How to sell high-priced items I don't need

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 am

I've got a commandeered home in Balmora brimming over with loot I can't sell. Because much of it is well over 5,000 I can't find a way to unload it without basically trading a shop's whole inventory for one item and finding places to pawn that stuff off on.

Inside this home, storage chests have limited capacity.

Any advice?
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Some people consider this a cheat, but I use Creeper for situations like this. If you're unfamiliar with him, he is a domesticated scamp who lives in the large manor in Caldera across from the nord armorer. He has 5,000 gold and pays full price for weapons, armor, and potions. He won't buy ingredients or books or just about anything else. He does, however, buy dwemer stuff, including the coins, which is one of the best ways to easily get your gold back by the barter system, because there are so many coins in the game, and they are all worth 50 gold each. So, when you've sold him a couple of hundred, you can just do the math in your head, buy back the number you need to balance out the transaction, then sell them back in sets of 100 each.

There is also a mudcrab that you can interact with who functions just like creeper, but has 10,000 gold. Only problem with him is that he lives on an island to the East of Vivec, but is not really close to anything else, so you have to constantly search him out, or permanently keep a 'mark' spell at his location, limiting the use of the spell, so I just don't bother with him. Besides, half of the time I kill him by accident without thinking about it when I'm down his way.
Riky Carrasco

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Yeah, I found Creeper....it's still a bunch of running back and forth. I've just started letting stuff pile up on my balcony.

If they're going to limit how much gold any merchant carries, they should have thought twice about giving loot with insanely high values.
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Yeah, I found Creeper....it's still a bunch of running back and forth. I've just started letting stuff pile up on my balcony.

If they're going to limit how much gold any merchant carries, they should have thought twice about giving loot with insanely high values.

Always hated the 80K swords you can find but even Muddy only has 10K gold to trade you then you have to be creative or just miss out on the extra funds. If you are on a PC I would suggest looking for a rich creeper mod or something like that to increase a vendor's gold. I also use the console to place Muddy in my house. Some would call it a cheat I just call it a time saver.
Amber Ably

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Always hated the 80K swords you can find but even Muddy only has 10K gold to trade you then you have to be creative or just miss out on the extra funds. If you are on a PC I would suggest looking for a rich creeper mod or something like that to increase a vendor's gold. I also use the console to place Muddy in my house. Some would call it a cheat I just call it a time saver.

You can also make them follow you with a Command Creature spell. Thus they'll follow you around, provided they aren't already over-encumbered. I've heard some people have taken Muddy to their homes. :D Though it can be pain and require stuff like Water Walk on Target and Heal Companion and such as well. Fortify Speed also comes handy if you want to make a mudcrab move anywhere... Those aren't cheating, right?
Anthony Rand

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Or you could sell them all at a normal merchant and then use the console command to give yourself the gold you would've had if you spent 20 minutes sorting it out.
Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Or you could sell them all at a normal merchant and then use the console command to give yourself the gold you would've had if you spent 20 minutes sorting it out.

That doesn't quite feel as satisfying...but effective. (And for some reason I had never thought of that.)
Lovingly

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Better yet, is there a patch that gives the merchants a heck of a lot more gold?

You'd think as you level up, merchants would have more because you're getting more leveled loot.
Shelby McDonald

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I've got a commandeered home in Balmora brimming over with loot I can't sell. Because much of it is well over 5,000 I can't find a way to unload it without basically trading a shop's whole inventory for one item and finding places to pawn that stuff off on.

Inside this home, storage chests have limited capacity.

Any advice?

Short answer: there's no easy way, by design.

Some mods put in merchants with ridiculous amounts of gold per day, and Tribunal eased up by bunching a few rich merchants real close together. In vanilla, you can try to match your bargaining against http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ababael_Timsar-Dadisun (9000gp), which is the game's way of telling you that it's not actually intended to be played with Creeper and Mudcrab.
james reed

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:35 pm

A big thanks to JH2011 who PMed me a possible solution....I'll post up on how it works. :celebration:

Spoiler
If you're playing using the pc, an earlier poster mentioned several mods doing what you want. If you haven't used the Construction Set before and are adventuresome, here is a step by step set of instructions I found and use to give Creeper more gold:

1. Launch The Elder Scrolls Construction Set.
2. Click on the open folder icon called Load Master/Plugin Files.
3. Double-click the check box next to Morrowind.esm.
4. Click on the OK button.
5.The Construction Set (CS) will now load Morrowind.esm.
6.Click on the Creature tab in the Object window.
7. Scroll down to find the listing called scamp_creeper.
8. Double-click on the name scamp_creeper.
9. Click on the AI button.
10. Click on the Services tab.
11. Edit the Barter Gold value
12. Click on the Save button under AI Data - scamp_creeper.
13. Click on the other Save button under Creature.
14. Click on the diskette icon button to open the Select Target Plugin window.
15. Enter a unique file name, such as RichCreeper.
16. Click on the Save button next to this new file name.
17. Click on the main menu's File heading.
18. Click on Exit.
19. Launch Morrowind, but stop at the main menu (don't select Play yet).
20. Click on Data Files in the main menu.
21. Double-click the check box next to your new plugin.
22. Click on OK.
23. Click on Play in the main menu

John

Flash

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Instead of piling your stuff up at home, leave it in piles at the Mournhold merchants. The armorer and 'trader' both have lots of gold. No matter where you are, you can just use Bralizar's mazed band and be a few steps from their shops. Works best in conjunction with mark/recall.
Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:05 am

Instead of piling your stuff up at home, leave it in piles at the Mournhold merchants. The armorer and 'trader' both have lots of gold. No matter where you are, you can just use Bralizar's mazed band and be a few steps from their shops. Works best in conjunction with mark/recall.

That's an option after you do the Tribunal sub-quest. The Construction Set edit suggestion worked fine. Gave Scamp 100,000 gold and this made it easy to unload all the high-priced non-special items and de-clutter my home. I did consider editing the merchant gold quantity in every major town (or even just Balmora), but so far Scamp does it well enough as it is now.
Rudi Carter

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Well besides the aforementioned creeper I don't have any ideas, but I was the same way with loot
I had the sleeping area of the Balmora mages guild filled with a full suit of every armor even from the add-ons
every daedric weapon, tons of high level captured souls, all kinds of crazy powerful weapons including the
ones you get from each of the daedric gods, and all my gold in a huge pile it was awesome
Bones47

Return to III - Morrowind