Silent Protagonist?

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:28 pm

No voice. This way I can RP and get into the character. I hate it when game characters have voices like they never hit puberty or have a glottis cancer (Morrowind Dark Elves anyone?)
WYatt REed

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am

Silent.

I've played ME, and ME2. Bioware should be happy they hired Jen Hale for femShep; I like her voice. Not necessarily how some of the dialogue is delivered, but her voice. [the pick a hint and hpe you get dialogue close to what you want dialogue wheel is a whole nother discussion] MaleShep, on the other hand, never made it off the Normandy in ME. I could *not* *stand* his voice. Which is strange since other character he plays don't bother me, but I can't stand maleShep. If there hadn't been a femShep option I'd have never looked at the game due to maleShep's voice. I had one maleShep in ME2 to see the default no-import choices. Never came close to finishing even half of the game.

One of the things I enjoyed in DA:O was the "traditional" direction for the game. Including the silent pc. Due to some of the changes they're making in DA2, including the voiced pc, I don't think I'll be getting the game.
lolli

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:07 am

Absolutely prefer silence. Look at how much dialogue in general has to be cut down when you voice NPC's, if you voice the main character you'll likely end up cutting it in half a second time.
maya papps

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:28 am

Silent

If only because I don't trust Bethesda with casting someone for the main voice of your character. Don't even get me started on what kind of dialogue the poor bastard would have to endure.
Toby Green

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:24 am

Silent. I really prefer to rely on my imagination when it comes to the sound of my character's voice.
Rinceoir

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:40 pm

I want to remain silent, but have much more of a say in what I do. I mean more dialogue choices.
Sophie Morrell

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Wouldn't mind a conversation like Mass Effect at all...
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:35 am

I want mine silent. This is an RPG where you create your own character. Aside from maybe picking from some action sounds, I don't ever want to hear my character talk. Espically with the different races and accents of the races (me being the Khajiit I am), I don't wanna hear it.
[Bounty][Ben]

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:49 am

Definitely a silent character
It's a role-playing game after all.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:40 pm

or the PC from two worlds who felt the need to comment on the rain whenever it was raining!

I

Lets not forget the classics...

"Drip drip drop."

and we can't forget when you are fighting a giant spider...

"They look like my in-laws!"

By far the worst voice-overs I have ever heard in a game to date.

Let Mass Effect be Mass Effect!

Let Skyrim be Skyrim!
Rachael Williams

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:37 am

Silent.

However, there should be multiple dialog options that convey different emotion/motives. Kind of like the different dialog options in old DnD computer games, where responses could be "evil", "neutral" "chaotic" etc, and the NPCs would respond accordingly, as if your character had spoken aloud.

What I did not like about TESIV was that there was only a word of phrase for me to select. There was no option for different intonation. "Give me some info!" vs. "Do you know anything about this town?" Or "I'm sorry for your loss" vs. "Wow, svcks to be you, huh?"
FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:08 am

I support silent protagonist.

He is very self-conscious about his lack of vocal chords.
Arnold Wet

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Definitely silent. I mean, the grunts of pain and such already kinda make me cringe sometimes when I hear them; I created an argonian character who, in my mind, was around seventeen and had a smooth, quiet voice, so it became really immersion-breaking whenever he ended up in combat and it sounded like he had the worst sore throat in Tamrielic history. That's what the 'Silent Player Voice' mods are there for, though.
Avril Louise

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:08 pm

No voice for me. There would be too many lines...
Connie Thomas

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Even Bioware acknowledges inability for you to have a fully voiced character when you have so much creative freedom over them. In Dragon Age 1, you are silent aside from getting to choose your combat voice. Dragon Age 2, you play as an established fully voiced character.

Oblivion has far too many customization options and, if implemented, people would demand more customization for the voices. "I like playing as a Dunmer, but my character is supposed to be from Vvardenfell and he has a gruff voice like those Dunmer." "I like playing a Dunmer male as well, but I want mine to sound British and Cyrodiilic." "Why can't my Imperial guy have a voice like a Nord? You can't sound like a tough guy if you're from the empire?
STEVI INQUE

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:51 am

Samus from Other M in my TES?

No thank you. :P

Besides that, I imagine having a vocal protagonist would make it hard to shape the character exactly how you want them to be.
OJY

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim