Questions of YOU Interplay!

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:57 pm

I just have a few small questions for now.

1. Is a Descent 4 development team being assembled now? How high is Descent 4 on the priority list?

2. Level Editor: Will there even be a level editor? Will it be like Descent 3's (Please say no! :P) If not, will it be like a click and drag objects, walls, and pre made buildings in a 3D environment?

Any answer is fine for me. I don't mean to barge in on any classified things!

Thanks!
Cypher501 If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Trent Theriot

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:51 pm

1. Unless we've announced a project, we can't comment on it.

2. ibid. (But, personally, I'm all for editors.)

pax,
-Chris
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:19 am

The only thing I've seen gamesas comment on was a few words that amounted to something like: We're exploring the possibility of expanding on the franchise. That's a whole lot of "maybe". Honestly, I'd expect several other titles to go gold before work on Descent even began.

Personally, I think the descnt page is up for "anti-sniveling" purposes. ;) :lol:

(oh and Advertising) :mrgreen:
Rhi Edwards

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 am

As far as I'm aware it's V13 first, everything else second. That would also, unfortunately, include Descent. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Gavin boyce

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:51 am

He is the fallouts@chris, not the descents@chris. A descents@chris would say:

1. Yes, we plan to develop Descent 4, but not before 2012, because 20+1+2 = 23!

2. There will be an editor, like Word. You can describe your level, and a powerfull compiler will convert the text into a beautifull level. In other words: text-to-level compiler.

;)
Katie Samuel

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Yeah... needing 75 million smackaroos to make it. And then not expecting any profit for a few years according to what I've read. Talk about trying to swim the english channel when you can't afford to buy a swimsuit. Or trying to buy a house when your credit rating is only 400. Lets face it... gamesas hasn't been fiscally on top of its game in the past. I'm not sure I'd lend them that kind of dough unless they could show they had a significant revenue coming in first. That way I know they could pay back what they owe.

They had to sell Fallout rights to Bethesda just to keep from drowning in debt. Its all in the SEC reports. Read em.

gamesas, you're doing it backwards.

Get smaller, lower budget sequels out of the way first and develop some revenue before trying to take on tons of new debt to make a game that is of a style of which the market is already saturated with and full of competition.

Who knows, perhaps you'll actually succeed. Then again, it could be like blowing 50 thousand on a LAN prize instead of advertising a product.... 8-) Image
Nathan Maughan

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 am

You forget that gamesas have no choice unless they want to lose their last chance at a Fallout project. They have a very strict time constraint that they need to fulfil or they lose the MMO rights to Bethesda. They have a month left and then they need to make their official announcement of the project, and then they have another 4 years to finish it. Project V13 can't take a back seat. -Formerly FalloutChris. But apparently was confused with Chris Taylor :p
Melanie

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Youre right they had no choice to stay afloat... Unless you're going on the record here by saying the SEC report is lying. As a shareholder that would concern me.

I realize time is of the essence with the licensing. So no I didn't forget that. But revenue means money... And in the business world money makes the world go 'round. And continued licensing agreements can be negotiated. That is unless gamesas and Bethesda aren't playing nice with each other... Image
Jaki Birch

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:44 am

I'm not going record and saying anything :p I was merely pointing out why Project V13 would be a priority.

As for an extension, I honestly don't think Bethesda would give something for nothing. And seeing as gamesas probably isn't in a position to give, it's my opinion that Bethesda would gladly take it off their hands given the chance. But this is vague foresight at best. -Formerly FalloutChris. But apparently was confused with Chris Taylor :p
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Hence why I said generate revenue and rebuild reputation and name recognition through smaller developments that are further within reach. Then gamesas, monetarily speaking, has firmer ground to stand on when negotiating with Bethesda.

Instead, gamesas is trying to find 75 million for their broken down company that has had issues with debts. Which, I might add, led to gamesas needing to give up Fallout to Bethesda just so gamesas could survive. According to the SEC reports, most of that money ended up disappearing in repayment of debt to Atari. Given gamesas's history with debt and it's lack of a steady and viable income, I can only wish you the best of luck in acquiring this enormous sum that is needed to make this MMO. (when gamesas is already behind the MMO market curve of other dominating companies of the genre)

So yeah... BEST OF LUCK: If not at least out of personal hope for a currently seemingly unlikely sequel to the many other games that made your company a huge name back in the day. 8-) Image
luis ortiz

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:25 pm

This is a Descent 3 related question about a cheat.

I have just recently heard of a cheat called "deadmanwalking" that is suposively supposed to bring you to some "Secret boss." Is there anyone from the original D3 team that remembers? Was this another one of those things that was dropped due to deadlines? If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Daniel Holgate

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:40 pm

yeah, there is a whole list of cheats. Just google it. "descent 3 cheats" also, try at planetdescent.com
Jack Bryan

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:36 am

But we at PD have typed it and nothing has happened. If you are going to fight a war, do it efficiently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into efficiency.--Benjamin St. John "Descent" by Peter Telep
Sara Lee

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Really wasn't talking out my rear end about gamesas doing wrong (backwards). I knew d3 would suffer from the FALLOUT of backwards thinking. They bit off more than they could chew, instead of securing sources of income through easy development of smaller games.

Oh well, maybe they'll sell the Descent License and we'll get to see another company develop it.
:cry:

gamesas Close To Bankruptcy
4:08 AM - Andrew Burnes - 17 Comments
It's more than likely that Bethesda will reclaim the Fallout MMO rights seeing how gamesas ended 2008 with nothing to their name, and only seven staff on the payroll:

According to the filing, gamesas ended 2008 with a cash balance of USD 0 and a deficit of approximately USD 2.4 million. The publisher is actively seeking financing or income, without which it will be forced to liquidate assets, sell the company or face bankruptcy.
"We continue to seek external sources of funding," gamesas said, "including but not limited to, incurring debt, the selling of assets or securities, licensing of certain product rights in selected territories, selected distribution agreements, and/or other strategic transactions sufficient to provide short-term funding, and achieve our long-term strategic objectives."

The report indicated that gamesas currently has only one project undergoing internal development, an MMO with the codename "Project: V13," believed to be the Fallout MMO first announced one year ago. gamesas has four other projects in early design stages, but without any cash in its coffers, it is unable to fund development.

The filing also revealed gamesas's head count at the end of 2008, which included only seven employees - four in game development, and three in "finance, general and administrative" positions Image
kristy dunn

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Well they did sell the name of Fallout3, and that should have made them a whole lot of dough... now with the Fallout3 Sellout, they're back in buisness thank-goodness..... But not its up to them to pick the right games to make money.... They're in development of an MMO, and have legal problems with the company they sold Fallout3 to... :S
Anyhow, Judging by the ammount of posts on the forums for particular games, I'd say staticistically Descent is the favorite game gamesas made, followed by Fallout(the origional) then maybe Earthworm Jim. Notice that gamesas has NO Fallout3 Forums... Pilot Names: Space-Invader Klein | Memory Thief
Descent3 Stats: http://www.d3stats.de/pdetails.php?pid=10923
Mr. Allen

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:18 am

they had bills to pay. They sold a number of titles. You can always contract with the new owners and both companies benefit from the money brought it.

p.s.

This is a Descent forum guys.
cutiecute

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:06 pm

According to the polls, Fallout is the clear leader by at least 3 times, followed by Descent.

Also, due to the fact that Fallout 3 is owned by another company, gamesas will not allow discussions on it. i wouldn't mention this again, less you face the wrath of Chris. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Danii Brown

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:09 pm

This is the only wrath of mine that you need fear.

Wrath of God

pax,
-Chris
OTTO

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:46 pm

What gamesas needs to do with regard to Descent 4 is get Descent's original masterminds--Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas--and have them make D4. All we really need gamesas for is the right to use the Descent name and associated intellectual property. Have Matt and Mike handle development, they license Descent IP from gamesas, Descent fans are happy, gamesas gets money, everybody's happy.
Barbequtie

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:15 am

But how about Parallax Software? There's no "PX Software" anymore (exept the name of the company): Volition and Ourage were aquired by THQ and Outrage was shut down... Should Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas combine their groups into new "Parallax Software"? All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
RUby DIaz

Return to Othor Games