Should I reinstall Morrowind?

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 pm

I am an Oblivion player, and started playing Oblivion on the 360. Then I bought Morrowind for the computer, but never really played it. Then I got Oblivion for the computer, which is far better, only because of mods and better graphics. Now with the upcoming release of Skyrim, I am contemplating whether or not I should reinstall Morrowind and complete it. I also was contemplating getting Daggerfall and Arena, but I can't find where to download them anymore ever since the ES site was upgraded for Skyrim.
Ive heard Morrowind is better than Oblivion, and I plan to download mods to improve Morrowind, but Im consulting the community for the answer to the question: "Should I even bother?"
Elina

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Morrowind, apart from the graphics, is superior to Oblivion in every way, and deserved to be Game of the Year 2003. Seriously, reinstall it and complete. One of the best RPGs of all time.
Jeffrey Lawson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 am

When you can make it look like http://www.invision.tesalliance.org/forums/uploads/1293328873/med_gallery_108_44_1171718.jpg? Why not?
Theodore Walling

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 am

When you can make it look like http://www.invision.tesalliance.org/forums/uploads/1293328873/med_gallery_108_44_1171718.jpg? Why not?

Morrowind
Setup Complete
Katie Pollard

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am

I'll warn you now, coming from playing Oblivion, you're going to be annoyed by: the combat, the animations, the graphics and the fact that NPC's do not have radiant AI, and therefore generally stand in the same place all the time. Only one of these things can be fixed with mods (as far as I know).

These are the things that kept me away from Morrowind for so long as well. However, I basically was in the exact same situation as you, and I also decided to reinstall Morrowind a couple weeks ago and I have been having a whole bunch of fun with it since then. I really can't explain why, I think it's just the atmosphere and the immersion of the game overall.

So I say, if you're willing to look past the things I mentioned above, give Morrowind another try. I did and I can definitely say it was worth it.
City Swagga

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:34 pm

A helpful guideline for people who are used to Oblivion: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players

If you don't mind those changes, then you're going to have a lot of fun!

And, yes. Morrowind looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wrMWKSTspk&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KibLnMpR1I&feature=related now! amazing! (those show the vast diversity in Morrowind)
Ross Zombie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 am

Morrowind, apart from the graphics, is superior to Oblivion in every way, and deserved to be Game of the Year 2003. Seriously, reinstall it and complete. One of the best RPGs of all time.

Don't go into the game believing this. However, yes, I would recommend playing it, but just don't believe all of this. It is, like anything else, an opinion, and one I disagree very strongly with. I expected this going into Morrowind because of the people telling me to, and it led to disappointment. Morrowind is a great game, but the usual "Oblivion only has some technical improvevements" claim is very subjective.
tannis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 am

I got Morrowind for my birthday recently and will be installing it shortly. I want to experience it and learn more about the lore before Skyrim. I can't imagine it being better than Oblivion but I'm willing to keep an open mind. I just finished Fallout New Vegas and people are always comparing with Fallout3 but I love them both. I want to be sure to install Morrowing in the right place too so it won't be glitchy. I hope that thread about it is still here. I dropped in to find those instructions before I install and just wanted to ask too about the mods and which are the best. I'm going to bother too, Googlepox. :)
Jonathan Braz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 am

As a combat and action game, Morrowind doesn't hold a candle to Oblivion. On the other hand, as a "world to discover", OB was a pale shadow of MW. Each game has a different strong point than the other, so which one you prefer is purely subjective.

Morrowind is certainly more difficult to start out, as you are one of the weakest things on the island (and will probably die frequently at first, while finding your way around), but you can become insanely powerful over the course of the game. There is a real possibility (or inevitability) of failure at tasks, at least until your skills improve, but there is reward to go with the risk. OB took away both the risk and the reward (or scaled the reward to make it nearly useless), making actual character progress and direction all but irrelevant. You have to experience Morrowind beyond the initial "struggling" phase to really appreciate all that it has to offer, where Oblivion is better suited to just jumping right into the action from the start.

I never had the kind of moments of revelation in OB that I got in MW, where learning about a new "technique", mastering a new ability, or finding a new enchanted trinket opened up entirely new aspects of gameplay that I hadn't even considered before. What were obstacles to my character suddenly weren't anymore, and you learned to think vertically as well as horizontally, and how to use the tools at your disposal to transcend the normal limits. In OB, it was all fairly straight-forward in comparison, and a lot of those "obstacles" were hard-coded and permanent. It's not just that so many options weren't in OB, but that after playing MW, it felt like they had been taken away.
phillip crookes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:15 am

And, yes. Morrowind looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wrMWKSTspk&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KibLnMpR1I&feature=related now! amazing! (those show the vast diversity in Morrowind)

He should remake those videos with MGE XE's dynamic shadows... http://www.invision.tesalliance.org/forums/uploads/1293133359/gallery_108_44_1487637.jpg (shot from da mage)
Micah Judaeah

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 am

Even if it's a difficult transition from Oblivion to Morrowind i still say play it to be better in tune with TES
Sarah MacLeod

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:22 am

:facepalm: *Sigh* Not this again I admit oblivion is not as good as morrowind but sheesh there is a lot of things that oblivion did better and neglecting to recognize that is ignorant.

Back to topic play Morrowind although it is way harder to mod and Gameplay can be a little dated at times, with a few mods that will pass you by try it your missing a great experience as it is my favorite elder scrolls game second to Daggerfall of course.
Tamika Jett

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:05 am

Holy loveliness that is fantastic! Where can I get it?
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:06 am

Reinstall? It was one of the first programs on this computer in all three iterations! (The first time when I got it from the store, the second time when I fresh-installed 7, and the third time when I got my SSD... four if you count that the storage HDD failed shortly thereafter and I had to replace it and reinstall most of the stuff.) Morrowind is one of those games that keeps re-attracting my attention. I am not really sure I can say that for any other game I own.

Let me say this at least: the game has been out for almost ten years, and it still attracts a lot of attention from the modding community. Most games, after ten years--heck, after five years--are but forgotten relics. You can still find Morrowind GOTY on the shelf at Best Buy. The only other games you can find after that long on the shelves of a major retailer are the ones that Nintendo re-releases every year.

So, to answer your question, you would be crazy to not reinstall it. It is not that hard to run on most modern computers, and you can update it with numerous graphical and gameplay mods if you so desire. I will admit that Morrowind is a slow game to start. However, give it a chance, and I think you will only regret having not done so sooner. Have fun!
Kevin Jay

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am

one thing,it is for sure more fun to be a vampire in mw with mods.Or evil character,necromancer and such.In oblivions favour there is some very nice vamp stuff there too,but overall mw wins easy.

only thing I can think of,animations is more fun in oblivion,the rest is covered with mods in mw.
and of course it is less handholding in mw,you can actually die very quickly,over and over again,and eventually you learn ;)
maybe a little frustrating at first,but that is part of the fun :D

so sure,give it a try,and when you are ready to give up,give it another try,it kind of grows on you,it did for me at least.
Tanya

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:57 am

OH, I agree. I am re-installing Morrowind after getting new computer (partly so I can use some of those wonderful graphics) but mostly because of the exploration and unending gameplay. It is a wonderful, if not occasionally dangerous world.
Mr.Broom30

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

I am considering replaying Morrowind. I spent the last 3-4 years playing WoW and we just got Fallout 3. I have been playing fallout 3 the past few days and have enjoyed the openness of it. It reminded me a lot of morrowind. When I played morrowind, I was constantly amazed at all that you could do....or not do. It was completely up to you on what you did. Most games up until that 'pushed' you through a certain storyline. Morrowind left it completely up to you as to what to do. Yes I had a character that did the MQ. I had another that I played as a thief/evil type. Another that did no quests just explored the world and looted dungeons and tombs. And the mods that you could add really extended the gameplay.

Coming from Morrowind, I played oblivion a little and I was disappointed in what little I played. I was expecting morrowind ver 2.0. Maybe if I had played it more I would feel different by morrowind, to me, was/is the standard to which I compare any RP game I play.

just my two cents
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 am

I'll warn you now, coming from playing Oblivion, you're going to be annoyed by: the combat, the animations, the graphics and the fact that NPC's do not have radiant AI, and therefore generally stand in the same place all the time. Only one of these things can be fixed with mods (as far as I know).

These are the things that kept me away from Morrowind for so long as well. However, I basically was in the exact same situation as you, and I also decided to reinstall Morrowind a couple weeks ago and I have been having a whole bunch of fun with it since then. I really can't explain why, I think it's just the atmosphere and the immersion of the game overall.

So I say, if you're willing to look past the things I mentioned above, give Morrowind another try. I did and I can definitely say it was worth it.

Heh honestly the "raident AI" in Oblivion annoyed me more. I hated shopkeepers never being where I want them when I need them the most. And quest NPC's wandering off to god knows where. I think there's a mod you can install for Morrowind that gives them schedules though. Living NPC's?

The animations are indeed dreadful but there's also a mod that updates the animations. It got released in 2007 or 2008? I forgot.

The graphics are easily updated to 2011 standards with MGE and texture replacers.

Nothing's really wrong with the combat. You'll land all your hits when you're agility is 70 and your weapon skill is 40-50. Pick agi as a major stat and it'll be 60 or 70 depending on your race. Get a multiplayer of x5 on it and by level 3 you'll have it at 70 no matter what. Weapon skills are easily leveled by trainers. There's a bunch of them in Balmora.

I can't wait to go back and play Morrowind though! The only thing holding me back is I'm missing the CD for it uuugh... I have my Bloodmoon and Tribunal discs but not the most important one.
Albert Wesker

Return to III - Morrowind