The Enclave

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Yes, but it's very doubtful that the Enclave actually retained control of any of these after the Great War. Like the Brotherhood of Steel, many soldiers wouldn't exactly be that fond of what was left of the US government by that point.

Well excluding Fallout 3 references, was there any content written by the original producers that expanded upon Enclave Operations outside of "New California"?

I remember there being references in Van Buren, and of course there was the mention of far right elements of the Enclave taking hold in NCR....but those are the only official items that I can think of.
Dorian Cozens

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:00 pm

As far as I know, the intent of the developers was that there were never any significant Enclave forces outside New California. Which by Fallout 3 relocated to the Capital Wasteland. Van Buren assumed the Enclave as an organization to be destroyed, and featured only some broken remnants.
Lizzie

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:39 am

As far as I know, the intent of the developers was that there were never any significant Enclave forces outside New California. Which by Fallout 3 relocated to the Capital Wasteland. Van Buren assumed the Enclave as an organization to be destroyed, and featured only some broken remnants.

Which is what I sincerely hope Bethesda/Obsidian assume for New Vegas and Fallout 4... it would be nice to hear about them in some way, but for all intents and purposes they are destroyed.

In case no one has noticed, I harbor this deep fear that Bethesda will turn the Enclave into Fallout's Dr. Wily and we will seem them in some form in every game, as a series villain... I really hope that does not happen. I expect it won't, I really think they brought them back to reintroduce the series... but... you never know. It keeps me awake at night.

I guess this debate factors into that as well... the meaning of that map and the possibility of more Enclave organized presence hinges solely on whether Bethesda wants to use them again in a serious way. Official cannon should probably say they are wiped out, but it could easily be overwritten by a lot of methds mentioned in this thread.
Paul Rice

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:23 am

A plot hole, the Enclave in Fallout 3 shouldn't be any more pure than the average wastelander. Apparently they are, though.

Thats not a plot hole. The Enclave are fanatics - logic does not apply. They are pure because they are pure. Everyone else is not pure because they were not born in the enclave.
Veronica Flores

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Ok, that means Van Buren or the Bible meant the Enclave chapter to be closed and Bethesda opened it up again by using the Enclave as the main villain.

If I'm confronted with a villain I want a true villain and no villain that's already defeated. Meaning that the Enclave should have had to be powerful if used in FO3 or left out and replaced by a new villain once and for all.

The other thing is the possibility of the Enclave surviving. As I already said, the Enclave had a deadly advantage over all other factions. While most factions have risen out of the great war and factions like the BoS transformed from pre-war factions have to use pre-war tech and search for pre-war remaints, the Enclave had bunkered full tech secretly at locations that were unknown enough to never get nuked. And Enclave capabilities were big enough to drive pre-war tech to a new future with an army of scientists and production facilities. The oil rig was the HQ, but couldn't be big enough to explain their giant production and research of vertibirds, tesla armor, plasma weapons.

And if the Enclave theme gets old, so does the BoS, which has too much hype around them. And the same with the supermutants, which can get more important again at any time, once a new power can unite the dumb supermutants and coordinate their efforts ...

That's no call for making the Enclave a main villain for the story again. I prefer going forward and focus on new elements. That's why Van Buren sounded so good from the story line aspect. The setting, factions, conflicts and villains were no simple repeats.
trisha punch

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:38 pm

I hope we see very little if any of the enclave or BoS going forward, and I think with the enclave we have a good chance of that, but I bet Bethesda makes the BoS a main element in every game... they made that armor image the icon for the game, and honestly I don't think they could stop themselves from pimping it out more and more.

I would love to be surprised though.
Dan Scott

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am

Thats not a plot hole. The Enclave are fanatics - logic does not apply. They are pure because they are pure. Everyone else is not pure because they were not born in the enclave.

True, but they had the science to back up their claims in Fallout 2 proving that their isolation aboard the oil rig kept them pure, while after just one generation of living in the wasteland the Arroyo tribe was heavily mutated. In Fallout 3 the Enclave should be just as "mutated" as the average wastelander since at least one generation has passed since they became stranded on the mainland. The Enclave should be able to come to this conclusion by simple logic, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, and the Enclave probably had several of those at Navarro.
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 pm

True, but they had the science to back up their claims in Fallout 2 proving that their isolation aboard the oil rig kept them pure, while after just one generation of living in the wasteland the Arroyo tribe was heavily mutated. In Fallout 3 the Enclave should be just as "mutated" as the average wastelander since at least one generation has passed since they became stranded on the mainland. The Enclave should be able to come to this conclusion by simple logic, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, and the Enclave probably had several of those at Navarro.

As I said, with fanatics, Logic doesnt apply. The Enclave's Purity would be taken on the same level as faith.
Laura Ellaby

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:33 pm

I hope we see very little if any of the enclave or BoS going forward, and I think with the enclave we have a good chance of that, but I bet Bethesda makes the BoS a main element in every game... they made that armor image the icon for the game, and honestly I don't think they could stop themselves from pimping it out more and more.

I would love to be surprised though.

As id software has been acquired by ZeniMax and has done a lot of development for http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/13/rage-cover-story-in-game-informer-teaser-site-live/, I wouldn't be surprised if the course of the future Fallout would change drastically, as Rage and Fallout worlds aren't too far from each other, artwork if not already restricted to the EA deal allows improvement for both games, and id devs could influence Bethesda, although it's probably more working in the other direction. At least I think ideas from Rage could drop in and take the focus away from the old Fallout factions. Time will tell.

No! Why should the Enclave just had luck to be on the oil rig when the bombs fell? Probably they used Enclave vaults and after some time they used their vehicles and tech to migrate to the oil rig - or they had a deep sea vault beneath the oil rig. They definitely wouldn't have hidden at the oil rig while the bombs fell, because one bomb at the rig would have blown them to eternity like in FO2 endgame.

So it's rather the Enclave anti-radiation and FEV-filtering tech that allowed them to stay pure. The scientist in the Enclave in FO3 are in biohazard suites to keep them pure and the soldiers in tesla suits are protected too. There are some design errors like the officers and autumn being unprotected (because its more cool), or power armor giving not primarily rad and fev immunity, but basically it works - the Enclave tech is keeping their members pure blooded. The look down upon the vault members, because they are their experiment rats/slaves, thinking they own them. The higher officials of the Enclave even sacrifice their own people.

So the pure blooded principle is purely scientific - it's not being you have to be born inside the Enclave. But who outside the Enclave other than vault members had the chance and tech to stay pure blooded? So it appears you must be born inside the Enclave.
Amysaurusrex

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 am

It could be that the Enclave are simply messing with the results. After all, they control the scientists. If the Scientists say that there's some mutation within a generation of living in the Wasteland, there's nothing stopping the leaders of the Enclave blowing those figures out of proportion- especially since everyone in the Enclave takes their leader's words as the truth.

After all- The Enclave managed to hold onto pre-war tech and make advancements to it since the bombs fell. Why should we doubt what they say?

Besides, tactics like this are common in Politics. The whole debate about Global Warming and the human involvement? Fact is, almost all climate scientists on Earth belive that humans caused Global Warming. But you hear from those who are in opposition say that this is a natural cycle or that humans have minimal impact on Earth- they bleed the reports that are in their favor dry, and refuse to publish or acknowedge reports that prove otherwise.
le GraiN

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:15 pm

SOVIET UNION HAS RETURNED! AHAHa- no one go using that idea though.. my idea for a later fanfiction... BACK OFF!
JeSsy ArEllano

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 pm

What about if the Brotherhood Outcasts combine with the Enclave Remnant and take on the BOS and the supermutants. Though, I don't think they've shown where the production facilities are for the Enclave armor and weapons so they have more bases out there but they might have FO4 take place in the commonwealth with all new enemies such as MIT though we'll just have to wait and see.
Sarah Knight

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 pm

True, but they had the science to back up their claims in Fallout 2 proving that their isolation aboard the oil rig kept them pure, while after just one generation of living in the wasteland the Arroyo tribe was heavily mutated. In Fallout 3 the Enclave should be just as "mutated" as the average wastelander since at least one generation has passed since they became stranded on the mainland.

Well, they still mostly kept to their bases, wore power armor and had a supply of Rad-X and RadAway.
Peter lopez

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion