Are some enchanted items overpowered?

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:34 pm

The item I have in mind specifically is Gothren's Cephalopod Helm. All I need to do to defeat any enemy is summon the Dremora and wait, maybe casting a few spells to help him out. Then all I have to do is wait for the item to recharge. I haven't adjusted the difficulty slider yet, but I could easily respawn the daedra five or six times. Then in no time at all it's ready to go again. I'll put up the difficulty slider and try it again, but my question was basically: is it normal that I find them overpowered?
christelle047

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:14 am

Some are unbalanced, sure.
But most of them are not just laying around for anyone to grab. In this case, you have to have been progressing through the Telvanni quests to get it.
You can always create your own roleplaying limitations, to make it more difficult.

There are quite a few different mods that attempt to balance these type of things in the game.
benjamin corsini

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:17 am

No.

Balance of enchanted items is a non-issue in a single player game.

You can always opt not to use it.

Ive never used Gothren's helm. I dont like how it looks.
Lillian Cawfield

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:50 am

I can't just choose not to use it, that totally destroys the immersion. Why would anyone in the real world want to make their life more difficult? Gothren's helm is a Telvanni Cephalopod Helm, by the way.

But nevertheless I try to use spells as much as possible rather than always resorting to my powerful enchanted items.
Beat freak

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 am

Yes. Most enchanted/unique items are overpowered.

Spoiler

I think of the http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Slave_Rebellion or the http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Lady%27s_Ring and of course the http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Royal_Signet_Ring#Royal_Signet_Ring

There are mods to address this issue though.
Rachel Hall

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Sure some items are overpowering. Maybe increase the difficulty.
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 pm

The problem comes when such items are easily obtained. For most of such overpowered items, by the time you get them, you probably don't really need them. There are a notorious few, however, which are easily gotten, practically right off the boat. That's the down side of having "fixed" items: players will find all sorts of elaborate schemes to get them, once they know where they are. I still prefer that to the bland and boring approach in OB, where everything is adjusted to your level, and it really doesn't matter what you do or where you go, because it's the same "bovine manure" as everywhere else.

My characters rarely bother with things like the BOBS, because if they DO take the time to do the mini-quest, they're put off by the "other side" of the enchantment. It's only when they reach relatively high levels that I consider them knowledgable enough to figure out how to get past that. Taunting and killing for Glass or Dwemer armor at L1, or other such exploits, are just bad for gameplay. While it's actually a GOOD thing that they're possible (for those who like to powergame or just to try out the possibilities), especially at mid or higher levels, I think it's too easy to do so at low level.

The other bad point is that many of the in-game enchantments aren't possible to create within the limits of the system, no matter how far you abuse it. Simply put, they won't fit. That's not good design, sorry.
Hilm Music

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:38 am

If you're pretty bad at the game like me, then the overpowered items can save a lot of stress by making apparently impossible tasks possible until you're good enough to fight your way around the 'impossible' tasks without the help. The problem is that some people never stop using them even when they are good enough and start complaining that the game is too easy when they could simply challenge themselves by not using their 'Belt of Uberlicious Invincibility Mode' or whatever.

I also agree with the last thing Kovacius said, it makes no sense that ingame items contain far bigger enchantments than can actually be made. It'd make more sense if higher levels of enchant meant you could fit more into an item, justifying the impossible items. That'd be even more broken than some of the stuff that can already be found/made but that's the sort of thing that can happen when you have to choose between making sense and being balanced.
NeverStopThe

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:03 am

Amulet of Shadows... Aryon's Helper... hell, even Jinkblades, but that's really more like the balance of paralysis cost being a little wonky... yeah, there's a lot. But again, one player, so balance can eat it.
Mariaa EM.

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 am

A *lot* of them are overpowered. And 99% of the ones that aren't are instead grossly underpowered.

So, I made a mod that edits nearly every enchantment in the game, among quite a few other things.
sophie

Return to III - Morrowind