interoir- anyway to have ambient and sunlight.

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:18 am

as the title says is there anyway to do this? i tried making heaps of lights but that didn't work and i'm stuck. isn't there a way with scripting or anything?
Len swann

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:11 pm

as the title says is there anyway to do this? i tried making heaps of lights but that didn't work and i'm stuck. isn't there a way with scripting or anything?

"Sunlight" is the default ambient light for an exterior cell. If you check the behaves as exterior cell the cell will have a sky, weather and sunlight. If this box is unchecked the cell will have ambient light, no sky and no weather. In short the answer is no. You can accomplish what you're looking to do but I'm not sure what that is.

Do you want to have a brightly lit cell with no weather that's all enclosed? You can check the behaves as exterior check box, create a new region with 100% sunny weather and assign that region to the cell.

Do you want a different sky using a sky box mesh? The solution above would work.

If the sky is an issue in your cell you can set the ambient light colors* to match those found in the morrowind.ini file though these setting will not match if the user is playing with any .ini tweaks.

*this word does not rhyme with "our" and is spelled correctly above.
Vera Maslar

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:18 pm

"Sunlight" is the default ambient light for an exterior cell. If you check the behaves as exterior cell the cell will have a sky, weather and sunlight. If this box is unchecked the cell will have ambient light, no sky and no weather. In short the answer is no. You can accomplish what you're looking to do but I'm not sure what that is.

Do you want to have a brightly lit cell with no weather that's all enclosed? You can check the behaves as exterior check box, create a new region with 100% sunny weather and assign that region to the cell.

Do you want a different sky using a sky box mesh? The solution above would work.

If the sky is an issue in your cell you can set the ambient light colors* to match those found in the morrowind.ini file though these setting will not match if the user is playing with any .ini tweaks.

*this word does not rhyme with "our" and is spelled correctly above.

ok i have an interior cell and i made the ambience and sunlight a yellow-brown colour but it's not got a sky or weather. so it's not to great, and when i turn on the behave like exteroir the ambience and sunlight go away making this: http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/wollibeebee/desert%20city/MGEScreenshot29png_small.jpg?t=1276568363
look gray and dead rather that warm and well. arabian.
CSar L

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Behave like exterior uses lighting settings based on weather, which is based on region.
What you'll need to do is either place large-radius lights to make the whole area that color or (better solution) use ambient/sun lighting and a skybox. You're probably, unless you need non-scripted dynamic weather, better off using a skybox.
Ysabelle

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:09 am

uhmmm but with a sky box thiers no day and night....... which for a assassin-thief style mod wouldn't be to nice
Mandi Norton

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:00 am

You can build a custom skybox and animate it in the mesh or script your skybox to animate, or use a hooked shader and animate that.
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:01 pm

uhmmm but with a sky box thiers no day and night....... which for a assassin-thief style mod wouldn't be to nice

That is easily scripted using multiple sky boxes. Something like the code below. Attach this to an activator in your cell. The position commands are used to move a sunlight object around (it may require a move command after positioning to get the light to work). At night just move the sun to an absurd distance bellow the ground. Alternately you could use seperate lamps for the morning day and evening sky with different color settings and move them out of the way when not in use. The process is similar to what Qarl used for the lighting in the haunted house in The Underground.

if ( hour < 5 )
night_sky_box=>enable
sun_light=>position x1, y1, z1
morning_sky_box=>disable
day_sky_box=>disable
evening_sky_box=>disable
elseif ( hour < 9 )
night_sky_box=>disable
sun_light=>position x2, y2, z2
morning_sky_box=>enable
day_sky_box=>disable
evening_sky_box=>disable
elseif ( hour < 17 )
night_sky_box=>disable
sun_light=>position x3, y3, z3
morning_sky_box=>disable
day_sky_box=>enable
evening_sky_box=>disable
elseif ( hour < 21 )
night_sky_box=>disable
sun_light=>position x4, y4, z4
morning_sky_box=>disable
day_sky_box=>disable
evening_sky_box=>enable
else
night_sky_box=>enable
sun_light=>position x, y, z
morning_sky_box=>disable
day_sky_box=>disable
evening_sky_box=>disable
endIf
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:14 pm

lol well i'm an idiot when it comes to scripting so i'll try to read scripting for dummies before i do some thing like that. :facepalm:

but i think it would be cool like this:
at day the lamps give of a yellow-brown colour
than at night they turn grayish

it would make it really immersive

i'm already using my own lamps with a sperate id (i thought ahead) so could i apply that script to the lights and some how make it they change colour...... i hardly understand all this and i'm sure i'm confusing you. :violin:
Zualett

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 am

For buildings with windows, I pretty much exclusively set the "interiors behaving as exteriors" flag, and then touch up here and there with lights. Keep in mind, you may need 'dark lights' in places. I find the lighting to be very good using this method, though sometimes ceilings can be a bit too bright - hence the dark lights. Lightning effects work the same as always.

In order to track weather effects, I use scripts to adjust the internal "weather" between sunny, cloudy, and overcast - which pretty much covers the lighting for any weather. (sunny -> sunny, cloudy -> cloudy, everything else -> overcast)

Keep in mind, teleporting can screw this system up slightly, until the next time you use a load door.
Hot

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Set DuringTheDay To 0if ( GameHour > 6 )    if ( GameHour < 22 )        Set DuringTheDay To 1    endifendifif ( DuringTheDay )    "sun"->SetPos Z 500    "moon"->SetPos Z -5000else    "moon"->SetPos Z 500    "sun"->SetPos Z -5000endif

Not optimized or anything, but there's the basics for you. There's plenty more you can do with it, like turning on street lights and changing out the skybox, but hopefully that'll help you understand the basics. :)
Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:08 pm

For buildings with windows, I pretty much exclusively set the "interiors behaving as exteriors" flag, and then touch up here and there with lights. Keep in mind, you may need 'dark lights' in places. I find the lighting to be very good using this method, though sometimes ceilings can be a bit too bright - hence the dark lights. Lightning effects work the same as always.

In order to track weather effects, I use scripts to adjust the internal "weather" between sunny, cloudy, and overcast - which pretty much covers the lighting for any weather. (sunny -> sunny, cloudy -> cloudy, everything else -> overcast)

Keep in mind, teleporting can screw this system up slightly, until the next time you use a load door.

i'll take that into mind, so in house's in the city i could make them have the same weather and look the same? i dont quite understand but from what i understand is that u make your interiors match the exteriors ambience and lighting with scripts right? lol...what scripts do this?

Set DuringTheDay To 0if ( GameHour > 6 )    if ( GameHour < 22 )        Set DuringTheDay To 1    endifendifif ( DuringTheDay )    "sun"->SetPos Z 500    "moon"->SetPos Z -5000else    "moon"->SetPos Z 500    "sun"->SetPos Z -5000endif

Not optimized or anything, but there's the basics for you. There's plenty more you can do with it, like turning on street lights and changing out the skybox, but hopefully that'll help you understand the basics. :)

so.....i'd apply this script to the lights and then......read scripting for dummies :huh: i'll do some test to see what that does and how to edit it

WAIT i just got it:
with that script i'd have two lights one for day one for night add the script to both of them (make one for day one for night) put them in the same place so they switch every evening/morning
am i getting this? :celebration:
Katy Hogben

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Original MW has three types of lights: 1. common settings for cells (TESCS cell options); 2. lights objects including “dark” light, see TESCS “lights” panel. 3. nif specific lights, these lights unlike the first two work only within one nif on meshes that are in this nif (e.g. sky boxes/hemispheres nifs). The result is achieved via combination of all three light types (by trial and error). 2 and 3 might contain multiple instances in a cell or nif.

:)
Harinder Ghag

Return to III - Morrowind