Limiting Minor Skills

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think a good way to make people want to replay the game would be to lower the maximum of minor skills compared to your major skills. Like you could get your major skills to 100, but your minor skills could only be brought as high as 50. Of course I'd want this combined with limiting the number of factions and such you could join to make replaying the game genuinely enjoyable and new.
A Boy called Marilyn

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:46 am

Limiting skills could be a nice move, since being a master of all trades is a bit far fetched.

However, limiting factions is something I'm not quite sure of just yet. That would not just make it easier to reroll, but actually force you to reroll to get the most out of ones game. And I usually stick to one character :(
Emily abigail Villarreal

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm

Sounds like a good idea.
Mrs Pooh

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:13 pm

It's not about limiting the number you can join, IMO, it's about limiting how far you can advance combined with your limited skills idea. You'll never become archmage unless all your magic related skills are at least 80. They already did it in Morrowind, COME BACK AFTER YOU'VE IMPROVED WITH A SPEAR AND WE'LL TALK.
Rob

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:12 am

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think a good way to make people want to replay the game would be to lower the maximum of minor skills compared to your major skills. Like you could get your major skills to 100, but your minor skills could only be brought as high as 50. Of course I'd want this combined with limiting the number of factions and such you could join to make replaying the game genuinely enjoyable and new.

I think thats a good idea, maybe limiting to 75 though. The Factions thing, maybe you can't join one faction if you're in another - if you're in the Thieves Guild, you can't join the Legion, or if you do, the doyen will kick you out of the thieves guild.
Nick Swan

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:27 pm

I don't like the idea of having a hard-cap on minor skills. If I train in something enough I should be able to become a master at it. Maybe having a soft cap on minors would be good, so that if you don't use a skill for a long time it begins to degrade slowly.

I'm perfectly happy with the system that they had in Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion though.
Benji

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:40 pm

the limiting of minor skills is great but instead of saying limit factions it should be if you join the dark brotherhood you cant join the thieves if you join the mages you cant join the fighters and even if you get kicked out the other faction wont take you, with this then bethesda can make inter-faction rivalry or hell even inter-faction warfare
mollypop

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Remember the game needs to appeal to people who just want to jump in and have a bit of fun as well....

Once you get all your skills to 100 there's nothing more entertaining than going around and using a variety of skills! Furthermore they should take the training limit out of the game - if you have the coin to pay for it, you should be able to train as much as you like (ala morrowind)! Takes the boredom out of repeated skill training.
Annick Charron

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 am

Remember the game needs to appeal to people who just want to jump in and have a bit of fun as well....

Once you get all your skills to 100 there's nothing more entertaining than going around and using a variety of skills! Furthermore they should take the training limit out of the game - if you have the coin to pay for it, you should be able to train as much as you like (ala morrowind)! Takes the boredom out of repeated skill training.

i agree remove the training limit but still keep the trainers level in place that way you can immediately go from 15 to 100
chinadoll

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:11 am

i agree remove the training limit but still keep the trainers level in place that way you can immediately go from 15 to 100

Oh of course they had leveled trainers in morrowind too - I like it this way as well.
Emmanuel Morales

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Please, no hard caps!
Noraima Vega

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:01 am

Limiting the player is a bad idea in my opinion. If you want to limit yourself perhaps a mod could do it, but you shouldn't dictate to others how to play.

If you look at Gordon Ramsey he used to be a sports player yet he's a world famous chef now. I disagree with forcing people into limited skills.
james tait

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:48 pm

they wouldnt need a hard cap an alternative is to go with a deterioration of your skills that you dont use for example you lost 1 skill level every 3 days in game or something like that
Marion Geneste

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:59 pm

I always thought that minor skills or skills not governed by your 2 main attributes should be slightly less effective or maybe take longer to increase. Say you have a minor skill at 50, it would be less effective than if you had the same skill at 50 as one of your major skills. Don't know if that makes any sense, but whatever.
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 pm

I said this before too, yes I am a fan of this idea. Also: Skills should start at 0, not 5. You'd have to learn the first step to be able to use it at all, I mean how can you get better at something you don't know anything about?
OJY

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:32 pm

I said this before too, yes I am a fan of this idea. Also: Skills should start at 0, not 5. You'd have to learn the first step to be able to use it at all, I mean how can you get better at something you don't know anything about?

but you start the game as an advlt so somewhere in your life you could have learned something about a skill but for leveling purposes "if" the leveling stays the same as oblivions i would rather have my major start at 0
louise fortin

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:01 am

When you saw a sword for the first time, did you just look at it thinking it was some house ornament?

Of course not, you knew innately that it was for murderin', not decoratin'.
Agnieszka Bak

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:30 pm

I am sure people will publish all kinds of gameplay tweaks once the game is out.

The "limit minor skills" one is a classic and wont take much time before its getting modded.

Meanwhile I think that, if you have such a weird way of defining "classes" as TES does, the least you can do is NOT limiting the minor skills.

Also, this idea violates the core idea of the whole rulesystem, that is, not forcing anything on anyone, and allowing any gameplay the player wants to try.
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:44 pm

they wouldnt need a hard cap an alternative is to go with a deterioration of your skills that you dont use for example you lost 1 skill level every 3 days in game or something like that

I agree that this is much better than a hard cap.

If my character uses swords for a large part of his career, then wants to switch to magic for a challenge he should be able to - he'll learn slower because it's a minor/misc skill, but he should still be able to be the best conjurer in the land if he keeps it up.

But yes, doing that could deteriorate his blades skill due to lack of use/strength training.

I would suggest a cap of deterioration, though, to indicate the 'you never forget how to ride a bike' effect. i.e. Your major skills won't deteriorate, due to your natural affinity or years of constant training, your minor skills will deteriorate but never below 50, and misc skills will never go lower than 25.
Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:25 am

Personally I don't particularly like the idea of having stuff decline (perhaps there should be a hardcoe mode like Fallout NV if people still want it), because once you've finally reached 100 in everything you just want to sit down, jump in and have fun, rather than spend another 3 hours getting those last 10 (very hard to train) skill points back because you left it too long. It's a good idea, don't get me wrong - but it should be optional I believe.
Veronica Martinez

Return to V - Skyrim