The overplayed Enclave?

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:12 pm

The Enclave, however, does span the entire country.

It doesn't. It was limited mostly to the Oil Rig during FO2 and is limited mostly to Raven Rock during FO3. They might have powerful tech, but they are very few in numbers.
jessica Villacis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:45 am

Fallout 3, suffered from some very bad writing, and lack of content. So to be honest, your correct when you say that your confused on why your character should hate the Enclave.

See, for me, all I had to do was listen to their radio station to hate them. It was probably that sort of patriotic blather that started the war in the first place.
Nick Pryce

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am

It doesn't. It was limited mostly to the Oil Rig during FO2 and is limited mostly to Raven Rock during FO3.

Not according to Eden who made explicit claim to the Enclave "having bases across the country" he referred to him staying in "contact" with them, but I suppose he could have been talking about rallying them to Raven Rock for a last stand there to grab the Purifier. Of course, I bet Eden was realizing the danger he was in all alone in the Capital wastes, makes sense to rally those around you to protect you. Would all of those 'bases' just simply be abandoned though? Also, as I remember, bases like Navarro sort of survived on their own.

See, for me, all I had to do was listen to their radio station to hate them. It was probably that sort of patriotic blather that started the war in the first place.

For the average citizen, in a crisis, emphasis of nationalism is supposed to have the opposite effect, but that's a whole other argument. I would say what really got us into the war had nothing to do with nationalism, and it is very misguided for one to think that if you know the back story well enough, the government remnant, the Enclave that is, was subverted by corporations not blind faith in some higher ideal to wipe out communism. It was CEOs and the President who cowered on the Oil Rig, not the entire United States Congress. To take the quote from a good movie "Communism was a Red Herring".
Catharine Krupinski

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:31 am

Not according to Eden who made explicit claim to the Enclave "having bases across the country" he referred to him staying in "contact" with them, but I suppose he could have been talking about rallying them to Raven Rock for a last stand there to grab the Purifier. Of course, I bet Eden was realizing the danger he was in all alone in the Capital wastes, makes sense to rally those around you to protect you. Would all of those 'bases' just simply be abandoned though? Also, as I remember, bases like Navarro sort of survived on their own.

The only similar line by Eden I found is this one:

My terminal was installed to oversee the basic functions of the facility, and to act as a relay between other installations around the country.

And it refers to pre-War times. Doesn't mean the bases are actually manned now.
Matt Bee

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm

The only similar line by Eden I found is this one:

And it refers to pre-War times. Doesn't mean the bases are actually manned now.

I imagine if there are other Enclave establishments around the country, if they are manned they are minor and Id bet many wouldve 'gone off the grid' by now or 'gone native'.
suzan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 am

I suppose I took what Eden said to mean the Enclave was really big, rather than it being restricted to the Oil Rig and Raven Rock exclusively with few exceptions, but, still, the most powerful country didn't protect more of its boys across the continent? That's hard to believe. The garrison of the Oil Rig and Raven Rock seems so small in proportion to what I would expect to be left of the military, even after a disaster.
leni

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 am

For the average citizen, in a crisis, emphasis of nationalism is supposed to have the opposite effect, but that's a whole other argument. I would say what really got us into the war had nothing to do with nationalism, and it is very misguided for one to think that if you know the back story well enough, the government remnant, the Enclave that is, was subverted by corporations not blind faith in some higher ideal to wipe out communism. It was CEOs and the President who cowered on the Oil Rig, not the entire United States Congress. To take the quote from a good movie "Communism was a Red Herring".

Misguided? Patriotism controls populations. What ever excuse anyone can come up with...lack of resources, economic, etc, it takes patriotism (and or religion) to mobilize the people.

Be that as it may, Enclave is obviously evil, and obviously anti democratic. As I said, all i had to do was listen to the radio. That provided motivation enough.
Portions

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:17 am

Patriotism is not necessarily evil. If the argument is that patriotism was the cause of the war then you are sadly mistaken, it was used, most assuredly as a way to "control" people, that was confirmed in the computer records you find in the Citadel. However, the corporate bastards who bought American democracy after World War II, started the war and created "your government" the Enclave once they found their space shuttle was destroyed and they had no way to escape a radroach and Wasteland scum infested Earth, went down with the Poseidon Oil Rig. Now that is a bit extreme, I'll admit, but its the impression I got, knowing what I do about the Military Industrial Complex and the fear of it by a REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT.

But its an explanation, for me, that reinforces neutrality the remnants of the Enclave should have been once the oil rig went down with the last remaining people who actually got the US into war so those same people might see raising profits, a free ticket on a shuttle and the ability to recreate civilization on another planet they could exclusively create. Greed is always selfish. The people who created the Enclave are greedy and selfish, the people within the Enclave, like Autumn, who are left after the oil rig and Eden are gone aren't evil.
Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 am

Why hate the Enclave? I'd say because the first ones you run into try to kill you on sight. Bad planning, maybe, but it is the Enclave approach. Look at the events of Fallout 2 after all, shooting at the first people to come out of the Vault and capture the rest.

Another reason maybe your character would hate them, or at least your father and others who were a part of Project Purity, is because of the link between Project Purity and the Brotherhood - Lyon had the Brotherhood in the area protecting them for a bit, so he probably would let them know of the Enclave.

I think this would be the last time the Enclave appear as a threat though, albeit probably could end up as a minor annoyance in a future game just to show how they've degraded even more. Does anybody else notice it's a government with few leaders and very little...well, governing? More of a military alone now, it seems.
tannis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:36 am

I suppose I took what Eden said to mean the Enclave was really big, rather than it being restricted to the Oil Rig and Raven Rock exclusively with few exceptions, but, still, the most powerful country didn't protect more of its boys across the continent? That's hard to believe. The garrison of the Oil Rig and Raven Rock seems so small in proportion to what I would expect to be left of the military, even after a disaster.

They didn't care to protect any of its citizens. You seem to have a misconception about the Enclave, thinking that they actually are a functioning US government - they are after the Great War a very small faction, with the only advantage being their technology. And it's not as if Eden was very truthful.

The Enclave was initially limited to the Oil Rig, and they were simply the high-ranking government officials, military leaders and corporation CEOs that formed the shadow government of the US. They were always very few in numbers and while there were US Army remnants in other parts of the country, they weren't part of the Enclave, and simply created their own powerful local factions, like the Brotherhood of Steel. They did not have the resources to expand too much, they only set up one major base in Navarro and some smaller outposts elsewhere. Then the Oil Rig was blown up and the remnants in Navarro and the smaller bases in California were suddenly contacted by the Eden AI, which ordered them to relocate to Raven Rock.
Rusty Billiot

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

Yes maybe but so far the Enclave has been potrayed in Fall Out 3 (not sure about Fall Out 2), they seem more like to have nazi-regiem the fev virus as there final solustion to get rid of all sentinent not in vault born lifeforms, including the son of James.

Yes, this is a thing where the good vs. bad thing is divided in the player's mind.

I personally would accept use of genocide if it was aimed to restore something. (Altho I don't accept genocide of any offensive action if the target was never part of the invader)
Laura Samson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:27 pm

I would prefer if they'd come up with a new story and enemy instead of ripping it right from Fallout 2.
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 am

Yes, this is a thing where the good vs. bad thing is divided in the player's mind.

I personally would accept use of genocide if it was aimed to restore something. (Altho I don't accept genocide of any offensive action if the target was never part of the invader)

Thats awful. What gives one group the right to say they have more of a right to exist than another?
Nana Samboy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 am

Funny, didn't Hitler use the same justifications when he exterminated the Jews? "Germany can not survive with the existence of a Jewish people" was a pretty central theme to that whole bit with final solutions. That, however, is why I said in the first place they were being overplayed as the "bad" guys.

Lets put it this way, the Enclave wanted a "pure" human race and the extermination of all mutants, that includes supermutants obviously but also the new ecosystem and the ghouls, and even partly radiated human beings that survived in the wastelands in order to "restore" America of the past. Besides being presumptuous that anyone in the wastes would want the old America back, in my book, that's all patent [censored], since we know full well the wastes, NCR and Broken Hills, could be restored even with a more "impure" humanity alongside "pure" humans.

I don't personally like the Enclave of Eden or Richardson and I think Eden, in my book, was an attempt at overplaying an original "bad" guy who's time had come and should have accepted change from its original direction. For that reason, I love who Colonel Autumn was, in my mind, he was a much better character than was Elder Lyons, when it comes to "saving the wastes" anyways.
Lori Joe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:48 am

I don't personally like the Enclave of Eden or Richardson and I think Eden, in my book, was an attempt at overplaying an original "bad" guy who's time had come and should have accepted change from its original direction. For that reason, I love who Colonel Autumn was, in my mind, he was a much better character than was Elder Lyons, when it comes to "saving the wastes" anyways.

Well, the politics of the Enclave fits well in the 50's retro Fallout universe, with it's hyper-patriotic drivel. BOS does it too with their robot, but the difference is the Enclave rams it down your throat and BOS doesn't.
Alexander Lee

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion