external file with OBSE

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:15 pm

Okay, Im looking to store a heap of mesh paths in an external file so thati can access them, add to them and compare them in a script.

The idea is that using a script I can compare the mesh path of an item to all those in this file, if it returns true i want set set a variable as true for another part of the script. However, i also want to be able to script in a way to add more mesh paths to this file via a script. lastly, i want to be maunally add in hundreds of pre-written paths to the file...so it would help if it was human editable.

Ive looked around but cannot find any info on making such a file, i know people can....but im stumped on what to do.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 am

Pluggy has a bunch of http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Category:File_Functions_%28Pluggy%29 that woud do it
Bethany Short

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm

can anyone write this for me...i have no clue... :shrug:
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:39 am

bump, anyone at all. ive tried looking through the introduction to these function but frankly im stumped.

From what I see they act more like a script anyway, which doesnt really help me...
Steeeph

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:37 am

anyone?
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm

I suppose the functions you need are FileToString and StringToTxtFile.

I understand that they write and read a whole text file.

So, you could create a text file with notepad, read it with FileToString, and search the string to check if a given path is present.

You could also append new Paths to the string and write the new, expanded text to the file.

I've never used any of the above, but I did use the INI file functions.

With the INI handling functions, you could create a file like this:
[MyPaths]Clutter\Books\Book01=1Clutter\Books\Book02=1Clutter\Books\Book03=1

And check the existence of a given path with this OBSE user function
scn zzzPathExistsstring_var sPathfloat vRetCodelong psFile 		;===Pluggy===long psSection  	;===Pluggy===long psKey 		;===Pluggy===begin Function {sPath}	let psFile := createstring -1 "MyFile.ini"  1 1	let psSection := createstring -1 "MyPaths" 1 1	let psKey := createstring -1 0 1 1	setString psKey $sPath	let vRetCode := IniKeyExists psFile psSection psKey 	SetFunctionValue vRetCode	DestroyString psFile 	DestroyString psSection 	DestroyString psKey 	sv_destruct sPathend

But this solution is not elegant. I think the first one is better.
sally coker

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:53 am

the trouble with FileToString is though that is doesnt read line by line, it will grab everything and put it all in one string.

If some could show me how to make it only read one line at a time I think i might be able to get it from there, but that bit stumps me.

EDIT: Or show me a way to script it so that the mesh path will go through and compare my mesh path with each mesh path in that one string.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:28 am

I think you could read the text file to memory and use http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/StringPos to check if the path you are looking for is anywhere in the file. No need to parse the file into separate lines.
But you would need to be careful with possible false positives, like "AA/BB/CC" returning true because there is a "AA/BB/CC/DD" in the file

But I've never actually used Pluggy string functions, so I don't have any code to help you.
Victoria Bartel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:19 am

StringPos should do it....though putting all on one line will be a bit messy, oh well.

Last i checked getting the mesh path got the entire thing down to the .nif so that shouldnt be a probelm with false positives.

do i put a space or tab between each path?

Olga Xx

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 am

On the file itself, do as normal: one path per line.
In memory, there will be a couple of characters (line-feed and carriage return, I suppose) between paths, but you don't have to worry about them.

If you append new paths to the file and if you want the new paths to be in different lines when the file is open in Notepad, you may add the same characters between paths.
Bigze Stacks

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 am

ahh so it doesnt have a problem with the newline character.

thats good :)
OTTO

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:56 am

hmmm.....almost working

i dont think its reading the file right, this is what i have for that bit:

let FileMale := "\DMRaces\Male.txt"...let path := getbipedmodelpath 0 upperbodyreftemplet upperbodystep := stringpos path FileMale

any help? did i put in the file directory wrong? (located at \Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Pluggy\User Files\DMRaces\male.txt)

or is it something else?

Amy Melissa

Return to IV - Oblivion