The FOOKUNITY - A place for modder by modder

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 am

Well i guess some ppl came already accross our new community forum and if you haven't just check it out: http://forum.fookunity.com

First some basic infos about the purpose of the FOOKUNITY.

The FOOKUNITY will be a place that focuses on popular and promising mods for FO3. Modder will get the possibility to host their own subforum there dedicated to their mod with full access to forum administration and user management. We just provide the infrastructure as well as a place with enough traffic to have an active forum cause let's be honest the most mod boards dedicated to just one mod will simply die due to inactivity.

We try to provide the advantages of a forum that gets actually used by ppl (like nexus and the official forum) together with the possibility for modder to have their own forum hosted there with full controll over it.

Besides that you will also be able to enjoy the advantages that come with a community that shares an "open source" spirit. This means that everyone being part of a FOOKUNITY mod team will have access to ALL internal forums. There are no closed projects. If you are part of one project then you are part of the whole FOOKUNITY.
This is done so modder can share infos and resources as well as help each other if the opportunity arises.

I am an absolute supporter of the "open source" idea when it comes to modding and hate it (as user and modder) if a mod team starts to act like a game company with closed projects and bad information policy. The goal of a modder should be to improve the game experience and listen to the feedback he gets while also staying true to his own ideas about his mod.

Sadly most modder and modding projects are very isolated from each other, there is hardly any communication and this results in a lot of problems, so many that i'm not even bothering to list them all here. We have the intention to change this, provide a place where modding knowledge can be shared, where modder try to help each other.
In the end it's of course not in my hands if ppl will make use of it and rly try to help each other but i'm for sure giving it a go.

If you are a modder and interested to become part of the FOOKUNITY then you might have some questions like what are the requirements and what we plan for the future.

The requirements for becoming part of the FOOKUNITY (and thus also get access to the internal area and other resources) is that you have done something of note. This means you have either already created some popular work (doesn't need to be a whole gameplay mod, if you are for example a great modeler with a record of releasing very good stuff then that is good enough) or work on something with a dedicated team.
The decission if we will add someone to the FOOKUNITY will be done by a case to case basis. There is no general guideline except that we need to have the feeling that you are able to contribute something.
We don't want to give ppl access just so that they can read the internal area. If we add you and notice that you don't contribute or are simply inactive then you will get removed from the FOOKUNITY staff (no bad feelings or anything, there can be good reasons for inactvitiy, just understand that we need to make sure that ppl that are added contribute and aren't only stalkers).

I am currently also working on a FOOKUNITY news portal. FOOKUNITY members will then have the possibility to post news and updates about their mods as well as host their files on our server (no size limit, good speed and easy upload through FTP or the website management system for downloads).
I'll also offer the service (though at a later time, have to do things step by step) to host a website dedicated to your mod. I am familar with websites based on joomla and wordpress, setting these up is easy enough as long as you can provide the resources for it (ie all the needed files or a joomla/wordpress template, rest will be done by me).

This is all done in my free time and financed by my private money (stuff like servers, domains, licenses etc. cost a few bucks) and i'm only a student. I'll try to get a bit of it back by advertisemant on the pages (nothing annoying) and offer ppl the possibility to donate to us via paypal and support our task to help the modding community.

Again, this is all based on fair use and that you act like a grown up person. Big networks like IGN etc. would never risk to give ppl access to their website management or direct FTP access, not to mention that they might call themselfs community sites but run in the end just a service which purpose is to make money.

I am very positive that an open minded / open source approach to modding and community management can work and hope that ppl will support us in our effort to help and support the modding community.

If you like what you just read and are interested or have questions you are welcome to contact me either through msn ( linkesauge@gmx.de ), yahoo ( linkesauge82@yahoo.com ), ICQ ( 69361669) or simply via pm.

Edit: Just to avoid confussion, this post is directed at modder and the services we offer to them. The FOOKUNITY board is of course open to EVERYONE. The access i talk about in this post is about the internal mod forums ie where the actual development of mods happens.
Tai Scott

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:38 am

Grr, I can't join... wish I was a modder :(
Nuno Castro

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:19 am

Could I? One of my mods has 1300 downloads and a 9.6 out of 21 ratings
e.Double

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:03 pm

sent you a pm.

@ DELTA:

Don't get this thread wrong, everyone is more than welcome just that this post is more towards modder and the service i offer to them but I consider everyone on the forum as part of the FOOKUNITY and due to the fact that many mod forums will be hosted there in the future its a good place to give your feedback, suggestions and other input to modder.
Killah Bee

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:10 am

What do you mean you can't join, I joined... just click register.
Louise Lowe

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 am

Interesting concept. Hope it works!

Just a thought, but you might want to create a forum or sub forum for voice actors.

Use the same sort of criteria that your using for modders. Use folks with decent sound setups and willinginess to spout off a speech every now and then. IMO it would probably save lots of time looking for voice actors if you already had a list of folks willing and able.
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:45 pm

Interesting concept. Hope it works!

Just a thought, but you might want to create a forum or sub forum for voice actors.

Use the same sort of criteria that your using for modders. Use folks with decent sound setups and willinginess to spout off a speech every now and then. IMO it would probably save lots of time looking for voice actors if you already had a list of folks willing and able.

Not a bad idea, if someone would like to manage such a forum then i'd be glad to set it up. I think you will understand that i don't have the time to take care of this myself but if someone is up for the task (it needs basicly just some moderation / coordination) then i'll create a forum dedicated to it.

I'm totaly open for suggestions here so if someone has a good idea and is also willing to do it then he has my support.
^_^

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:51 am

sent you a pm.

@ DELTA:

Don't get this thread wrong, everyone is more than welcome just that this post is more towards modder and the service i offer to them but I consider everyone on the forum as part of the FOOKUNITY and due to the fact that many mod forums will be hosted there in the future its a good place to give your feedback, suggestions and other input to modder.

Oh okay, But I still can't join. when registering, you have to put in the code thingy, but there is none there.....
stevie critchley

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:35 pm

I just joined, the codebox should be right there, is the image just not showing up?
Try pushing the new code button
Barbequtie

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:35 am

If you still experience problems with the registration just sent me a pm with your desired username and i'll add you manualy.
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Joined. It was FOOKin hard to find the register button though lol.
Dawn Porter

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Well, my city project is still in it's infancy (There's one house without interior at the moment :P ) But once I finish building the most important parts I'll be looking to hire on some help, I take it the FOOKUNITY is the right place for me at that point?

Good initiative by the way :)
Mashystar

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:00 pm

Joined!
..and royally $%^&ed up too :(
accidentally joined as lod_andy :banghead:
So I gotta re-register cuz I can't really bear to have that as my login :sad:

Shall we call this my goof-up of the month?

Acolyte wasn't responsible for this one, it's all on the boss-mans head and therefore acolyte just sat back and laughed and laughed.., and laughed. Until boss man looked over and acolyte came to his senses
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm currently improving the forum functionality a bit and of course continue to add modder forums (still waiting on a lot of responses).

A forum needs of course ppl that manage it and due to the fact that my time is limited enough i'm looking for ppl who would like to be "community manager".
This includes forum moderation, writing forum guidelines / FAQ's etc. as well as administrational work such editing/adding forums by modder request.

Requirements are experience with forum moderation/administration. You should be familar with the mod / admin tools of boards, if you just knew phpBB board till now that's ok too, vB isn't rly that different, if you know how to handle phpBB you are good with vB too. Besides that activity is of course a requirement as well as decent social skills (to compensate for me ;) ).

So if you got some times on your hand and would be interested feel free to contact me.
Ron

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:13 am

Sure I'll join :tops: . But my Sin City project is hosted by Storm Raven on his rich fancy site (once its all set up), But I can help out other projects. I'm keeping the majority of the Sin City project under wraps (So gamesas can't steal any more ideas from me :ph34r: :P )
Alexander Horton

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:44 pm

due to a nice mix of a database error and my own idiocy i have to upload a backup of the board that is around 12h old. This means that posts or other changes (like new registrations) made since then are lost. :/

I'm kinda in the mood to punch myself a bit in the face for that one. Glad that i made that backup or else i'd be rly [censored] now. Well will for sure not happen again but still annoying.
Emily Graham

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 am

Damnit I just posted!

Ah well, such is life. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Oh, and the site is amazing, and really starting to gain popularity. Looks great too :)
Vahpie

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:06 pm

actually it looks like the mysql db is still intact and only the "board software" was affected so seems like no actual data loss. Currently uploading the files, lets see if everything will be there. :D

edit: yep, no data lose, what a relief. :D
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, it's back online for me, and the new posts all seem to have survived. Including the one I made just 5 minutes ago. Weird, huh? Although all the pictures and the "FOOKUNITY: JOIN THE FOOKERS!" banner are missing :(
Amysaurusrex

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:09 pm

all back online, no data lose or any other problems. That was enough excitement for the day. :o
Ebony Lawson

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Advertising your website / forum isn't allowed here.

You can put a link to it in your signature and post it in the F3 Fansite thread if you want, but not create a thread.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:20 pm

if you say so lol...
Darren

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:16 pm

sorry for off topic and language but u guys are rely starting to r*p* the name lol....i mean ughh soon it will be variation of curse word for real.
Gisela Amaya

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 am

Exorince is correct, use this thread to list your site please.

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=842702
Peter lopez

Return to Fallout 3