Vanilla for me

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Correct. They have a lot of useful fixes for new players but I remember there are a few things about each package that I don't care for/don't use. A small example of this is the unarmored fix. While great for people who want to use that skill, I never do unless by accident or at low levels. Even my mages wear some sort of light armor and carry repair hammers.

Then you'll be happy to know that the Code Patch features are all optional. That's what I like about it. http://i52.tinypic.com/10rifbr.jpg's the interface.
Fixes for Savegame Corruption and Delayed Spell Crash are interesting, to say the least.

Concerning mods in general, I can understand since I tend to be picky myself. If you ever consider modding though, you can be sure you'll find plenty of amazing mods to expand your game.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

i use a mostly vanilla game, except i get a fer essential mods (official mods pack, accurate attacks, better bodies, better clothes) and thats all i have right now, oh and Vurt's Ashland Overhaul.
Lalla Vu

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am

ive played the game so much that i felt like i needed mods to make it fresh again
matt oneil

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm

I very rarely use content adding mods. I only use visual enhancing mods as well as small but important tweaks. I think the only content adding mod I have right now is Indy's bank, but I plan on removing it the next time I play because like many other content adding mods, it just doesnt fit my style.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:01 pm

I prefer vanilla, but visually tweaked and MCP/UMP/MGE'd. From the dialoge screenshots I've read on content-adding mod download pages, you can obviously tell it's not 100% in the style of the original game... which some people have no problem with. To each his own.
Nikki Lawrence

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:56 am

I once played Morrowind with 52 mods, it i I end up deleting all them since I was so addicted getting mods I forgot about the game so before I do anything I design my characters and create there background before I do anything then I select mods that would be appropriate for them other mods like trivial dragon mounts or nudity packs aren't really necessary.
quinnnn

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Is there anyone else out there who can't bring themselves to use non-vanilla content or am I just crazy?

I'm right there with you.

Then again, I'm playing GOTY on a regular ol' Xbox. Still, vanilla all the way!
elliot mudd

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 am

I remember when I got the PC version of Morrowind, I couldn't wait to use mods. However when I finally installed them, they just didn't feel right. So I agree with the OP in that I prefere a vanilla Morrowind. The one exception to this rule is Tamriel Rebuilt's mods (They are just so well done and seem to fit Morrowind's style). :)
Nathan Hunter

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm also playing without mods, and the reason for this is just because they feel out of place.There are some really amazing mods out there tho.I've actually installed Morrowind yet again yestarday, and I'm planning to go through the main quest.Just to prepare for Skyrim, because I have high hopes and think that it's gonna be kick ass.Little bit of nostalgia won't heart either.
Kari Depp

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 pm

I tend to use mods on some things that don't feel right in the game. I usually get these ideas by reading a mod's description: it's either some unnecessary boost or really an update that feels good. For example, while rising in a faction's ranks you get to involve in their politics: you convince someone to join, kill the one who's against you, bring them some supplies, etc. The faction has life in it, has a meaning. Then, when you're finally on the top of the chain, the faction's movements just... stop! When you've finally become the boss, you suddenly cannot create those political events anymore! You suddenly cannot give chores to the lower ranked members even though you still got plenty of them when you were their rank. The mods that do something to this "faction freezing" once you're the highest rank feel very natural to me, as if factions of Morrowind were supposed to have life in them even after you're on top of them. ;)
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 am

Hello. I have always played vanilla Morrowind, mods never have tempted me, I play the game 100% like Bethesda made it
Anna S

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:06 am

I have the same problem, if have such good memories about Morrowind that it feels almost sacred and I don't want to ruin it.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 pm

played vanilla for quite some time,was ok with that,but after you have gone the "mod-way" there is no return.

I do have a sort of clean install with only bb,one visual pack,one face pack,but going back to original entirely is out of the question.
My play-install is full of them mods,change after what I′m in the mood for,vampire-mods and such for example.
That depends entirely what experience I′m after with that character,if I′m undecided I′m going all in with them mods :D

I have a fairly elaborate graphics update with MGE and a few shaders and the most common texture packs - and fixes, but after testing my own little mod on a much more close-to vanilla install for a few days, I'm seriously considering reverting to vanilla textures. Ideally close to vanilla + a bit more high res - if I can ever find a good qualifier. Then I'll probably use Morrowind FPS optimizer as well for the added draw distance. The thing is, with all these mods it seems hard to get them coherent enough, I mean, vanilla seems much more fluent in style... everything fits together... and funnily enough I find myself likeing the rather low-def cartoonish (?) style more now than I did before I started modding the graphics... I guess I've gotten too accustomed to the modded version for it to really matter anymore compared to its drawbacks like for instance a more bland/whitish colour scheme at sunset (with sunshaft shader) and the more plastic feel... so yeah... I'm about to fall asleep on my keyboard... I'll give my dilemma some rest :P
Charity Hughes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

I'm seriously considering reverting to vanilla textures.

I no longer use texture mods. Vanilla textures look great. In fact I've stopped using graphics mods altogether. Morrowind's graphics have style and personality and charm. The only graphics mod I feel is necessary for Morrowind is a face mod for the player.
jessica Villacis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:36 am

. everything fits together...

I get that,it doesn′t fit all the time with different packs for everything between heaven and earth,replacers for skies,grass,trees,regions and what not,oh signs too.
To get one that is only higher res,haven′t found one my self, and it is hard to avoid seams when one general pack meet an individual or regional pack no matter how good they are on their own.
For MGE I just have some bloom on it,and fog, got an overdose of fancy effects when I tried enb,was simply too much.Still want a facepack though,original faces aint that pretty ;)
btw one doesn′t get clashes if only use one general replacer,but it gets out of controll,like ohh pretty grass, I wanna,pretty trees, yes give me and on and on and on :D

The only graphics mod I feel is necessary for Morrowind is a face mod for the player.

yes,without one there is one or two breton faces that might work for me in a pinch,hard time to pick one pack since it is so many good ones out thanks to the face modders :celebration:
Kevin S

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 am

First time I played through, the only 'mod' I used was the unofficial patch which corrects some mistakes. When I restarted play recently I have added several mods to make the game feel new again. In past games, I would start again and get bored as I knew what would happen and what bad guys were in caves and such. The ones I added created new areas that brought back the freshness of the game for me. One added new monsters. I got that little twinge when I first saw it in the distance---what is that? Am I strong enough to fight it? I hope it doesn't see me. Same with some of the new areas. It just added a new dimension for me. And a couple fo the feature enhancers (better graphics) only add appeal to the place. But I don't use any odd mods (mods that have no place in MW ---ex. laser guns) or mods that unbalance the game.
Nick Jase Mason

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 am

As much as I admire THE modders of Morrowind, I can't help myself but I had the most fun with unmodded Morrowind.
First I got only Morrowind, I didn't even know there are things like plugins, and I had the most fun with the game. Then I bought GOTY, and again... I didn't miss any plugin. Then I tried some, many times but... it's just about hoping it won't screw your game etc. So then I played nearly unmodded GOTY (I just used some minor plugins) and the game was actually enjoyable for me. I even like the original faces the most, I find Better Heads ugly, altough I have seen some pretty faces in some plugins.

So, yeah, vanilla is the way...
katie TWAVA

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am

The first time I played Morrowind I said I would play it un-modded.
About 3 hours later I downloaded Better Bodies & Better Heads. :rolleyes:
Even still I said I would at least aim to play it through without anything else, at least once. After I had defeated Dagoth Ur at Red Mountain I started downloading new clothes & armor & as many additional quest mods as I could find.

I still avoid "cheat" mods and having tried a great many mods that added people and races and places and had loads of awesome adventures I am now back with a fairly lore-friendly set of mods, which would include mods that fix bugs and correct issues I did not like with the vanilla game (e.g. much of the textures are too fuzzy on a modern computer).

Honest truth: I don't think I would still play Morrowind if it wasn't for the mods, but I do enjoy it more by keeping it as close to original as possible.
Kahli St Dennis

Previous

Return to III - Morrowind