Real Modding, on a Grand Scale

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:54 am

Right now Bethesda games are absolutley amazing with their add ons, mods and so fourth. What is already a 100+ hour experience becomes theoreticially infinite. The only gripe with the system, in my opinon, is through all these great mods and all the amazing support they get, through the construction set and GECK, there is still a major organisation issue. I recently downloaded a mod for Fallout 3, called Fallout Winter Edition, which replaced all the textures of fallout with snowy ones, very cool, until i realized it caused megaton and paradise falls to crash to desktop, and ruined many other great mods as well, such as Fellout and FOWE, making the textures and areas ruined. I tried to uninstall the mod, but couldn't, it had replaced all the previous textures with its snowy ones. I had to reinstall Fallout 3...
But thats beside the point, this is about The Elder Scrolls, not Fallout, and that served as just an example. I say that, THe Elder Scrolls, being what it is, the best game series ever, deserves some things in the future:
1: A dedicated mod server provided by bethesda for clean mods, run by bethesda.
2: A compatability system for mods, where the game, or the mods will know what other mods directly interfere with the particular mods, and alert the user of problems this will cause.
3: A safe foolproof system to send user made mods to Console owners, sharing the love!
Any other ideas should be said here.
Dawn Porter

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 pm

#1 would limit the mods that some people would use unnecessarily.

#2 already exists in the form of OBMM and Wrye Bash.

#3 is not in Beth's power to make happen, Sony and Microsoft do not allow third party content on their consoles, and have made it very clear that it will never happen.
Joey Avelar

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:39 am

I suppose the first one could be done, but since there already are third party websites for sharing mods, and definately will be for future games as well, I'm not sure Bethesda would want to take on the extra bandwidth needed to run such a server.

As to the second one, modders will of course make their own programs for this, but I am assuming you mean incorperating such functionality into the actual game or its launcher? That might be convenient, but I'm not sure that Bethesda would go that far for mods, after all, releasing an editor for the game for free is already more than many games do for modding. Also, my pessimistic side says that if it happens, it probably wouldn't function that well and modders would end up making their own third party program for it anyway.

As to the last one, I don't think that's something Bethesda can do, if the companies that release the consoles don't allow third party content on them, there's no way Bethesda can allow user made mods to be transfered to them.
Manuel rivera

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 am

This would do just fine in the http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1065099 thanks.
Jessica Nash

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion