strange happenings - xbox question

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:41 am

Hi,

I've been playing Oblivion a while now, I'm up to level 14 and it's been going fine so far. Today I loaded my game and strange things started happening. First, all my repair hammers break on the first use, every time. Second, every hit I take, regardless of how powerful it is and if I'm blocking or not, staggers me so that I'm unable to swing my weapon or to move out of the way, meaning I just get slowly beaten to death by any enemy I come across, including things like rats. Third, almost every container I come across contains 20 gold and nothing else. A few have had weak healing potions, but mostly just the gold, and never anything else. Also, it seems like my weapons and possibly armor and degrading unusually quickly but I'm not certain on that.

I have tried reloading on all the various save games I have, but it's the same no matter what. This is, needless to say, rather frustrating. I have a feeling I'm screwed, as I'm on the xbox and therefore can't use the console to fix something. I figured I'd ask for some advice first, though, before I started yet another new game...

thanks in advance for whatever info you've got.

-yannick
Ashley Tamen

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 am

OK, I'm not an Xbox expert but can you back a saved game on Xbox via USB? If you can, delete the Game Data; start up Oblivion and it'll re-install the Game Data, then you copy the USB back into your Xbox.

Deleting Game Data is possible on the Xbox, I can't remember how though.
stevie critchley

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:04 am

OK, I'm not an Xbox expert but can you back a saved game on Xbox via USB? If you can, delete the Game Data; start up Oblivion and it'll re-install the Game Data, then you copy the USB back into your Xbox.

Deleting Game Data is possible on the Xbox, I can't remember how though.

'Tis a possibility I hadn't thought of. Having tried unsuccessfully to transfer save games in the past from one xbox to another via USB, I'm dubious it'll work, and I don't have the little USB thingy necessary... I shall borrow it from my brother and give it a go if no one else has any suggestions, and/or I can't figure anything out.

thanks,

-yannick
My blood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 am

But considering this glitch is quite game breaking, the risk of trying to re-transfer could be worth it. Google something about backing up saved games (I'll try to find some info too!)
Phillip Brunyee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 am

And by little USB thingy are you talking about that unofficial adapter?

Also since you are new to the forums...so..

http://www.uesp.net/w/images/images.new/c/c4/Fishystick.jpg

Always wanted to say that!
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

By USB thingy I mean a little memory stick type thing, I can't remember what it's actually called. My brother has one, I was under the impression it was an official xbox item, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's used in a USB port and is intended for transferring data around. I'm definitely going to give it a go, but he and I live in different cities so it might be a while before I can get my hands on his USB thingy. If it's going to be longer than anticipated, I may just have to give up my cheap ways and go buy one myself... My bro is much more technically inclined than I am to, so I'm going to consult with him as well, see if he has any ideas before I do anything rash like deleting my game and throwing my xbox out my 4th floor window.

And thank you for the fishy stick. I've perused these forums before and so have a vague idea what it is, but I shall click your link to find out more.

-yannick
Hussnein Amin

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Ha, I've had the staggering problem before as well, it really pissed me off too. But I can't remember what I did. I think I might've started over because my char. was level 1.
Hope Greenhaw

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:57 am

Ha, I've had the staggering problem before as well, it really pissed me off too. But I can't remember what I did. I think I might've started over because my char. was level 1.

I'm starting a new character as we speak, the one with the problems was a warrior type, I'm going more stealthy on this one, just to play through more quest lines (I try to stay true to my character type, ie. not join the thieves guild if I'm a warrior, and not join the fighters guild if I'm stealthy). It's also an experiment to see if the same things will happen on this game, or if it's just the other save game that's corrupted somehow.
Maria Garcia

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 am

Ok, quick update. I just started a new character and it's doing the same things already (the staggering thing anyway) and I'm only as far as when the rats pop out of the wall after the first attack on the Emperor. Sigh.
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 am

By the way a USB memory stick is available cheaply at any electronic or PC store unless you need a special one for the 360 which is unlikely.
Mackenzie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 am

By the way a USB memory stick is available cheaply at any electronic or PC store unless you need a special one for the 360 which is unlikely.

It's possible you do need a special one, but again, I could be wrong...

That being said, I moved my save games from the hard drive to the memory unit and tried playing from the memory unit, and the problem seems to be gone. I'm going to try moving them back to the hard drive and see what happens, maybe it's a problem with it rather than with the save games. If that's the case, I may really have to give up my cheap ways and buy an new hard drive. Not before asking Microsoft if they have any ideas...

Thanks for the help, bhavish, I'd forgotten all about the fact that I can move save games around. Here's hopin' it was just some weird glitch that fixed itself!

-yannick
Spaceman

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 am

You're welcome! This is what the forums are here for and I'm glad to help, let me know what happens when you put the save file back.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 am

You're welcome! This is what the forums are here for and I'm glad to help, let me know what happens when you put the save file back.

Everything's moved back to the hard drive, and seems to be working fine. No idea what the problem was, nor what made it fix itself, but I'm not complaining.

This is why I love Microsoft. Every day is a strange day with Microsoft!

Thanks again!

-yannick
Jamie Moysey

Return to IV - Oblivion