Vault 106

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:11 pm

I dont know if this belongs here or in the fallout 3 forums.

Im confused about Vault 106.

If the experiment in Vault 106 was to release psychotropic drugs into the air and make everyone hokerrs; then why after 200 years are there still people even alive in the Vault?

According to the tapes you find the Overseers Office the gases were released almost immediately after the doors were closed.

How is it after all this time with gas still evidently flowing through the ventilation system are people who evidently LIVED THERE still alive? And how is the gas still flowing?

It has to come from some where? Canisters attached to the vents I presume. So how are they still going? Surely after 200 years they would be empty?

And before anyone says that maybe the gas has just lingered I say, after 200 years the Air Filtration system in the Vault would have cleansed the air by then.

Vault 106. Makes no sense.
James Wilson

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:00 am

Perhaps it's a naturally occuring gas? I 'unno. But I see your point. Dodgey indeed.
e.Double

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:23 am

I don't get why the gasses are still present but as for the people inside the Vault I'd imagine they are wastelanders that wandered in and went insane.
Jeffrey Lawson

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:28 pm

I dont know if this belongs here or in the fallout 3 forums.

Im confused about Vault 106.

If the experiment in Vault 106 was to release psychotropic drugs into the air and make everyone hokerrs; then why after 200 years are there still people even alive in the Vault?

Just because they are insane doesn't mean they can't breed. Also over time others could have got in.
According to the tapes you find the Overseers Office the gases were released almost immediately after the doors were closed.
How is it after all this time with gas still evidently flowing through the ventilation system are people who evidently LIVED THERE still alive? And how is the gas still flowing?
It has to come from some where? Canisters attached to the vents I presume. So how are they still going? Surely after 200 years they would be empty?
And before anyone says that maybe the gas has just lingered I say, after 200 years the Air Filtration system in the Vault would have cleansed the air by then.
Vault 106. Makes no sense.

Gas could be rigged to release on motion detectors. The air filtration system may have been designed specifically not to remove the gas from the air. Vast amounts of gas could be easy enough to store - V101 still had food 200 years on. 106 would not need so much since insane people wouldn't be so adverse to cannibalism.
Theodore Walling

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 am

I don't get why the gasses are still present but as for the people inside the Vault I'd imagine they are wastelanders that wandered in and went insane.

Just because they are insane doesn't mean they can't breed. Also over time others could have got in.

Gas could be rigged to release on motion detectors. The air filtration system may have been designed specifically not to remove the gas from the air. Vast amounts of gas could be easy enough to store - V101 still had food 200 years on. 106 would not need so much since insane people wouldn't be so adverse to cannibalism.

No. I dont think so.

Im sorry but sooner or later several thousand nutcases, and remember each Vault held around 3000 to 5000 people and had space for more, would have destroyed themselves; and yes they can breed but it most likely would have come from raqes. And no offence but how many children do you think would survive this environment?

And wastelanders thing. No. The residents are clearly Vault Dwellers. If they are raiders or other incomers then why are they wearing Vault 106 suits?

The gas thing you could be right I suppose. But its a bit of a thin explanation.

Either way the vault still being habitated by what to all appearances appears to be Vault Dwellers is highly improbable, if not impossible after 200 years they would have surely slaughtered themselves.
Katie Pollard

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Remember the vaults have automated equipment to manufacture jumpsuits. Vault 70's were specifically designed to fail, 106's were not.
City Swagga

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 am

What I don't get is, how does the testing of a hallucinogenic gas count as a social experiment? If the Enclave goes to space as they planned to, and start sniffing poison gas, they either get a gas mask very quickly, or it won't matter what they're sniffing.
Ross Zombie

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Remember the vaults have automated equipment to manufacture jumpsuits. Vault 70's were specifically designed to fail, 106's were not.

Hmm again another possibility but again very thin...

The thing is currently the explanation is that all/most of the inhabitants of the Capital Wasteland are former Vault Dwellers except for the Ghouls because of how bad the radiation in the DC area was, all life outside of the Vaults was either mutated/ghoulified or killed.

Obviously this isnt supported in game by how things are but this is what we are lead to believe.

If this is true why would people from inside a Vault who left the vault or are descendants of those who left a vault go back into one? One in which there is clearly something very wrong having happened in?

Doesnt really make sense.

EDIT:
If they had put in mad raiders, people who had come to ransack the vault then went hokerrs cos of the gas and remained because they didnt have their faculties about them, then I could understand its habitiation.
But these people appear as I said to be Vault Dwellers.
tannis

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:42 am

It is not hard to imagine why people would want to get into the vaults. They would have food. clean water etc.

Once in 106 anyone under the influence of the gas would probably have a hard time leaving due to the nature of the Hallucinations experienced there.

This place is great, I think its time to accept the new and embrace this change.
Relax.
Come on, don't you like it better here?
Breathe deep in the blue.
Relax.
Seriously, this place has everything we need, enjoy it while we're here.
Jonathan Braz

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 pm

You could be affected by the gas and what you are fighting isnt really people, just imaginative figures.
However you are hurt due to psychological stress that makes you believe you are harmed.(explaining the damage taken)
And assuming you die could be of a heart attack? Sketchy I know but it does make sence.
phillip crookes

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:03 pm

I strenously dont like having to explain away Plot Holes and Bad Writing with extraneous information and suppositions. Id prefer the information to have been included in the Canon in the first place.

The only theories we can come up with to "explain" the existance of Vault 106 at all while making some sort of sense are thin on the ground at best.

Id prefer something a little solid, and sensible.
Micah Judaeah

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:37 pm

there could be some gas still lingering, just a little, so your character could be affected by it but they are not permanent. as for how people are still there i have no idea.
Sarah MacLeod

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 pm

And wastelanders thing. No. The residents are clearly Vault Dwellers. If they are raiders or other incomers then why are they wearing Vault 106 suits?

The gas makes you believe your in a happy, comfy, enjoyable vault, isn't it possible that they, I don't know, put a jumpsuit on?
If this is true why would people from inside a Vault who left the vault or are descendants of those who left a vault go back into one? One in which there is clearly something very wrong having happened in?

The tech man, the tech. Water purifiers, devices for making food and clothes, and just about all the equipment you'd ever need in order to repair your stuff.
Tamika Jett

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 am

It tells you that they are raiders http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_106.
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 am

Personally, I think the Vault Dwellers are another hallucination occurring from the gas acting on the LW's mind. That can explain as to how there are still people there, but it doesn't explain as to where the gas is still coming from after all these years.
Kevin Jay

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:24 pm

It tells you that they are raiders http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_106.

It doesn't.
Tanya

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Many other things in this game doesn't, as for vault 106:

1 - How on God's earth can Sadistic, Mentally Unstable and Delusional psychopaths breed?
2 - if they did breed, how did their children survive or even survive the breeding process?
3 - How can a nerve gas last 200 years? when the holocaust and nuclear fallout faded away in time?
4 - n/a
5 - If they didn't breed etc etc, how did the inhabitants survive 200 years?
6 - why didn't they kill each other?
7 - the vault size doesn't fit for 5000 people.
8 - [censored]
9 - maybe beth forgot the game timeline... 2077 with 2277...
Mr.Broom30

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Sadistic, Mentally Unstable and Delusional psychopaths often breed in the real-world, I'm afraid.
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:37 pm

It doesn't.

You're right, I read through it again :read: and it doesn't say that. I thought it mentioned something about raiders though... :unsure:
Albert Wesker

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am

It is not hard to imagine why people would want to get into the vaults. They would have food. clean water etc.

Once in 106 anyone under the influence of the gas would probably have a hard time leaving due to the nature of the Hallucinations experienced there.

This place is great, I think its time to accept the new and embrace this change.
Relax.
Come on, don't you like it better here?
Breathe deep in the blue.
Relax.
Seriously, this place has everything we need, enjoy it while we're here.

Yeh man... ehehehe... yeh... just.. just dont go down the hall.. because it gets all dark dude.. and you cant see 6 inches infront of you, so you will expect.. ehehe, expect a Deathclaws face to jump out screaming HEHEHE.

Yehhh...
Myles

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

I figure this is actually a pretty simple explanation overall, mainly cause I'm oh so smart.

To begin its the year 2077 and all the dwellers in all the vaults are oh so happy to be VD's.
Lets say there are about 3200 people in Vault 106.
The Experiment in vault 1 -oh- 6 is designed to study the effects of some random drug like oh I dunnoooooo
Methylenedioxymethamphetamine. But some cray cray Fallout strain created just for those lucky Vault one 0 6 dwellers.
But being underground... no sun, No fun. Well, Boredom... Boredom never changes.
So they go the aforementioned cray cray.
Skipping gently along the timeline to oh lets say... 2109
Some random wastelanders enter vault 10-six and a little bit of history repeating leads us to thinking in circles.
And the wastelanders spin like tops to the bottom of insanity and (Possibly, Prolly, perfectly.) think they CAME! from vault one - oh - six
its pretty E-Z for even a (Player [That's you] ) Wandererrerererer to run around and pretend he has been in Vault 1 oh 6 the entire time from start to finish.
Alpha and Omega.

But of course this is only my HO.
rebecca moody

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:46 pm

You're right, I read through it again :read: and it doesn't say that. I thought it mentioned something about raiders though... :unsure:

It mentions that the last survivor on the bottom level has the same voice set as a raider, thats it.
MarilĂș

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't buy the argument that the guys in the 106 suits are hallucinations; the fights with the Tunnel Snakes and finding Dad everywhere... yes, those are hallucinations. So is the pristine stretch of vault. If you'll notice, all of those have a blue haze around them. None of the fights with the 106-ers have a blue haze, do they?

If you'll notice through the meager breadcrumbs (i.e. notes) left by the sane people, the origional vault inhabitants more-or-less went insane due to the gas and seemed to kill each other. If they acted just like the 106ers we see in the vault, then it's doubtful they've ever been in a state of mind to reproduce, let alone to be able to actually care for any children.

Also, looking into the GECK, not only do the 106ers sport raider voiceovers, they also sport the raider random melee equipment, and the raider melee combat AI package as well.
saharen beauty

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

But who is to say the inhabitants are insane, or maybe they are hallucinating right along with you.
I am the one to say that.
I am also the one to think that love was a key factor early down the rabbit hole.
As "Noted" in the, what looked to be a bedroom.
But then again maybe its more fun to bash heads, the blood looks black in blue.
alicia hillier

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm

I don't buy the argument that the guys in the 106 suits are hallucinations; the fights with the Tunnel Snakes and finding Dad everywhere... yes, those are hallucinations. So is the pristine stretch of vault. If you'll notice, all of those have a blue haze around them. None of the fights with the 106-ers have a blue haze, do they?

When I went into 106 and fought the Tunnel Snakes there wasn't any blue haze. Maybe they were really there!! :blink:
Austin England

Return to Fallout Series Discussion