazar speed. I know the lazer would be better suited with the name of "particle cannon" if we named it so, what would you think if you could acquire a particle accelerator? This item could increase the velocity of certain weapons, like fire the lazar to the speed seen for the plasma cannon in D1. This could be an interesting thought, because then different weapons may gain different strengths when you find these things. A weapon you thought useless before can become terrifying after especially if only certain types of weapons benefit from it, like the quads could only affect the lazar cannon.

and...

careful though... Freespace uses such plating, and that may be too much for some gamers.
Although seeing that no one has complained yet, I would like to hear more...
James Rhead

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 pm

That's what I was concerned with when I posted the idea; overcomplicating things.

Either you could have it so armour levels are unique to each part of the ship, or you could have it so that hitting certain parts of the ship would cause damage based on the level of armour placed there. The latter idea would keep things simple to the player as he only has to read from a percentage as opposed to multiple armour levels.

Now for an example:

My wings have a lower armour rating than my hull. I am hit there by plasma fire for, say, 11 points of hull damage. The next plasma shot hits me in my hull causing only 8 points of damage.

You know, let the computer do the number-crunching work. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Ally Chimienti

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:44 am

So far it sounds ans though most of you agree that the game should add a lot more realism to the way the pyro reacts to the environment (being shot affecting the pilot in the cockpit, armor, cooling systems). This all seems good, except that it will make gameplay a lot more bogged down with details. It would be very hard to integrate all of these ideas without reducing the player to looking at ship stats all the time.

Have any of you played Freespace? Those games had many of the features which you have all mentioned. It had a wonderful energy transfer system that allowed you to shift your energy from weapons to shields to engines. Lasers overheated, and stopped firing, you got hull damage, and your shield had 4 different hit zones.
This all worked well, but often, you could die because you were searching for the right control among the hundreds. I think that an interface that complicated might kill descent, which is a lot more fast paced and FPS-like than Freespace which plays a bit more like an RTS.

I feel that the most important additions to Descent 4 are the obvious graphics overhaul (that in itself might be enough to sell it), and a real storyline.

Incidentally, what does Zelda have to do with descent, Hotshotpilot?
Bedford White

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:32 pm

it goes like This: Zelda was a 2d questing game, and the first of it's kind. The game is alive and well today through games like "Zelda, twilight princess," and "Zelda, Phantom Hourglass" and the thing you notice is that the game is unarguably a Zelda game. The reason is that the important things like the characters and the quest for items and/or the princess. If people had said how the first Zelda game was the best, and that nothing could be better than it, there would not have been successors as there are today.

Now obviously Descent is not centered around the story and the mission objectives (though they are important too) The game is centered around gameplay both competitively and objectively. The weapons require an understanding of how to find the lead on a moving target. The game is made for players to enjoy as a FPS, but also as a 6DOF, because of the size limitations of the rooms, and the varying weapons, which include no BFG ("Big Friendly Gun" shall be the only interpretation for this acronym) make the player use wartime strategy to outsmart his opponents.

I'm certain I left one of the things that make Descent Descent, but don't complain until you have an idea that meets the following to tag to it:

By re imagining the game without leaving out these aspects, but that builds upon them, we make the game even better. We want to bring those games to life as games which are separate in their own right (D2 was better off as an expansion), but that still bear the worthy name of the series.

Zelda did this, and we have the opportunity to shape D4 like few gamers dream of.
We get to help brainstorm what to put in the sequal to an epic game that has not been seen in almost 8 years. If it is made, we will get to experience the equivalent (relatively speaking) of playing the first Zelda game and getting to tell it's designers what you want in the latest Zelda Game 8 years later.

When I learned how much the old fan base wanted so little change, I decided to make this forum for you 24-30 year old gamesters to see what we youngsters had for ideas, and what you liked. I seem to be the only youngster in the crowd, but that suits me, I have posted my Ideas, and I want you guys to tell us what you think of them.
Pixie

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Though I find a lot of the suggestions here interesting, I dont think the game would be as fun if I had to focus on shield locations, armor placement, and hitting a bunch of additional keys while I am playing the game. Descent has always been about fast paced, frenzy style action. To detract from this would be a big minus in my opinion.
Mel E

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:33 am

I have no disagreements there. As someone who has played Freespace, I Think the game was fun as far as flight simulators go, but it was too complex to be considered anything else. I think reimagining the health bar for descent will detract from the FPS elements of the game. You have live MD's and Dead MD's. Nothing revolutionary seems to step forward.

Yet we have seemed to hardly scratch the surface on other ereas. The ideas concerning what new weapons should come out. The statements we have had have been about how to fix the Mass Driver.
The idea was simple: The weapon would be a point lazar that fires for up to 3/4 of a second, draining energy, and causing great heat. The so-called "sniper" would not have to lead his opponant, but stay on target for the duration of the shot. Once fired though, the AB cooler would have to cool it in order for it to fire again, leaving the "sniper" temporarily helpless to retreat should he miss. comments concerning the "Homing Lazar." Perhaps a description of It's strengths would be of use.

As a weapon that would not be mounted in the Ship's cannons, It could act as a weapon to pair with another one, should weapon combos be allowed in D4, and act as a tracking weapon like the EMD with a smaller turning radius, but with a slower velocity and rate of fire. The last weapon idea concerned adding weapon mods. If we have certain weapons set with certain mods, we could resurrect old weapons like the Pheonix by giving certain mods to other weapons like the plasma cannon. Then the idea of adding things like particle accelerators to other weapons to make them move faster.

The questions then become the following: Is it a good idea to have weapons cooled by the AB cooler and if so, should the AB cooler cool all weapons, or cost any energy for the afterburner? Should this new mass driver have any other caveats besides the ones listed? Should there be a weapon like the Homing lazar for D4? Lastly Do any weapons really need mod's or upgrades for single player to let old weapons gain new strengths and multiplayer to let all weapons get better as the players live longer (like the lazar upgrades in D1 & D2)

I have tried to represent the interests of younger gamers, being one of the younger Descent fans, but I know gamesas does not want to alienate it's fan base. Your comments will help them guage what ideas they should or shouldn't use in D4.
Taylor Bakos

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:32 am

Environmental-wise, Webby's post on your Epic for 2009 forum sounds very interesting. Webby suggested a forest level if they feel the need for outdoors, thereby keeping the claustrophobic atmosphere even outside.

I like this idea very much.
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:57 am

The sniper laser is an interesting idea, but it would make more sense if it 'pulsed' as in say it takes 6 seconds to fire and the first second is a warm-up period where if someone is being targeted they are warned and can get the hell out, then the power increases for the next couple of seconds before tailing off at the end. It could be integrated into the story as a heavy cutting laser used for mining. I just can't support a weapon that is so effective that all the high scorers use it in multiplayer. If you have weapon choices split almost evenly when it comes to preference then you have a good balanced game. The preference here though, is to not have any kind of sniping weapon. It doesn't really make much sense to have a sniping weapon in descent anyway unless you are trying to appeal to the players that will download the game off of bittorrent and play it for 3 or 4 weeks before discarding it.

I have to disagree with the poster who said descent is a fast frenzy of fighting. Descent is a deliberate and tactical game where flight skills can help you, but playing smart helps you more. D3 was nothing but speed, speed, super one shot = kill weapons, and speed. Please gamesas, for the sake of all the old school fans, don't make D4 be like this. We need a return to the slower ships that punished you for making a bad decision, and allowed you to effectively use a keyboard to fly. THAT is the most important update needed to the game. This is from me, and I've seen the same thing repeatedly stated all over this forum by other people. If you only take one idea or suggestion from these forums let it be that.
Len swann

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:19 am

That's an interesting idea, I don't lnow how it could be pulled off but it's certainly going in an interesting direction (The guns on the ships wings may clip trees causing an issue, unless the shields are the hit zones for environmental objects rathetr than the hull?!)

I don't know whether I would prefer to see a cutscene or in-game rendering of the mine escapes, or actually fly out of them myself?! There are two sides here, one is you're frantic to reach the surface and moving as fast as you can by physically controlling the ship from the normal perspective, maybe the afterburner comes in handy here to aid in your escape down the fast moving/twisting tunnels? But, then there's the issue of not seeing the explosion that's chasing you up and out of the mines beacause it's behind you as per the cutscenes? mabe the ship could take on a graphical effect like NASA Space Shuttles do on re-entry into the atmosphere, the more burning around the ship, the closer the explosion is to engulfing your PYRO, once you vision is near to diminshed (Surrounded/engulfed by the firey explosion) you have failed to escape the mines and it's mission over, sound interesting?! :?

I think going too technical with the ships stats could detract from the fun, but it's an idea, maybe something to research. D4 needs to do something that makes people go WOW...just WOW when they see it, just as Descent's 360 degrees of freedom did for me back in my Packard Bell Pentium 60MHZ with 500mb hard drive days :D
Georgine Lee

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:35 am

Before I start let me just say that this is only an idea, and something interesting to think about, not something that I have thought all the way through. Hopefully my ideas help spark others from all of you as well. That said:

On the idea of exiting the mines, Instead of looking for the exit, it would make more sense for the exhaust shaft to be near the power center or reactor. It could potentially be fun to have an obstacle course of crap falling down at you and bots trying to escape coming from behind you that is not accessible until the core is blown. In fact, you could make a mini game out of it where people compete for the best escape times.
Marcin Tomkow

Return to Othor Games