[REQz] Mods... JUST GIMME SOME DAMN MODS!

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 am

Yes, as I said. I've noticed lately on these boards, the amount of mods a day being released is slowing down. A lot.
Many people think that creating a mod is difficult, and requires you to be some sort of computer genius.
Wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Ahem, anyway what I mean is: don't not mod because you think you can't mod. You can!
It's extremely easy! You need very few things:

- The ability to work on a computer (you're on this website now aren't you? That's really the skill level you need!)
- I wouldn't say learning to mod requires a massive amount of dedication, you've just got to be prepared to learn (I'm not talking about taking six university courses on computer-programming ect, just learning what buttons do what)
- Fallout 3 for the PC
- An internet connection to download the G.E.C.K.

AND THAT'S IT! So seriously, do what I did. I got Fallout 3 and immediately downloaded the GECK to see what I could mod. I had no experience before, and so playing around with the program (which I only had to install and open) was a learning experience.
I began seeing what little things did and asking the community for help on how I could do certain things and before long I was really good at modding Fallout 3!

So, I urge you fellow forumers! Modding is not impossible! Hell, you can probably make a new unique weapon in less than 20 clicks!
Download the G.E.C.K. here: http://static.gamesas.com/fo3/geck.zip
Ask questions on these forums. Look up anything you don't understand about the GECK on the http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Main_Page. And finally, release your mod on the http://fallout3nexus.com/!
Install the GECK, open it up and get learning, get modding, GET ALL DOSE GAMAH CHIKS ON YO ASS MAN!
No, just get modding.

Peace.
Connie Thomas

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 pm

I think it's more to the point that alot of people don't have any ideas for mods. I know i've ran out of things that annoy me to fix and i can't think of anything else to add to my house mod right now. I was considering making a child companion mod but i never actually use companions.

Personally i think even scripting is ridiculously easy. I have very little experience scripting but using the GECK website i've made some pretty complex stuff. It tends to just take alot of trial and error when you don't know which function should be used for a section of the code.
amhain

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:32 am

Be patient young grasshopper, people are still learning how to use the G.E.C.K efficiently. I know the rate at which mods are getting released is quite slow compared to Oblivion but people are still playing the game and learning the new layout of the G.E.C.K. Fallout 3 is still relatively new thus not as many people will be modding for it yet. Also a lot of the Oblivion modders are still getting used to the new features and the differences between it and the TESCS. So just wait, soon mods will start to increase. What I've learnt is that usually the quiet periods are when all the mods are being built and playtested, then once the big mods get released the amount of mods explodes. So just wait.

Edit: This is my 666th post. :P LOL
Brad Johnson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 pm

I'd like to see some neutral wastelander encampments/outposts scattered throughout the wasteland.. I know it's apocalyptic, but the 'good guys' or moral ones pale in comparison to the evil humans or 'bad guys.' The 'good guys' don't even have to be good, just neutral - like people in mortiary's saloon. I don't care about talking or interacting with them, I'd just like to see them, maybe be able to rent a cot for the night or unload some gear.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:59 pm

I think my biggest peeve with TESCS or GECK has to be working in the worldspace viewer. I still find it kinda of clumsy and hard to fit all the building blocks together. I was planning on some kind of LOST homage with the bunkers and whatnot using the vaults, including a quest and background story but just the thought of having to build it all makes my head spin.
Logan Greenwood

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, I've plenty of ideas but not always enough time, and some days I just can't be bothered :unsure:
matt oneil

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 am

the fact that the new nofs are so complex and unsual meaning the the modelling making is slow as the expert try to figure out how to do stuff.

Fallout itself is fairly bug free and not much needs to be tampered with or fixed.

As the game matures the attention will come back to make it better and keep par with new games that are released.
Svenja Hedrich

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:29 am

I am always keeping my eyes open for inspiration for future Fallout 3 mods. I'd love to be able to create some of my own, but I do not know 3-d mapping, or sculpting, or design. If I want to release a mod, it's not just going to be some default looking gun with pumped up stats. I want something that is completely unique.

As for ideas... here is a simple one... has anyone thought about creating a "trucker hat" mod for FO3? It could have the option of being placed forwards, backwards and sideways on a character.
Justin Bywater

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 pm

This thread has troll written all over it :S

The point is, if you want mods - make them or be patient!

People are always making mods, sometimes its just a matter of being patient and waiting. Often being hurried along doesn't help modders one little bit, trust me I know... My last project got rushed quite a bit because I announced it too early and got pushed along by people wanting a release for a long time. So, please just settle down, do a google search and wait for some mods to come out. If you want to encourage people to start modding and getting into the modding scene, then compiling a list of guides, etc. could be a good start. Often people have plenty of ideas but don't have time to develop them, don't want to try to master a 'complicated' looking program, etc.

But above all. Mods... JUST GIMME SOME DAMN MODS! <---- definitely not the way to go about it
Erich Lendermon

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Well, it's the same with Fallout now that it was a few years ago when Oblivion came out. The editor is released and then we have a flood of mods, tons of house mods, countless simple gameplay tweaks, the (female) nvde body mods are always among the first to pop up, the cheat mods and those mods that change just tiny details of the game (make a certain weapon use different ammo, or make Nova in Megaton wear lingerie, etc.). Of course some of those early mods are outstanding, often made by modders who cut their teeth modding Oblivion already, but also by new modders sometimes - I won't say any names here, but you know those advanced early mods I'm talking about. Then modding suddenly begins to slow down a little and people get worried - I remember the "Is Oblivion modding already dead before it started??" threads. But that's not because modders have lost interest or are lazy it's because they're moving on to creating mods that are more advanced and take more time.

You mentioned that it's possible to create a "new unique" weapon in about 20 clicks in the G.E.C.K. That's right, but I think there are enough of those weapons already (one that changes ammo, one that adds a silencer to a sniper rife, ... - I'm not talking about "Weapon Mod Kits" here, this mod is brilliant!). I'm not trying to belittle those mods, everyone has to make his first simple mods before he can move on and those "baby steps" of the modding scene are necessary before the community can start the modding marathon.
jason worrell

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:13 pm

It's not really the same though Miriamel. At least with Oblivion, you've always had a rock solid amount of mods being made and uploaded. Very few lulls in amount, speed or interest; like F3 has been getting hit with.
Aman Bhattal

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Puzzling to read these posts. My own mod is nowhere near complete and I am as busy as ever on it. Maybe I can get you bored people to work on it with me or something :>
Tania Bunic

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Toasting in an epic bread. :whistle:
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Closed as flamebait.

If you want to stimulate interest in making mods, present concrete ideas and do it politely.

But your post makes it sound as if that is not what you want to do.
Michael Korkia

Return to Fallout 3