I want to make a "trap disarm" mod

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:13 am

I've long wanted to see a mod where you could disarm traps. I even posted the idea awhile back as a request, but no one bit. Having nothing better to do with my free time, I decided to sit down and learn scripting so I could do it myself. I'm not sure if this is too big a project for someone like me to take on, though - I've been reading the CS Wiki, but I can't find a whole lot on variable definitions (you know, what all the variables do), though I did find some stuff on trap variables.

What I want to do is fairly simple in concept (I think): You walk up to a trap, equip a lockpick (the universal thieves' tool), and attempt to disarm the trap. This would require the animations from Zumb's Lockpicking Mod, since he has one where you "attack" the lock with a pick instead of going through the minigame. At any rate, you have a chance of disabling the trap based on your Security skill and Luck score; if the check succeeds, the trap is disabled (the script doesn't fire, and the animation doesn't occur, if applicable). If the check fails, either nothing happens, or you set the trap off (this depends on the type of trap, really - in most cases, nothing would happen, since it only affects the player if he's standing on the trap). I want to have a variable chance of success based on the trap's size (a simple pressure plate is a lot easier than a huge pit trap); some traps (like the pile of logs that you can push) can't be disarmed. This would be related to the number of attempts you make to disarm it - the greater the number, the greater the chance to set it off.

Additional functions I'd like to add:

Compatibility for OOO's chest traps. Disabling a spell effect would require Security + Mysticism instead of Security + Luck (Mysticism because of dispel spells).

Compatibility for Zumb's: Currently, you can pick an OOO trapped chest without worrying about the trap. I want to make it so that unless you open the chest with the proper key (which is very rare), there's a chance that the trap will go off. As with disarming traps, the more attempts you make, the greater the chance of setting it off.

I've got some ideas on how to do all this, from reading the CS Wiki, but I'm wondering: Is there a way to prevent the vanilla trap scripts from firing, and if so, how easily can it be done?
john palmer

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:43 am

IIRC, most vanilla traps can be disarmed as it is. OOO's too.
Angel Torres

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 am

How? I know ropes can be snapped, but you can't disarm any Ayleid traps. I forgot you can disarm OOO traps, though.
m Gardner

Return to IV - Oblivion