Using "activate" To Steal An Item

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:05 am

Hello everyone.

Basically, I would like to know what effect calling the following command would have:

SomeObjectRef.Activate player
In this case, SomeObjectRef is a potion that belongs to someone else (ie player is stealing it).

Would this contribute to the number of items the player has stolen on the character info page?
If the player is detected when this command is called, would NPCs do normal "player has been caught stealing" interactions (ie report to guards, attack player, etc)?
electro_fantics

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Yes.But this method doesn't clean up the item reference. You'll have to manually call SomeObjectRef.disable; otherwise, you'll end up with two instances of it - One in your inventory and the other in the world.
Katie Pollard

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:01 pm

So calling that command would be handled the same way as a normal theft? I thought as much. Thank you for your help ShadeMe.
michael danso

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:33 am

Yes.But this method doesn't clean up the item reference. You'll have to manually call SomeObjectRef.disable; otherwise, you'll end up with two instances of it - One in your inventory and the other in the world.

Didn't see your edit when I made my reply.

That isn't really a problem for me. Basically, what I have is a potion dispenser which the player can activate to take some potion from it. The thing is that the potion dispenser is owned by someone else so I wanted to have it so that activating the dispenser (and hence getting some potion from it) would be counted as stealing.

So my idea was a potion bottle hidden out of sight that the player activates when the dispenser is activated. Potion belongs to someone else so calling Activate on it would count as stealing. I was then planning on calling PlaceAtMe to spawn another bottle of potion for the next time the player activates the dispenser but if what you say is correct, does that mean I can just reuse the same bottle of potion for every time the player uses the dispenser?
Adrian Morales

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:00 pm

In all probability, yes. But you never know until you try it out.
Chantel Hopkin

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Okay then, I'll give it a try. Thanks again for the help.
Greg Swan

Return to IV - Oblivion