im trying to get into morrowind.. i really am.. help?

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:39 am

i loved (i mean frikin love loved loved oblivion)and i keep hearing that morrowind is better so i bought the game of the year edtion, added some graphic improvement mods..(no gameplay changers)and have made like 5 different characters cas sometime always frustrates me with my character creation.. im playing a stealthy mage character (but i picked the birthsign where you aborb magica and have more.. but it doesnt regeneate.. which it doesnt do anyway in morrowind)... well i got the boots of blind speed or whatever on this character so he actually moves semi fast.. now ive been to afew towns but im still level one... it seems like ever quest i do there is a massive problem... thevies guild quest where im trying to get the key i always get caugh, mages guild gettin flowers i always die trying to get across a bridge ect,

i dont know what to do.. combate is driving me nuts... i dont have more thank 1500 coin .. i cant really do anything for that little money to help.. what can i do.. what quest.. i need to improve skills but i realized that all my major skills but light armor or magic related... should have but short sword as a major.. but i RELLLY dont want to make another character.... what can i do.. do i need to go back to that first town ur in.... i didnt find much to do there... im barmawhatever ... ive sell everything i can to the creeper

also is there a house i can get or something to put all my stuff in.... do continers reset in this game like oblivion cas if not then ill just find a random crate and put all my stuff in
MatthewJontully

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 am

Also i cant hit anything... ill swing my sword and no it wont do any damage
Kerri Lee

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Also i cant hit anything... ill swing my sword and no it wont do any damage

For that part I think I can help. If your corresponding weapon skill is below 30, you can almost forget the idea of hitting your opponent. Your accuracy will be terrible. Also, when your fatigue goes down, your accuracy literally melt. Keep an eye on your fatigue bar.

But there's a few options:

-Since you're a magic user, learn a bound weapon spell and use that to fight. Bound weapons have a bonus to the weapon's skill.
-When you have some extra cash, buy some training.
-Focus on magic until you level up a couple of times.
-At the character's creation, picking the Warrior Birthsign makes a huge difference on your accuracy.
-If on PC, mods.
meghan lock

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 am

My god, so many questions! :ahhh: :ahhh:

Well, coming from Oblivion, Morrowind can be quite tough if you wander off immediately since enemies are not leveled with you and will be hard to bring down. Also fighting and magic have chances of failing (as you′ve discovered) which makes it even harder to survive. I recommend staying around Seyda Neen for a while and practice your fighting skills on mudcrabs. Level up a bit and it all will get somewhat easier as you′ll get more frequent successful hits and more damage given.

There is a house in Seyda Neen which you can use to store stuff and sleep in. It currently belongs to Foryn Gilnith but it can be yours.
Marine Arrègle

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm

also is there a house i can get or something to put all my stuff in.... do continers reset in this game like oblivion cas if not then ill just find a random crate and put all my stuff in

You say you sell everything to the Creeper. The guard towers in the town (where he is located) Caldera, is a good place to 'live' for a while, and put your stuff in the containers there. Containers do not respawn in Morrowind and your stuff will be safe.
Jah Allen

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Basically, put a weapon skill in your major skills and stick to that weapon type, and try to keep your fatigue bar as full as possible when you're fighting.

And yeah bound weapons are very useful.

If you're on PC, get the http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=19510, it fixes a lot of bugs.
helen buchan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am

Starting out in Morrowind can be rough because the enemies don't level. On the flip side that actually makes dungeon crawling suspenseful. If you want a house you need to join a Great House. I prefer the Hlaau one because it is right next to Balmora and the others are kinda in the middle of nowhere.
kiss my weasel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:21 am

...also is there a house i can get or something to put all my stuff in.... do continers reset in this game like oblivion cas if not then ill just find a random crate and put all my stuff in

Vodunius Nuccius's house in Seyda Neen is a nice little place. He leaves town after you buy his Accursed Ring (for 100 drakes.)
The house has a low level lock that can be removed with a scroll of Ondusi's Unhinging. If you lack sneak or security skills you will probably be caught but the fine is low. However don't carry any stolen property when you break in.
If you're ready try taking out the smugglers at the Addamasartus Cave (and free their slaves while you're at it.) It's just northeast of the Seyda Neen Silt Strider.
Lots of storage space.
courtnay

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:52 am

i figure out why all my attacks are missing.. i have the boots of blinding speed on.. and im using the birthsign where u dont regenerate magica but you have 50% spell reisitince.. i guess im still 50% blind with it on... soooooo. i take them off when i fight :D
liz barnes

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm

i figure out why all my attacks are missing.. i have the boots of blinding speed on.. and im using the birthsign where u dont regenerate magica but you have 50% spell reisitince.. i guess im still 50% blind with it on... soooooo. i take them off when i fight :D

You have 50% spell absorption. Look in your spells list to see if you started with 'summon ancestral ghost' and 'bound dagger'. You can summon the ghost and punch it 4 times then it will attack you (doing 1 pt damage per hit so dont worry). It will cast spells on you for you to absorb. If you just wait your ghost can fill up your magic bar. Now, you can use 'bound dagger', this summons a powerful dagger that gives you +10 short blade skill, giving you 15 total short blade which is enough to hit easy creatures like mudcrabs, rats, nix-hounds. Just rapid fire spam the attacks. Eventually you wont need the bound dagger anymore as your short blade skill goes up. Later on you can build your axe, blunt, and long blade by buying the bound spells for those weapons.

If you have zero magicka and just can't cast any spells, go look for scribs. punch one 3-4 times and just stand there. The scrib will paralyze you and many times you will absorb it and gain magicka. When it stops paralyzing you, just kill it and find another one. When you get 21 magicka back in total, summon a ghost and let it fill you back up. Dont worry that you miss a lot of times with weapons on easy creatures like scribs, they are barely hurting you even tho your screen turns red and you jerk around and make a lot of noise and moan... just watch what is happening to your health bar. You will find many times you can practically walk away and go make a snack and come back and you are still alive, gaining you armor or unarmored skill checks.

edit - also a ghost is immune to normal weapons so you can summon it, and spam hit it with a chitin axe or iron sword, etc and gain free weapon checks that way (if it is a minor or major skill)
Anna Kyselova

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 am

Another thing to consider is that weapons do damage based on the min and max values of the weapon, plus a small bonus for your strength. If you spam the attack button repeatedly, the weapon will only do the minimum amount of rated damage, but if you "hold" the attack until the weapon is fully drawn back, it will do its maximum. Skill does NOT affect damage, it only changes hit probability. This is the opposite form of silliness from Oblivion's silliness, where you can hit somebody with a 30 pound chunk of sharpened steel and only scratch them, because you're not "skilled" with it, but you hit regardless of skill.

Also, there are several different forms of attack, and if you're stabbing with an axe, or chopping with a spear, the results aren't going to be very impressive, and the local critters are going to have an easy meal at your expense. Selecting "Always Use Best Attack" from the Options menu gets rid of the problem, unless you want to use the different attacks for "flavor".

Once you're familiar with the system, you can probably take a weak character and abuse the local wildlife without any problems, but learning the nuances of game is a lot harder in MW. I've played several characters that aren't combat-oriented, with only 5s and 10s in weapons skills, and made it through the local Adamasartus smuggler cave alive at Level 1 (although not always on the first try), but that involved knowing how to make best use of the limited tools and skills available (and a little bit of Agility helps to hit stuff). Obviously, from your mention of that set of boots, you're not too limited in "tools", but a Mage's meagre combat skills can be pretty tough to start with.

[ Note: containers generally do NOT respawn, except for a few, like the Guild supply chests and some merchants' inventories. That does NOT mean that they're safe to use. Many of them are "owned" by a faction or NPC, and anything that you remove from them (even if you put it there) will be considered "stolen". The entire "class" of item is then permanently marked, so if you pull a "stolen" iron arrow out of someone's crate, ALL of the iron arrows in the game will be considered stolen, and confiscated if you're arrested for any reason. Most containers in bandit caves are safe, and usable without problems, after the bandits are "evicted". ]
josh evans

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 pm

i loved (i mean frikin love loved loved oblivion)and i keep hearing that morrowind is better so i bought the game of the year edtion, added some graphic improvement mods..(no gameplay changers)and have made like 5 different characters cas sometime always frustrates me with my character creation.. im playing a stealthy mage character (but i picked the birthsign where you aborb magica and have more.. but it doesnt regeneate.. which it doesnt do anyway in morrowind)... well i got the boots of blind speed or whatever on this character so he actually moves semi fast.. now ive been to afew towns but im still level one... it seems like ever quest i do there is a massive problem... thevies guild quest where im trying to get the key i always get caugh, mages guild gettin flowers i always die trying to get across a bridge ect,

i dont know what to do.. combate is driving me nuts... i dont have more thank 1500 coin .. i cant really do anything for that little money to help.. what can i do.. what quest.. i need to improve skills but i realized that all my major skills but light armor or magic related... should have but short sword as a major.. but i RELLLY dont want to make another character.... what can i do.. do i need to go back to that first town ur in.... i didnt find much to do there... im barmawhatever ... ive sell everything i can to the creeper

This seems difficult at first, since your only level one... But you'll soon notice as you progress, that your weapons stop svcking, and you can loot and pillage all you want.
As for money, I heavily suggest alchemy. Potion ingredients are easy to find and the potions themselves are rather expensive for what it is worth.
You'll also come to notice that Morrowind is much more customizable than Oblivion (with pauldron, medium armor, and various other skills), and you can even enchant your own items, which saves time and money.

Don't try to endlessly fight mudcrabs to level up, try doing quests in which you kill a law breaker (such as the murder of the tax collector in Seyda Neen), or go kill thugs in caves. If they turn out to be more powerful than you, you can always walk out the door and rest. But dont worry, eventually resting will be a myth to you.
Dont let your fatigue get low, you should have seen the "Walk when you think there may be danger ahead" tip, because fatigue affects your hit % and your spell cast %... Dont cast fire spells on the Dumner (dark elves), its a waste of time and magicka

The sign you took, The Atronach, gives you more initial magicka, but you will not regenerate it unless you use potions or someone casts a spell on you, and you abosrb it. The abosrb rate is roughly 50%.

DO NOT BE A LAW BREAKER
This would make the game more difficult, even if you obtain better stuff this way. I do notice that there is a major lack of readily available humanoid enemies in the game from which to obtain weapons and armor, but do not fret, cause that should change when your about level 5.
Cartoon

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:44 pm

This seems difficult at first, since your only level one... But you'll soon notice as you progress, that your weapons stop svcking, and you can loot and pillage all you want.
As for money, I heavily suggest alchemy. Potion ingredients are easy to find and the potions themselves are rather expensive for what it is worth.
You'll also come to notice that Morrowind is much more customizable than Oblivion (with pauldron, medium armor, and various other skills), and you can even enchant your own items, which saves time and money.

Don't try to endlessly fight mudcrabs to level up, try doing quests in which you kill a law breaker (such as the murder of the tax collector in Seyda Neen), or go kill thugs in caves. If they turn out to be more powerful than you, you can always walk out the door and rest. But dont worry, eventually resting will be a myth to you.
Dont let your fatigue get low, you should have seen the "Walk when you think there may be danger ahead" tip, because fatigue affects your hit % and your spell cast %... Dont cast fire spells on the Dumner (dark elves), its a waste of time and magicka

The sign you took, The Atronach, gives you more initial magicka, but you will not regenerate it unless you use potions or someone casts a spell on you, and you abosrb it. The abosrb rate is roughly 50%.

DO NOT BE A LAW BREAKER
This would make the game more difficult, even if you obtain better stuff this way. I do notice that there is a major lack of readily available humanoid enemies in the game from which to obtain weapons and armor, but do not fret, cause that should change when your about level 5.

i was going to try alchemy then realized that it was level 10 and i cant see ANY effects the plants have i have 4 rows of question marks...
kirsty williams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 am

i was going to try alchemy then realized that it was level 10 and i cant see ANY effects the plants have i have 4 rows of question marks...

Although at 10 your chances of brewing a potion will be pretty low, you can still try mixing ingredients together until you find a good combination. In other words, you don't need to see the effects to use them.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 pm

I admit to having a short attention span, but Oblivion was better at letting you get into the game. I "power leveled" in Oblivion (360 version), and that made it a fun game once I got some skill under my belt.

Oblivion most always makes it a hit if you visually hit the target....damage is affected based on skill.

Morrowind makes getting a hit based on skill, which is darn frustrating in close quarters combat. Magic is likewise frustrating.

My solution (PC version)....I made a custom character and picked skills I'd not use a lot of (to control leveling) and moved those to the Major and Minor skills. The "other" skills (that don't count towards leveling), I made all my magic, armor and alchemy skills. I used the console to set all them to 100. Now I could run about, play the game but still level up as I used my level-generating skills.

I suppose you could just cheat a little and bump your skills to 60 or 75 rather than 100, but the time it would take for me to level up in Morrowind would have taken more effort than I was prepared to put into it. Made it a lot more fun. Even then I have a lot of hours tied into the game so far.
oliver klosoff

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:42 am

Unlike OB, where it pays to take your most useful skills as Minor, you NEED those skills as Majors to survive the initial stages of the game in MW. I do not recommend taking your combat skills as minors, and I'm not exactly fond of "exploits" (alchemy abuse, etc.) and outright cheats (console codes to raise your skills to 100) to make your character overly powerful at Level 1. It's the journey that's important, not the destination, and I find that there's really no sense of satisfaction in having everything just handed to you from the start.
Richard Dixon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:40 am

It's the journey that's important, not the destination, and I find that there's really no sense of satisfaction in having everything just handed to you from the start.

I agree, but I'm ADD enough that I just didn't want to have to sit down and figure out each step to grind up skills so that I could experience the game as a whole work. It was hard enough to do in Oblivion.
Sarah MacLeod

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Quit trying to pickpocket the key. That was my mistake when I tried that quest the first time too. Bribe him a few times, get his disposition up to 70, then ask him about the manor. He'll hint at giving him an incentive -- one more bribe and he gives you the key without hesitation. Many times in situations like that, persuasion is the key.

For money, make a quick trip to Suran. There is a trader there (can't remember the name, he's up on the upper level of the city) with a dreugh armor set, no one in the shop with him (in vanilla -- I have a mod that adds schedules, so I have to be careful, lol), and killing him doesn't alert guards or give you a fine. Many characters are like this: if they are 'known' in the world as a criminal killing them is not a problem, even in view of other characters. The argonian wandering around the silt strider in Balmora is another, though killing him is worthless (he has nothing of value). Anyway, the dreugh armor is worth 4,000+, and the helmet is a bit less. Take these to Creeper, and while there don't forget to grab the orc armor set on the top floor of the manor. The orc up there will yell at you, but nothing happens. Sell all of it to Creeper will get you a good monetary base to get some training.

You can feel safe doing a few actual 'quests' during your first level, but you'll want to stick with wandering around the outdoors and killing wildlife for the first level or two. Take a walk up to gnisis on foot. I got my original character waaaaaaay back in '05 when I first started playing Morrowind up to level 3 just getting there from Balmora.
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 am

Funny that nobody else has mentioned this yet, I expect you will get help by reading the Wiki article http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players

Also, if you are on the PC you can use the Console command Enablestatreviewmenu to change your character creation choices. Since you are really bugged about starting again, this may bring some relief

Finally, WELCOME to Morrowind, (in my opinion) the better of the two games. Have a Fishy Stick
asako

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 am

I had the hardest time switching from Oblivion to Morrowind. What helped me a lot was choosing my major skills carefully. Make sure you have your weapon of choice, favorite spell type, and armor type as your major/minor skills. When fighting you have to wait for your fatigue bar to fill up before each swing to both increase your chances of hitting and amount of damage dealt. Your weapon skill only effects the hit/miss ratio and agility allows you to avoid getting hit. What I did at first was monster hunting around the northwestern side and south of balmora. I hope this helps.
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 am

-- Any time you deal with an NPC (persuasion, trade) - make sure you are at max fatigue.
Low fatigue will make you fail more often, and you end up Losing money with the merchants.

-- Don't make your main weapon type a Major or Minor Skill.
You will regret leveling up on blades when you start facing Golden Saints and Daedroth who look at your 40 endurance and fall over laughing.
It is best to have heavy or medium armor as a leveling skill, and avoid the other skills you picked to level with in the early game.
Amy Smith

Return to III - Morrowind