Large Mod Compilation (Maybe)

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:53 am

I am thinking of putting together a fairly extensive mod compilation, but I first wanted to know how the community feels about something like that. Some examples would be Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. The main reason I ask, is because I don't often see mods that do similar for Morrowind.

• Do you feel a large mod compilation is acceptable?
  • How do you feel original authors rights should be handled?
  • If unable to contact a mod author, do you feel the mod should or should not be included?

I'm sure there are more relevant questions, but it's late and I'm getting tired. So please, voice any and all opinions/questions on the matter.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:52 pm

A somewhat controversial topic :hehe:

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1045089&hl=\compilation\ should give you an idea of the good-bad points, issues, and some opinions.
Catharine Krupinski

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:20 am

A somewhat controversial topic :hehe:

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1045089&hl=\compilation\ should give you an idea of the good-bad points, issues, and some opinions.

Going by that there is enough support for it (in fact a longing) but it still leaves the issue of getting enough modders consent to have their work distributed. If I were able to give the original mod authors more exposure and respect for their work it may make getting their consent easier. Many compilation mods simply have a list of peoples names if their mods/works were included and I personally feel this cheats them. There must be a way to get something like this off the ground and working in a meaningful manner as Morrowind has progressed so much in the last year or so that it would make enjoying the hard work of so many modders easier for newcomers.
Alex [AK]

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:49 am

Last month a Bitter Coast compilition was released and I'm going to try it but it seems pretty good. You can find it on PES.
Julia Schwalbe

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 am

Last month a Bitter Coast compilition was released and I'm going to try it but it seems pretty good. You can find it on PES.

Second the http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=8183. Tons o' stuff. Certainly will help to give you some ideas, even if you don't plan on using it in an actual game.
Kelly John

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:29 pm

I am thinking of putting together a fairly extensive mod compilation, but I first wanted to know how the community feels about something like that. Some examples would be Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

OOO isn't a compilation, though. It's an overhaul (as it says) in terms of completely removing the strict scaling of enemies in Oblivion to the player. Instead of the game being player-centric, it becomes place-centric. Level 10 critters exist in one cave, and down the road you may find a cave with 20th level undead. That's it's main purpose. It's not a compilation mod.

If this is what you intend to do, it could be very interesting, even though Morrowind is nowhere near as scaled as Oblivion. If this isn't what you had in mind, what do you mean? A bunch of location-oriented mods, like Balmora Expanded? Armor and weapons replacement? Or just a bit of this, a bit of that, some of this, etc? If you can make it a bit clearer what you intend, you'll get reactions that are more effective, in response.
Adrian Morales

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:28 am

I'm all for it, whether you do just a compilation, or a real overhaul. There's certainly been some demand for it in the past. But do only include mods you get permission for.
jessica robson

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:04 am

I'm all for it, whether you do just a compilation, or a real overhaul. There's certainly been some demand for it in the past. But do only include mods you get permission for.

I agree. If you have permission only then can you include them. One of those, well the author never said I couldn't will not do in this case.
Chloe Lou

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:50 am

I'd be all for it if your talking of a complete overhaul mod, although I do feel in MW one isn't really needed.
Compilation mod packs though....touchy subject.
As has been pointed out the modders permission would first have to be obtained which in itself could prove problematical when you consider the large number of modders who have now left the MW community since the original release of their mods. Another thing to consider is if you include mods still under development (MCP, MPP etc) you'd be faced with constantly checking for updates to keep your mod current.
These packs have been discussed in depth over in the Oblivion mod forum. The modders themselves overwhelming feeling is that they don't want their mods included only find themselves answering questions or facing issues with outdated or no longer supported versions of their mod.
chirsty aggas

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 am

If you can find mods that you can include, go for it. It's something that's definitely needed, at least to get new players started with modding.

However, don't expect to find a lot of mods. Too many authors have taken a Gollum stance to their work ("mine, my precious, nasty filthy [players] try to steals it") and aren't willing to share with the community anymore.
Mrs Pooh

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 am

Probably the easiest type of compilation wold be a graphical overhaul. You could do them revolving around types of mods though like a compilation for realism, quests, class specific mods, or house mods. I don't think a mod compilation of a bunch of mods that people like would be used much because there could possibly be something that conflicts with something they already use or it just has something that the DLer doesn't want.

As long as you really push it and put out front what modders made what mods I'm sure they'd accept to have it put out into a compilation.
Michael Russ

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 am

Probably the easiest type of compilation wold be a graphical overhaul. You could do them revolving around types of mods though like a compilation for realism, quests, class specific mods, or house mods. I don't think a mod compilation of a bunch of mods that people like would be used much because there could possibly be something that conflicts with something they already use or it just has something that the DLer doesn't want.

As long as you really push it and put out front what modders made what mods I'm sure they'd accept to have it put out into a compilation.

I think he's already start a w.i.p. on this.
Melanie

Return to III - Morrowind