Nuclear winter expansion

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm

I watched the Day After Tomorrow tonight after not seeing it for a while and thought about Fallout 3. Turning the entire or partial of the Northern Hemisphere into an all out winter environment would create an amazing gameplay experience. Not only trying to servive the radiation but possible the cold too. New appael and weapons come into to play as well. Even the thought of new creatures and mutants change but the cold environment. I wish there was some way to talk to Fallout 3 support with this idea. I could brainstorm like crazy. The movie is alright, but if you watch it again you start to see all the possibles when it comes to your surroundings and gear. I have so many ideas it would take me forever to talk about. Please share any thoughts on this subject.
ONLY ME!!!!

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Well, go ahead. Make a mod.

It it imossible that Bethesda could hear you, however, there is no evidence that a single person's idea has affected a video game's design and outcome.
Plus, copying the idea from a movie is not a great idea for a mass-market video game.

I myself am making a mod into my other favourite game, based on ideas I got from watching several Sci-fi movies, so if you know anything about coding, or if the Fallout 2 Editor allows, you can try making a mod based on your ideas. It might need cracking the .exe, and if it does it's illegal to publish the mod.
Michelle Chau

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:53 pm

I watched the Day After Tomorrow tonight after not seeing it for a while and thought about Fallout 3. Turning the entire or partial of the Northern Hemisphere into an all out winter environment would create an amazing gameplay experience. Not only trying to servive the radiation but possible the cold too. New appael and weapons come into to play as well. Even the thought of new creatures and mutants change but the cold environment. I wish there was some way to talk to Fallout 3 support with this idea. I could brainstorm like crazy. The movie is alright, but if you watch it again you start to see all the possibles when it comes to your surroundings and gear. I have so many ideas it would take me forever to talk about. Please share any thoughts on this subject.

Some would point out that 'Nuclear Winter' isnt 'SCIENCE!' friendly, but I think the Fallout world should be open to the possibility of it. I was mulling over a storyline for a Fallout 3 mod that would take place in southeast New Hampshire (my home area) just a few years after the bombs dropped, where the world in that area is covered in snow and trees (less nuclear devastation and more breakdown of society).
Makenna Nomad

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:00 pm

Isn't Bethesda accomplishing much of this with the Anchorage DLC?
kasia

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Isn't Bethesda accomplishing much of this with the Anchorage DLC?

this.
ONLY ME!!!!

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:09 am

Think he means, most of the Tile sets and enviroments of DLC anchorage will be a huge boon to someone modding in a winterized wasteland. The actual DLC will be about the liberation of Anchorage Battle Simulation. Course I could be wrong.
cosmo valerga

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Alright, sorry if I have been out of the loop but what is DLC. Is modding capablitity even able to create the effects where a winterized wasteland could harm you from being how cold it is. Plus what about freezing storms. Just the fact of a world being more filled with natural diseaters.
Think he means, most of the Tile sets and enviroments of DLC anchorage will be a huge boon to someone modding in a winterized wasteland. The actual DLC will be about the liberation of Anchorage Battle Simulation. Course I could be wrong.

Kill Bill

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 pm

DLC are official plug-ins. The first one Bethesda releases is set in Alaska. You don't travel there physically, it's a simulation, but as Ouamd points out this will give modders a lot of resources for making arctic/winter locations.

I don't imagine Bethesda is including freezing in the DLC, it's action-oriented instead of survival-oriented. I also don't know how easy it would be to script something like this, where certain clothing lessens/prevents freezing. Perhaps if the mod is particularly popular they'll consider a colder environment for the next game. Alaska again, or maybe Canada. Even Russia could work, it's one of the few places outside of the US that has a strong connection to the 50s Americana used in the setting.
Code Affinity

Return to Fallout Series Discussion