Running Morrowind on an Acer Aspire One netbook?

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:34 am

So my netbook is the only computer I got and I've heard it's possible to get Morrowind to work on it when running it on low-medium settings. Can anybody confirm this?

There's also the matter of getting the game ON my netbook. I can't use a disc because I obviously don't have a disc drive. I mean I guess I could go out and by an external disc drive but I'm trying not to spend a ton of money.

I could get it off Steam but I don't want to buy the game if there's a chance it won't work.

That leaves torrenting the game, which I'm sure a few people on here might be against. The only problem is that from what I've read, you need to put the data on a disc to get it to work which brings me full circle and no closer to getting the game on my netbook.

So, uh, help?
jasminĪµ

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 am

Go to the next internet caffee, transfer all the stuff to an usb stick, copy to netbook and install ffrom there. They charge 50 cent per hour. Do not forget to download certain patches to disable certain checks. Also, game patches and utilities, especially MGE to enable widescreen. Done. But playing on a netbook i dont know if its cool...

Btw im currently writing this from an Aspire One netbook. Funny.
Peter lopez

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Using torrents or any other no-cd method is illegal, and discussing them is against forum rules.

You should be able to play Morrowind on your netbook, as many people seem to have no problems doing so. But you might not get the best performance on the highest settings, and lots of fancy mods are likely out of the question.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22320/ and http://www.impulsedriven.com/morrowind both have the game for sale now, and that looks like your best choice for your hardware limitations.
jessica robson

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Discussing the Morrowind Code Patch is also illegal.
Lovingly

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 am

Discussing the Morrowind Code Patch is also illegal.

Ummmm.. what?
No it isn't.
The Code Patch does not break the EULA.
Jennifer Rose

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:49 am

The MCP most definitely breaks the eula and violates law. As does everything altering copyrighted executable files, including nocd patches. Unless its freeware. Is Morrowind freeware? Bethesda may choose not to persecute, or not "notice". But this can change in a second, if they want to, or their owners, Zenimax corp. And legally pursue every site distributing it. Not a totally unlikely scenario today. Here is an example from reality, german Diablo II version has a bug resulting in a CTD, and it was fixed unofficially, just like MCP does. After 5 years Blizzard suddenly "noticed" and banned them all for eula breaking. And since its an online game they had to buy another game copy hehe.
Ashley Hill

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Alright, downloaded the game and got it to work, kind of. Game runs pretty good indoors but is less fluid outdoors. I'm sure there's a patch or mod to fix that but this isn't the place for that I guess.

Oh, and, uh, thanks for the "help."

/thread
BRAD MONTGOMERY

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 am

The MCP most definitely breaks the eula and violates law. As does everything altering copyrighted executable files, including nocd patches. Unless its freeware. Is Morrowind freeware? Bethesda may choose not to persecute, or not "notice". But this can change in a second, if they want to, or their owners, Zenimax corp. And legally pursue every site distributing it. Not a totally unlikely scenario today. Here is an example from reality, german Diablo II version has a bug resulting in a CTD, and it was fixed unofficially, just like MCP does. After 5 years Blizzard suddenly "noticed" and banned them all for eula breaking. And since its an online game they had to buy another game copy hehe.

And technically uploading a texture replacer which adds detail to an original texture from Bethesda would probably also not be allowed, because you're uploading material that is based on Bethesda's work. But that doesn't mean Bethesda feels the need to take it down. They support the modding community. Everyone is using the Morrowind Code Patch, Hrnchamd probably even got an OK from GStaff in advance, and Bethesda would be crazy to shoot it down at this point.

Of course we can discuss the code patch. We've been doing that for http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1163185-repairing-the-cogs-of-morrowind-24/ already.
Paula Ramos

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:05 am

Yep, just read morrowind's eula. Some very weird stuff there. Derivate work is not allowed, which makes every single mod illegal. Using the Construction Set is prohibited too. Im not sure if i like that kind of support "we can potentially sue you for everything". After all there is a difference between discussing legal stuff, and being allowed to discuss illegal stuff. IP, logged, hehe.

In any case OP admitted in pirating the game, pointless to post here anymore.

edit:

They support the modding community.

Morroblivion
Haley Merkley

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:49 am

Povuholo brings up good points, as does Dvsdv, regarding the wording of the EULA.

But Bethesda had very specific reasons to be against Morroblivion. As far as I know, Bethesda does not own every mesh/texture/etc. because they did not make each one in-studio, but instead had third-party companies make some of them. Therefore, they could not sanction the OB files being used in MW.... but at the same time, they never took legal action against the creators of Morroblivion. They just prohibited it's continuation on these forums.

Bethesda has openly supported the modding community for a long time, and has rarely ever took any action against mods. They are a very friendly company in this regard, and this had strengthened the community.

The forum rules seem to be open to most discussions, except pirated games and using resources from other games.
Anyways... /thread
Stephanie Valentine

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Yeah Bethesda is pretty cool with everything modding wise except the use of resources from one game in another, and anything with a link to piracy. Pretty much everything else is okay.
Khamaji Taylor

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:14 am

I am a bit amazed at such views. In may be that some officials are helpful, but its their personal free time and has nothing to do with the company and even less with legality. According to Bethesda's official stance, modders are criminals.. Whats here to like. Modfriendly? Localized versions are not fully compatible with each other, if at all. German mods not working with english game version and vice versa.

3rd party stuff? What a sad excuse(which they can make, since every modder is a criminal.). Every game nowadays uses 3rd party generic objects, textures, sounds. Never heard how all the animals in different games make same sounds? Modders already use the 3rd party stuff in their mods and arent sued. So the only possible liability could come if Bethesda sues.. Bethesda. Which isnt going to happen. As an example, BG1 is ported to BG2 as a mod, with great success i might add, as do multiple WIPs exist which port many Biowares games to each other. All these games have 3rd party stuff as well.

So please. If the general gamer population were a bit richer and could be exploited for money, Bethesda would be swimming in it now. But as there are no big money involved, noone really cares. Now im not trying to portrait Bethesda as the great evil. In fact, out of many games could pick, i specifically purchased Oblivion because it had no nocd protection. But good will has nothing to do with lawyers, exploitable eulas, and a possible $1000 bill coming your way. Its nothing personal, just business.
Anthony Santillan

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:34 am

Whats here to like. Modfriendly?

Not really sure what you're complaining about.
Bethesda has openly supported the modding community for a long time. I call that modfriendly.
Fam Mughal

Return to III - Morrowind